By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Against The Grain: Wii2 at this years E3???

Against The Grain: Wii2 at this years E3???

Hell yeah! Bout time! 72 36.92%

No way man. Nintendo's too core for that 73 37.44%

They'll announce it but there's no need 24 12.31%

It'll be announced BEFORE E3!! OMFG!!! 5 2.56%

...it's Nintendo, kiddy...who cares? 21 10.77%

Total:195

Conegamer said:
Metallicube said:

I posted this in another topic but it's pretty relevant here as well, so I'm going to be lazy and copy and paste:

IMO Nintendo should not even toy with the notion that they are currently working on their next console at E3, becuase this will further cause sales to plummet as people on the fence will hold off on buying Wii, waiting intsead for the next console. MAYBE have a teaser or brief reveal at TGS.. But I still say the very earliest they should release it is late 2012. Nintendo made a commitment with Wii, which I believe hasn't been fully delivered yet. Gotta follow through.. Wii still has one last run in it (even without Vitality Sensor, which I believe should be reserved for the next console). In their arsenal at any time they can unleash another NSMB, Wii series game, price drop, and perhaps further bundles.

I agree. Sounds right to me...

Where was this other thread anyway, out of interest?

That'd be this one:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=125596&page=3&str=1009892072#9

Around the Network
jarrod said:
NoirSon said:

Unless the 3DS flops hard before E3, no way do they undercut LoZ: Skyward Sword and DQX (in Japan) by announcing a Wii 2.

Wii 2 may actually help both games in Japan.  DQVII being launched so soon after PS2's introduction in Japan seemed to actually help it attract attention thanks to backwards compatibility (and no real launch games worth bothering with).  Having a ton a new Wii 2's out there driving sales may be just what Zelda/DQX need to help combat the general Wii malaise in Japan.

Anyway, an E3 announcement wouldn't surprise me, but if it happens then we're looking at a spring 2012 launch for the west (similar to the 3DS timeline).  They could do it, but I sort of question if Nintendo's internal teams and external partners will really have enough ready to go by then in terms of games... more likely I expect some more Wii announcements (Pokemon BR2, Pikmin 3, Mario Golf, possibly Star Fox, etc) to carry it through E3 2012, with Wii 2 being announced first around TGS, revealed around GDC, playable at E3, for an eventual summer (Japan) / fall (west) 2012 launch.  Nintendo may also tie the first announcement to their financial calendar instead, depending on how their stock fares through the year.

For what Wii 2 actually is, I'm expecting a PS3-plus spec chipset (likely from IBM/AMD again), 1080p/i/3D standard, Blu-ray drive, modest flash drive (say 8GB) with SD card expandability, full Wii backwards compatibility (Wii, WiiWare, Virtual Console) but no GameCube, similar control setup (Wii Remote Plus & Nunchuck) though the Nunchuck will likely have additional motion sensors and the remote should have a biofeedback sensor (aka: Vitality Sensor) built in, 3D camera in the sensor bar, eShop and other channel services, universal friend code, probably a Classic Controller (Pro-ish) and Wii Sports 3D disc bundled in, all for about $299.  The big "hook" imo is going to be the biofeedback based expanded gameplay functionality, which is something Valve seems to coincidentally be talking about, while the HD/3D visual upgrade, improved online functionality and evolutionary camera/gyro controls take more of a backseat promotion wise.  Biofeedback should be Nintendo's next big differentiator, though if it takes off you can probably expect it grafted on to PS4 and Xbox 3 a year or three down the line.

If we do get a showing at E3, it would probably be a FULL unveiling of the console. Nintendo may also hold events around the globe for launch titles and stuff (like they are doing with the 3DS). If the Wii2 does launch in 2012, it may lack launch games, because most Nintendo teams are busy with the Wii and 3DS.

If the Wii gets fully revealed in 2012, your release plan seems pretty accurate.

On the topic of the console itself, I don't expect the Wii2 to be a Wii 1.5. Nintendo may go with IBM/ATI again, but somthing tells me they willwork with Intel, or Toshiba to make a Wii2 specific engine that is about twice as powerful as the PS3, or more, and has shaders, and all that stuff.Nintendo has said that it will be HD, but 3D may not be in it. Unless 3D TVs get a major price drop, I doubt the Wii2 will support it. It will probably use a modified Blu-Ray format to avoid licensing fees to the DVD Consortorium. My guess is that it will have at least a 40 GB flash/hard drive, but it depends on how Nintendo adopts digital distribution.

I'm betting it may or may not have GC backward compatibility through VC (again, it depends on Nintendo's stance on digital distribution), but GC disc compatibility is a given. Everything else you said, I agree with

Snesboy said:

Where is the "don't care" voting option?

There isn't one because if anyone comes into this thread , it means they at least care  a little.

Play4Fun said:
Snesboy said:

Where is the "don't care" voting option?

There isn't one because if anyone comes into this thread , it means they at least care  a little.

Fine, but I don't expect N6 to be shown at E3.

Carl2291 said:
Conegamer said:

Balls...so...many...balls...

http://www.sourcewire.com/releases/rel_display.php?relid=63248

Just for you Carl

Thanks, that's pretty shocking...

Nice balls, too.

NP. Then again it depends who they talk to. If 80% of them were over 65 then yes, it sounds about right. It doesn't specify how many people from each age group were selected, and they may also have stopped them outside of Microsoft's XBox 360 HQ or something

I find it shocking, but unlikely. Balls are more revelant here

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network

Won't hear next to nothing from the successor, now believe!!! :P 

And proud member of the Mega Mario Movement!
IamAwsome said:

If we do get a showing at E3, it would probably be a FULL unveiling of the console. Nintendo may also hold events around the globe for launch titles and stuff (like they are doing with the 3DS). If the Wii2 does launch in 2012, it may lack launch games, because most Nintendo teams are busy with the Wii and 3DS.

If the Wii gets fully revealed in 2012, your release plan seems pretty accurate.

On the topic of the console itself, I don't expect the Wii2 to be a Wii 1.5. Nintendo may go with IBM/ATI again, but somthing tells me they willwork with Intel, or Toshiba to make a Wii2 specific engine that is about twice as powerful as the PS3, or more, and has shaders, and all that stuff.Nintendo has said that it will be HD, but 3D may not be in it. Unless 3D TVs get a major price drop, I doubt the Wii2 will support it. It will probably use a modified Blu-Ray format to avoid licensing fees to the DVD Consortorium. My guess is that it will have at least a 40 GB flash/hard drive, but it depends on how Nintendo adopts digital distribution.

I'm betting it may or may not have GC backward compatibility through VC (again, it depends on Nintendo's stance on digital distribution), but GC disc compatibility is a given. Everything else you said, I agree with

I figured they'd move on from IBM specifically (and do a SOC AMD solution), but we had news reports awhile back that IBM was working with them again iirc.  I can't ever really see them going with Intel though, if it's not IBM or AMD for the CPU, it'll probably be an ARM chip or something.

3D though is something Nintendo's pushing for internally for years it seems.  It might not be implemented right away if the standards aren't where Nintendo wants, but I think Wii 2 will still be designed with 3D display in mind, and then "switch on" when the television technology/adoption is where Nintendo finds it acceptable (ie: glassless).

I also think they're going to drop GC disc compatibility because (a) it allows them to use a cheaper optical drive carriage and (b) it allows them to drop the GCN controller/card ports.  These are small cost savings, but they're exactly the sort of thing Nintendo does over time (see DS/GBm dropping GB compatibility due to Z80/voltage and DSi/3DS dropping GBA compatibility due to the cart slot).  I do think we'll see GameCube on the Wii 2's Virtual Console though (alongside other optical media based platforms like Saturn, Dreamcast and 3DO).

TripleMMM said:

Won't hear next to nothing from the successor, now believe!!! :P 

So...does it mean that you reckon we'll hear loads about it then?

:-p

Conegamer said:

I would be surprised if we get a spice of hint on the show floor (even a slip up from their own lips).

And proud member of the Mega Mario Movement!
TripleMMM said:
Conegamer said:

I would be surprised if we get a spice of hint on the show floor (even a slip up from their own lips).

True. Not long now though to wait