By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will Japan EARTHQUAKE effect 3DS launch?

kitler53 said:

i agree with this post and the japonese will be in my heart and prayers.

OT - I'm a bit light on details because this is the first I've heard about the earthquake but if it really was a big quake my first thoughts in regards to video game sales and i believe nintendo does of the final manufacuturing of their hardware in japan.  i could easily see a significant impact on the supply of 3DSs for the americas and european launches.  not that all of the japonese based systems wouldn't be affected but the affect on the 3DS is probably larger as there isn't any systems already in the supply chain.

believed to be 8.9 on the richter scale, worst in japan in 150 years or something and 7th worse ever... I think they are the figures from memory. 8.9 seems to be 100 true and the japan date of the last one like this was 1843 i think

Bet with Conegamer and Doobie_wop 

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

Around the Network

8.9, 5th strongest quake since 1900.

As for the thread itself, It's really just something most of us were thinking and someone was bound to ask, and people were bound to see it as distasteful.

I bet it will effect all japanese gaming in the short run, but will recover fairly soon (maybe 3-6 months) Japan has the 3rd largest economy (I believe) in the world, so it will recover a lot faster than say, Chile or certainly Haiti, and most of the other countries that have experieced similar catastrophies.

LISTEN TO THE FIRST WORLD PODCAST REAL GAMERS, REAL AWESOME

We all have practical, selfish implications of tragic events to consider. I'm wondering if this is going to effect my March 31st -> April 1st flight into Japan (they said Narita was shut down but i can't imagine that lasting more than 48 hours or so)

I can't imagine what it would be like over there, and i do feel bad for just worrying about my trip there, but there it is. As for 3DS, we'll see. A 1 to 2 week drop in everything should have even impact across the board, and even then, physical damage to the coastline was more northward of Tokyo itself, so the bigger market isn't as effected directly, but general confusion and mourning will keep things repressed, and 3DS will recover in the long-run because ultimately the software is there

I'd be more interested to know if outbound 3DS shipments were effected

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Nintendogamer said:

Wouldn't this affect all systems? and what magnitude was this earthquake? and I hope this wont affect 3DS sales.

Fuck console sales, god some people are just so obsessed with the console wars. People are dying over there ...

milkyjoe said:
NotStan said:
mushroomboy5 said:

Good to see amidst disaster and destruction some people have their priorities sorted.

Exactly what I thought after reading the thread title.

It makes you proud to be a gamer, doesn't it?

Yep

In all honesty, surely it'll effect all the consoles? And the 3DS will likely hold up the best.

So, EU issues with Sony, Japan Earthquake, amazing Wii sales in America... Strange week eh?

In all honesty, Seece is right. People are dying. People are losing their loved ones and possessions, and console sales isn't the most important thing.

God, people need to get their priorities straight in times like this...

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network
Seece said:
Nintendogamer said:

Wouldn't this affect all systems? and what magnitude was this earthquake? and I hope this wont affect 3DS sales.

Fuck console sales, god some people are just so obsessed with the console wars. People are dying over there ...

I know that is true, but seece you can't expect people to relate. I remember Haiti, people were like why are we aiding them, we should worry about our own shit. I think people just generally look forward to things they like more, and plus I think nintendogamer has no idea, how large this earthquake is.  

Well, if you all like Japan so much buy everything from there. Sony and Nintendo products, for example. If you are really worried about the video game market situation there, let's buy every piece of hardware and software they send to the West. Because if they have to rebuild everything they will need our money. I just imagine who in a moment like that will support piracy and jailbreakers.

I really don't care.  The earthquake and its impact is a whole lot more important than some games.  Sorry to sound precious, but really, c'mon, of course people won't be buying stuff but so what?  It really doesn't matter squat right now for Japan.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

rccsetzer said:

Well, if you all like Japan so much buy everything from there. Sony and Nintendo products, for example. If you are really worried about the video game market situation there, let's buy every piece of hardware and software they send to the West. Because if they have to rebuild everything they will need our money. I just imagine who in a moment like that will support piracy and jailbreakers.

You stll butthurt over the whole hacking issue? I don't see how it relates to the matter at hand, it's not like Sony/Nintendo are the government in Japan.. Really.. :/

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

Not really.

I trust no one, not even myself.