By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Mario 3DS and Zelda SS will flop

Acevil said:

Doubtful, but everyone is intitled to their opinion. 

True. I don't think either game will flop. Mario DS does look like Mario 64 with some Mario Galaxy thrown in, but both of those games were great, so I can't see this game flopping.

'gaming till I'm gone'

Around the Network

I don't know if it is going to flop, but I sure want this Super Mario 3DS to crash and burn so hard Nintendo won't do a new 3D Mario for 18 years.

Above: still the best game of the year.

Phoenix_Wiight said:

I think he's joking... and if he's not... even if Mario 3DS was terrible, it would still sell 10mil plus.

What makes you think that? No 3D Mario besides 64 (and that one was bundled in some places) has sold over 10 million.

Soleron said:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gdc-11-zelda-skyward/711140

http://static.arstechnica.net/assets/2011/03/nintendo_gdc_intro-thumb-640xauto-19924.jpg

Disclaimers: Yes I am judging immediately from very limited screenshots/video, and flop means in financial expectations of Nintendo not that it won't sell a million.

Mario 3DS

Look at the screenshot. Particularly the left edge of the lower left image. It's the edge of a floating platform. Also the ? block. It's reusing art assets from Galaxy/Galaxy 2.

It's Super Mario Galaxy 3.

Due to this and being in the same position as Super Mario 64 DS (3D Mario near launch), I think it will sell less than either of SMG2 and SM64DS and be the weakest selling main Mario game ever. From what I can see it has nothing to attract new people to Mario if they didn't already like Galaxy; it doesn't look like a coherent Mushroom Kingdom and looks like a linear series of arbitrary platforming challenges (contrast Mario 64's large worlds to explore).

i don't understand how you can glean that much from four screenshots, way to early to make a judgement on this

Beuli2 said:
Phoenix_Wiight said:

I think he's joking... and if he's not... even if Mario 3DS was terrible, it would still sell 10mil plus.

What makes you think that? No 3D Mario besides 64 (and that one was bundled in some places) has sold over 10 million.

True... but there's a first time for everything.

Around the Network

Mario 3DS... you're comparing it to a port of an older game. This will be a fully new SMB game and not a 3rd "Galaxy" game. It will be within the realm of other 3D mario games like SM64 and Galaxy.

ZedlaSS... you're simply crazy with your opinion. I think the art looks great and you can tell from the videos that the motion controls for the sword will be spot on. As long as it has a good level of difficulty (i.e. harder than TP) and fills in the other clearly Zelda elements, it will do just fine and might just out do TP in sales as its probably the last big game for Wii.

no idea where you are getting Galaxy 3 out of this but.....okay

superchunk said:

Mario 3DS... you're comparing it to a port of an older game. This will be a fully new SMB game and not a 3rd "Galaxy" game. It will be within the realm of other 3D mario games like SM64 and Galaxy.

ZedlaSS... you're simply crazy with your opinion. I think the art looks great and you can tell from the videos that the motion controls for the sword will be spot on. As long as it has a good level of difficulty (i.e. harder than TP) and fills in the other clearly Zelda elements, it will do just fine and might just out do TP in sales as its probably the last big game for Wii.

Don't go calling Mario 3DS a new "Super Mario Brothers". The games have nothing in common, except in Nintendo's mind.

Beuli2 said:
superchunk said:

Don't go calling Mario 3DS a new "Super Mario Brothers". The games have nothing in common, except in Nintendo's mind.

How do you figure?

Looks to me like a new 3D Super Mario game just like M64 and the two Galaxy games.

DrZoidberg said:

i don't understand how you can glean that much from four screenshots, way to early to make a judgement on this

Completely agree.

However when I make a retrospective thread in a year's time, it will not contain the 'Double Facepalm' image because I think I will be right.

To make a prediction thread it's required to be extreme.

I'm not saying they'll call it SMG3, I'm saying I believe that's what it is and it'll sell like one. I have no real basis for that.