By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Against The Grain: Wii2 at this years E3???

Against The Grain: Wii2 at this years E3???

Hell yeah! Bout time! 72 36.92%

No way man. Nintendo's too core for that 73 37.44%

They'll announce it but there's no need 24 12.31%

It'll be announced BEFORE E3!! OMFG!!! 5 2.56%

...it's Nintendo, kiddy...who cares? 21 10.77%

Total:195
jarrod said:
IamAwsome said:

If we do get a showing at E3, it would probably be a FULL unveiling of the console. Nintendo may also hold events around the globe for launch titles and stuff (like they are doing with the 3DS). If the Wii2 does launch in 2012, it may lack launch games, because most Nintendo teams are busy with the Wii and 3DS.

If the Wii gets fully revealed in 2012, your release plan seems pretty accurate.

On the topic of the console itself, I don't expect the Wii2 to be a Wii 1.5. Nintendo may go with IBM/ATI again, but somthing tells me they willwork with Intel, or Toshiba to make a Wii2 specific engine that is about twice as powerful as the PS3, or more, and has shaders, and all that stuff.Nintendo has said that it will be HD, but 3D may not be in it. Unless 3D TVs get a major price drop, I doubt the Wii2 will support it. It will probably use a modified Blu-Ray format to avoid licensing fees to the DVD Consortorium. My guess is that it will have at least a 40 GB flash/hard drive, but it depends on how Nintendo adopts digital distribution.

I'm betting it may or may not have GC backward compatibility through VC (again, it depends on Nintendo's stance on digital distribution), but GC disc compatibility is a given. Everything else you said, I agree with

I figured they'd move on from IBM specifically (and do a SOC AMD solution), but we had news reports awhile back that IBM was working with them again iirc.  I can't ever really see them going with Intel though, if it's not IBM or AMD for the CPU, it'll probably be an ARM chip or something.

3D though is something Nintendo's pushing for internally for years it seems.  It might not be implemented right away if the standards aren't where Nintendo wants, but I think Wii 2 will still be designed with 3D display in mind, and then "switch on" when the television technology/adoption is where Nintendo finds it acceptable (ie: glassless).

I also think they're going to drop GC disc compatibility because (a) it allows them to use a cheaper optical drive carriage and (b) it allows them to drop the GCN controller/card ports.  These are small cost savings, but they're exactly the sort of thing Nintendo does over time (see DS/GBm dropping GB compatibility due to Z80/voltage and DSi/3DS dropping GBA compatibility due to the cart slot).  I do think we'll see GameCube on the Wii 2's Virtual Console though (alongside other optical media based platforms like Saturn, Dreamcast and 3DO).

The perfect example of a 3D system that never had the functionity enabled is the GameCube. It was designed the exact way you say the Wii2 wil be designed.

Also after reading what you said about BC, I'm starting to agree with you. Just one thing

1. Even if the Wii doesn't have GCN compatibility out of the box, hackers will probably still find away around it and hack the Wii2 for GC compatibility, after all, if you can emulate the Wii, you can emulate the GC.

Also, why would they put the unpopular 3DO on VC?

Around the Network
IamAwsome said:

The perfect example of a 3D system that never had the functionity enabled is the GameCube. It was designed the exact way you say the Wii2 wil be designed.

Also after reading what you said about BC, I'm starting to agree with you. Just one thing

1. Even if the Wii doesn't have GCN compatibility out of the box, hackers will probably still find away around it and hack the Wii2 for GC compatibility, after all, if you can emulate the Wii, you can emulate the GC.

Yeah, I agree that hackers will (in time) probably find a way to use Wii backwards compatibility to still run GameCube iso and maybe even discs.  Like DS in 3DS though, I think Wii on Wii 2 will be done through emulation (which should also allow them to render the games in higher resolutions) rather than hardware (like GBA on DS or GC on Wii).

As far as 3DO, it's just another platform to add in the queue plus Panasonic owns the rights to it.   Then again, it had pretty awful JP support (pretty much everything interesting on it is available in superior form on Saturn or DC anyway), so maybe it won't happen.

jarrod said:
IamAwsome said:

Yeah, I agree that hackers will (in time) probably find a way to use Wii backwards compatibility to still run GameCube iso and maybe even discs.  Like DS in 3DS though, I think Wii on Wii 2 will be done through emulation (which should also allow them to render the games in higher resolutions) rather than hardware (like GBA on DS or GC on Wii).

As far as 3DO, it's just another platform to add in the queue plus Panasonic owns the rights to it.   Then again, it had pretty awful JP support (pretty much everything interesting on it is available in superior form on Saturn or DC anyway), so maybe it won't happen.

To add to that, lack of popularity isn't a hindrance for Virtual Console status, as the Turbo-CD games can attest.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

I agree wii2 will most likely release fall 2012.

But wouldn't it be amazing if there was a full reveal this year. A release declaring that amongst other game changing ideas, the base graphical output of the wii2 was for all games to be 1080p at 60 fps. With roughly 4 times the power of the PS3. Launching with a seperate version of Zelda. A new Mario, a new wii sports, mario kart, new ip's, and most importantly; overwhelming 3rd party support.

wow.

we can dream cant we?

̶3̶R̶D̶   2ND! Place has never been so sweet.

Let me see...

2000 - Gameboy Advance

2002 - Nintendo Gamecube

2004- Nintendo DS

2006- Nintendo Wii

2011- Nintendo 3DS

So my bet is that the next nintendo home console will be shown on E3 2012 and released worldwide in late 2013. Which means 2 years after the 3DS like it happened in past history.

And i also bet that the control scheme of the next nintendo console will be an improved wii remote with the wii vitality sensor incorporated (but without the thing to put the finger... just by holding the remote it can read our heart beat). That is my explanation for the absense of wii vitality sensor on the wii...

Around the Network

Ya know. I am really begining to wonder if I care about any new home system coming up. They will have to do a lot to wow me. (any of them) I have noticed a big part of what I like to play is on handhelds (JRPG's/Platforming). WIth Ninty putting so much effort on new games and Sony have a decent amount of third party games I like (on Handhelds) I am starting to think I have no reason to buy a home console. Even if I do I will be buying a lot less games for it. (Becoming a Nintendo Zombie as someone calls them)  After this Gen I can only think of a handful of third party games I would ever buy on a Ninty console again. There are some gems, but man did they really give the Wii the shaft.

ultraslick said:

I agree wii2 will most likely release fall 2012.

But wouldn't it be amazing if there was a full reveal this year. A release declaring that amongst other game changing ideas, the base graphical output of the wii2 was for all games to be 1080p at 60 fps. With roughly 4 times the power of the PS3. Launching with a seperate version of Zelda. A new Mario, a new wii sports, mario kart, new ip's, and most importantly; overwhelming 3rd party support.

wow.

we can dream cant we?

You'd think so. The Wii has already 'fallen from grace' so there's not much which can save it

4 times the PS3's power? Fine, just lend me the $1,500 price for it then and the severe unreliability and we'll be on our way

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Nintendo needs to 'catch up' with its hardware tech, and the revelation of a new Nintendo console at this year's E3 expo in June would come as no surprise, according to industry analyst Arvind Bhatia.

Nintendo's more affordable approach to the current generation of consoles means the lower-priced Wii is significantly underpowered when compared to Sony and Microsoft's high performance, high-definition machines. 

Bhatia doesn't expect Sony or MS to introduce updates to their consoles for 'the next two to three years at the absolute least', according to Gamasutra, but reckons Nintendo's need to update is more urgent. 

The Stern Agee analyst reckons Nintendo could be preparing to reveal something pertaining to the Wii's successor this year, even if it doesn't show the hardware itself. 

"We would not be surprised if Nintendo unveiled the specifications of its next console at E3 in June this year, followed by product introduction early next year," he told Gama.

A recent survey estimates that almost half of the Wii owners in UK haven't played their console in the past six months. 

CVG, source from Gamaustra

What do you reckon about that? A lot of false hope there for my liking

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

nope won't happen.

so much money left to be made for Nintendo when your comp will never catch up.

Why would they need to release a Wii 2 right now? Sales of the original Wii are still doing fine.

Hardcore gamers have been against the Wii from day 1, and now that it's so massively successful, they are eager to see it replaced as quickly as possible.

From a developers perspective, the extra cost and resources of developing Wii HD games just wouldn't make sense, especially when it's so close to the launch of the 3DS. I'm sure Nintendo is counting on the 3DS and Wii to share content now that they have similar processing power. For instance, we've heard of Epic Mickey and Goldeneye coming to the 3DS, and in the same respect games made for the 3DS can come to the Wii with little to no optimization.

The only thing Nintendo needs to do is keep the Wii experience fresh by releasing new, compelling software.