By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Results: Best Graphics

MikeB said:

I didn't expect Gears of War 2 to top Heavy Rain or good old Uncharted: Drake's Fortune which sports superior lighting and anti-aliasing.

Actually I thought most 360 fans last year crowned Mass Effect 2 to be the best looking 360 game... So graphical expectations are higher for Gears of War 3 than Mass Effect 3 now?

What expectations ?

Bioware said the PS3 version of Mass Effect 2 is made with the ME3 engine, which basically confirms that ME3 will very likely look just like ME2 without any improvements. (or very few ones)

Around the Network

@ Barozi

I think the small graphical improvements found in the PS3 version of Mass Effect 2 compared to the 360 version does not per se need to be indicative of what to expect for Mass Effect 3. Mass Effect 2 on the PS3 is still mainly built from assets already built for previous versions.

IMO the main technical implication for Mass Effect 3 to not be able to top the top graphics lists is mainly because the game needs to run on the 360 as well, but this also counts for Gears of War 3.  I still think Mass Effect 3 will be superior to Mass Effect 2 though on both PS3 and 360 if they made more use of PS3 style coding/structuring techniques (makes sense) which benefits all modernly specced gaming platforms (such as PC/Mac/PS3/360/NGP).

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

osamanobama said:

and no, there are no games on either xbox or ps3 that look better than 

KZ3, KZ2, Uncharted 2, or God of War 3. 

thats according to reviewers, and tech sites like digital foundry and lense of truth, and my own eyes.

and no multiplat engine like the UE3 will produce graphics to those levels, theres just to many weaknesses to multiplat engines.

thats wrong my professor works with alot of different engines and hes confirmed to me that you can as long as you put in the effort. and what weaknesses are you talking about in multiplat engines. and those games you named engines could probably produce multiplat games.

Invalid survey...

Popular games will garner more points and thus skew any meaningful result.

Jog on

Gran Turismo 5 (2d) shouldn't be on that list. I love the game, but it's graphics are kind of dissappointing.

Around the Network

So, FFXIII is the best looking multiplatform according to that list , that's very good and true

KZ3 deserves to be higher but it's got beaten by only 2 graphical powerhorses , one can't really complain , also MGS4 and Uncharted are too high but at least they really shine at some areas . Forza 3 is way too low I guess , from what I saw it almost as good as GT5 graphically

Well , thank you for your effort making the list

ghaleon1980 said:

This is hilarious.  You guys are trying to justify Alan Wake and Mass Effect 2 not being on here?  

I still can't believe it....MGS4?  Uncharted 1?  wow... whatever

Either way, this poll is just for fun so it's cool 

You laugh and yet I can prove I've played every game listed can you? And yes Alan Wake and Mass Effect 2 ARE superior looking to MGS4 and UC1.  Have you even played those 2 games in the past two years?  They've certainly been passed up and yes they were the best at their time, they currently aren't.  At all.

@ Mad55

>and those games you named engines could probably produce multiplat games

PS 3 exclusive engines can generally be ported (extremely hand optimised parts will be harder), but there are some issues if you would like to use such an engine as a 360 engine for running the specific PS3 game.

For example more and more stuff has been moved to the Cell's SPUs for such engines, an issue will be for the 360 CPU to process all the code at acceptable speed. Also the PS3 has a seperate bus for graphics memory and high speed main memory (which can be used for the GPU to double bandwidth), that's a significant difference compared to the unified memory approach on a single bus combined with limited EDRAM (will result to tiling). Another example would be the usage of Blu-Ray (constant predictable data delivery)/harddrive (high speed compared to Blu-Ray/DVD reading) optimised streaming, a 360 game would need different care for best optimised streaming (no default harddrive in older model, varying read speed on the disc). Blu-Ray capacity => could result into mass data duplication spanning several 6.8 GB 360 disc, disc swapping routines, considerations, etc, etc.

I you can, ask the perspective of your professor with regard to such points.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

BenVTrigger said:
ghaleon1980 said:

This is hilarious.  You guys are trying to justify Alan Wake and Mass Effect 2 not being on here?  

You laugh and yet I can prove I've played every game listed can you? And yes Alan Wake and Mass Effect 2 ARE superior looking to MGS4 and UC1.  Have you even played those 2 games in the past two years?  They've certainly been passed up and yes they were the best at their time, they currently aren't.  At all.

Why in the heck won't my PS3 sig update yet yours will?  I've played Dead Space, Little Big Planet 2, Uncharted 2, Back to the Future, Valkyria Chronicles, Batman Arkham Island, and Flower since the last time I played God of War and God of War Trilogy!!  None of those games have shown up in my sig!!  It's pissing me off!

d21lewis said:
BenVTrigger said:
ghaleon1980 said:

Why in the heck won't my PS3 sig update yet yours will?  I've played Dead Space, Little Big Planet 2, Uncharted 2, Back to the Future, Valkyria Chronicles, Batman Arkham Island, and Flower since the last time I played God of War and God of War Trilogy!!  None of those games have shown up in my sig!!  It's pissing me off!

Do you synch your trophies?