By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - So what exactly IS Microsofts first Party working on? Losing the Core gamer?

Just to clarify something that people seem to be over looking this is the compleat list of MGS first party titles (excluding XBLA) for the 360

Halo 3, Halo: ODST, Halo: Reach (Bungie)

Halo Wars (Ensemble)

Forza 2, Forza 3 (Turn 10)

Kinect Sports, Viva Pinata, Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise, Perfect Dark Zero, Kameo: Elements of Power, Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts (Rare)

Kinect Adventures (Good Science)

Kinect Joy Ride (BigPark)

Fable 2, Fable 3 (Lionhead)

Thats 15 titles over just over 5 years so on average 3 titles per year, and that is including 2010 which was Microsofts biggest ever year in terms of quantity with 5 titles. There is no big list of core games coming from first party but they also haven't been cuting back (other than Ensemble, though you could argue Rare, Bungie was replaced by 343) they have 3 studios working on core titles and 3 on Kinect only one of which was an existing studio Rare also has been their least "core" developer with most of their games being kid freindly anyway. 

So there are 3 core developers 343 is making Halo but they are new and Halo game have been on a 3 year cycle so 2012 will probably be when that is released (Halo remake according to rumors is made by a third party), Lionhead put out a game last year and are putting out a PC port this year and there have been 2 year gaps between games for them so again 2012 for their next big game at the soonest, Turn 10 are putting out a game this year.

I don't see where the mistery is we know what all their studios are working on and only one core game looks to be coming this year but we may well see 2 next year. We will most likely see 3 new first party Kinect games as well 2 of which are from new studios set up just to make kinect games.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Around the Network

Mark my words - nothing good will be announced at the GDC, we'll have to wait until E3 to see any decent announcements for the latter half of the year and the beginning of 2012.

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

M.U.G.E.N said:

-_- man your post is all over the place there, not even sure if we are on the same topic anymore

Sony is known for leaks yes, but that is not what this argument is about at all. This is about exclusive game announcements. but then again what privacy? these days we get to know about a lot of major announcements from ms too but that's a whole different topic

both sony and ms announce games early and release them a year or so later, fact.

most of those games announced are core titles, and when I mean core I do not mean party games and such. Even sony announce and release such games in the same year, this year won't be an exception to that. No major game released aimed at the traditional gamer last year were announced in the same year. So far it's the same situation this year too. Only issue here is, Sony announced way way more titles in comparison. Maybe that's why you have this sony announces their stuff way earlier notion of yours. Just maybe they announced way more core titles than for the 360?

what kinect title, that caters even slightly to the hardcore base, on the 360 were released so far this year? Heck what NEW kinect games were released so far this year even?

again, all the main games we know so far in the 360 line up this year, we knew at least a year in advance. You can run around that point all day if you want but that won't change it one bit....the argument that gets old is this nonsensical notion that somehow ms always announce their games late compared to sony which is not true by any means. Even sony will announce and release some move games this year, just like MS will do with Kinect. Either way the point stands, the statement you made earlier is not true.

You still havent even answered the question of when they were announced, and for this because of your no substance in your argument I am done with this thread

Have a good day

Bet with Conegamer and Doobie_wop 

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

AussieGecko said:
M.U.G.E.N said:

-_- man your post is all over the place there, not even sure if we are on the same topic anymore

Sony is known for leaks yes, but that is not what this argument is about at all. This is about exclusive game announcements. but then again what privacy? these days we get to know about a lot of major announcements from ms too but that's a whole different topic

both sony and ms announce games early and release them a year or so later, fact.

most of those games announced are core titles, and when I mean core I do not mean party games and such. Even sony announce and release such games in the same year, this year won't be an exception to that. No major game released aimed at the traditional gamer last year were announced in the same year. So far it's the same situation this year too. Only issue here is, Sony announced way way more titles in comparison. Maybe that's why you have this sony announces their stuff way earlier notion of yours. Just maybe they announced way more core titles than for the 360?

what kinect title, that caters even slightly to the hardcore base, on the 360 were released so far this year? Heck what NEW kinect games were released so far this year even?

again, all the main games we know so far in the 360 line up this year, we knew at least a year in advance. You can run around that point all day if you want but that won't change it one bit....the argument that gets old is this nonsensical notion that somehow ms always announce their games late compared to sony which is not true by any means. Even sony will announce and release some move games this year, just like MS will do with Kinect. Either way the point stands, the statement you made earlier is not true.

You still havent even answered the question of when they were announced, and for this because of your no substance in your argument I am done with this thread

Have a good day

what Q? About when Sony announced their core line up? It was done at 'mainly at' E3, GC and TGS (last year)

MS announced their line up at the same time (well mainly at E3, they didn't have much of a presense at GDC, GC or TGS last year)

again, they announce their games early too, that's my argument. You have nothing to say against it other than pulling the kinect games card when it should be obvious even the competition will follow suit on the matter

you have nothing to say other than run around the issue and it seems that's not gonna change. might be a case of not wanting to admit it to yourself, I can understand that

You have a good day too :)

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

M.U.G.E.N said:
AussieGecko said:
M.U.G.E.N said:

Have a good day

what Q? About when Sony announced their core line up? It was done at 'mainly at' E3, GC and TGS (last year)

MS announced their line up at the same time (well mainly at E3, they didn't have much of a presense at GDC, GC or TGS last year)

again, they announce their games early too, that's my argument. You have nothing to say against it other than pulling the kinect games card when it should be obvious even the competition will follow suit on the matter

you have nothing to say other than run around the issue and it seems that's not gonna change. might be a case of not wanting to admit it to yourself, I can understand that

You have a good day too :)

im confused by what question he is talking about too. he asked me to answer the same thing, i dont know what hes talking about.

both companies announce and release their games in mostly similar time frames, with few exceptions for both.

Around the Network
zarx said:

Just to clarify something that people seem to be over looking this is the compleat list of MGS first party titles (excluding XBLA) for the 360

Halo 3, Halo: ODST, Halo: Reach (Bungie)

Halo Wars (Ensemble)

Forza 2, Forza 3 (Turn 10)

Kinect Sports, Viva Pinata, Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise, Perfect Dark Zero, Kameo: Elements of Power, Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts (Rare)

Kinect Adventures (Good Science)

Kinect Joy Ride (BigPark)

Fable 2, Fable 3 (Lionhead)

Thats 15 titles over just over 5 years so on average 3 titles per year, and that is including 2010 which was Microsofts biggest ever year in terms of quantity with 5 titles. There is no big list of core games coming from first party but they also haven't been cuting back (other than Ensemble, though you could argue Rare, Bungie was replaced by 343) they have 3 studios working on core titles and 3 on Kinect only one of which was an existing studio Rare also has been their least "core" developer with most of their games being kid freindly anyway. 

So there are 3 core developers 343 is making Halo but they are new and Halo game have been on a 3 year cycle so 2012 will probably be when that is released (Halo remake according to rumors is made by a third party), Lionhead put out a game last year and are putting out a PC port this year and there have been 2 year gaps between games for them so again 2012 for their next big game at the soonest, Turn 10 are putting out a game this year.

I don't see where the mistery is we know what all their studios are working on and only one core game looks to be coming this year but we may well see 2 next year. We will most likely see 3 new first party Kinect games as well 2 of which are from new studios set up just to make kinect games.

Wow I guess I just never realised how weak MS first party is.  Outside of Fable, Halo, and Forza they really have nothing.  All 3 of those franchises are incredible so I guess it helps overshadow just how few games they put out but with 3rd parties going more and more to multiplatform this seems like a bad strategy for MS in my opinion.  Eh we'll see.

Oh and to people sitting there saying how their sick of threads like this and these arguments, get real.  I have 50,000 freaking gamerscore trust me I'm far far FAR from a 360 hater, regardless it has to be said that Sony is clearly at least at this point outpacing MS in exclusive games this year, and that MGS isn't really developing anything exciting that we know of outside of Forza, and POSSIBLY something for the core gamer with Kinect.  I really do hope we see the Halo CE remake this year as well, but for how long can MGS not make new IP's and just live off of 3 franchises?  What will they do next-gen?  Only work on Halo 5 and 6 and Fable 5 and Forza 5?  Eventually they need to develop new core IP's and at the moment it doesn't look like they are doing that at all.

AussieGecko said:

Have a good day

LMAO. Aussiegekko, anyway you slice it, the odds are against you. It has been proven time and time again, that MS does not often(very rarely actually) announce their games early before release. Regardless of how early ps3 games are announced(which is irrelevant) Microsoft does not announce their games right before release, and considering the size of their 1st party studios, if they are hiding something, its not like it is a boatload of games(most definately no more than 2). Your arguement lacks substance(and is irrelevant) because this thread is about MS not Sony, and it seems you continually ignore the fact that MS does not release games shortly after announcements. If you want me to start a list to prove my point, all you have to do is ask.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

MS has never had a great 1st party support compared to the other guys, i dont know why people are so stunned and confused about it. Its been like that for years. Its jus that they use, timed exclusives and what ever they can get away with with 3rd partys to cover it up. Hell i think now that Kinect is a success that we'll probably see more 1st party support than ever b4, but i think it will be like the Wii where it just wont be the support that some gamers want. Looking at it from a pure profit point, it makes much more sense to make these cheaper, family oriented games for Kinect than go balls out with multi million dollar efforts that are going to just sell a certain amount anyway

I think people are underestimating Microsofts first party development resources.

Lionhead: Has two teams, it is quite probable that one team just finished Fable 3 and ported it to PC whilst starting a new game and the second team (prediction) was working on Black and White 3 which became a Kinect game.

Rare: Has three teams. They ought to be as productive as Insomniac if not more so in terms of games released. We just haven't seen the results from their recent expansion yet.

Turn 10: Has two teams, hence we're seeing Forza 4 this year, but what is the other team doing? They said they wanted to work on something entirely different to racing games.

343 Studios is definately working on Halo, but are they also working on something else as well? They are picked to be the next flagship shooter developer and their resources shouldn't be underestimated.

Firebird Studios: WTF are they doing.

Alongside their various 2nd party releases.

Finally don't forget that Microsoft EDD just released WP7. As an ecosystem its probably diverted more of their attention in the short term than Sony diverted for the NPG if you want a comparison. Given the likely success of WP7 now that Nokia is on board they now have a bigger handheld empire than Sony does and they may rival Nintendo one day. They also published dozens?hundreds? of games for that platform so they were hardly in a position to go sniiff out games for the Xbox 360 from various major and up and coming developers.

Tease.

scat398 said:

MS has made their strategy pretty clear and so far it seems to be the correct one.  Use of third and second party development companies has been their main focus.  MS has correctly recognizedthat the gaming market is over saturated and pushing out too many titles only leads to less sales and more financial losses.  It always great for us to come on here and say how one console has more games than the other but there are only so many dollars to go around.  Their will be Gears 3, Halo remake, Skyrim, Dragon Age II, COD ?, Crysis 2, Kingdoms.  That right there is more games than most people can purchase in 2 years let alone one.  More and more development companies are losing money with highger costs and market saturation so instead of pumping out a bunch of titles that may not even reach 1million in sales, MS has it right and will make sure that they have strong number of big name titles each pushing well over 5 million.  The developers win and MS wins.

but do you win though? thats the question. i would prefer to have a shed load of exclusive software across diff genres including new ip`s than have nothing at all.

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...