By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - So what exactly IS Microsofts first Party working on? Losing the Core gamer?

Squilliam said:

I think people are underestimating Microsofts first party development resources.

Lionhead: Has two teams, it is quite probable that one team just finished Fable 3 and ported it to PC whilst starting a new game and the second team (prediction) was working on Black and White 3 which became a Kinect game.

Rare: Has three teams. They ought to be as productive as Insomniac if not more so in terms of games released. We just haven't seen the results from their recent expansion yet.

Turn 10: Has two teams, hence we're seeing Forza 4 this year, but what is the other team doing? They said they wanted to work on something entirely different to racing games.

343 Studios is definately working on Halo, but are they also working on something else as well? They are picked to be the next flagship shooter developer and their resources shouldn't be underestimated.

Firebird Studios: WTF are they doing.

Alongside their various 2nd party releases.

Finally don't forget that Microsoft EDD just released WP7. As an ecosystem its probably diverted more of their attention in the short term than Sony diverted for the NPG if you want a comparison. Given the likely success of WP7 now that Nokia is on board they now have a bigger handheld empire than Sony does and they may rival Nintendo one day. They also published dozens?hundreds? of games for that platform so they were hardly in a position to go sniiff out games for the Xbox 360 from various major and up and coming developers.

Good post and very good points.

Basically E3 will reveal what exactly MS has planned out and whether or not they really are going to develop some good core IP's.  Either way it doesn't change the fact that the first half of the year the first party litteraly released NOTHING for the 360.  That's not a good sign either way IMO, but I do have faith they've got something good in the pipelines.

Around the Network
BenVTrigger said:

Basically E3 will reveal what exactly MS has planned out and whether or not they really are going to develop some good core IP's.  Either way it doesn't change the fact that the first half of the year the first party litteraly released NOTHING for the 360.  That's not a good sign either way IMO, but I do have faith they've got something good in the pipelines.

Traditionally Microsoft has stacked Q4 and especially Sept, Oct and Nov with with big title respectively. It isn't like this is any different to 2009 or 2008 or 2007 where they again packed their big releases into the end of the year. Their bucking their own trend would be if they were to release major titles towards the start of the year.

Tease.

Squilliam said:
BenVTrigger said:

Traditionally Microsoft has stacked Q4 and especially Sept, Oct and Nov with with big title respectively. It isn't like this is any different to 2009 or 2008 or 2007 where they again packed their big releases into the end of the year. Their bucking their own trend would be if they were to release major titles towards the start of the year.

Hmm I don't agree, last year we had Mass Effect 2, Alan Wake and Splinter Cell: Conviction in the first half, with Crackdown 2 shortly after. To go from that to nothing ...

Seece said:
Squilliam said:
BenVTrigger said:

Hmm I don't agree, last year we had Mass Effect 2, Alan Wake and Splinter Cell: Conviction in the first half, with Crackdown 2 shortly after. To go from that to nothing ...

Mass Effect was EA's choice, Alan Wake was done when it was done, Splinter Cell - See EA/Mass Effect 2 and Crackdown 2 was positioned outside of the normal release window. None of these games were first party either.

Tease.

I think also most of the games that were exclusive to X360/PC were released last year, to expect the same amount of games after a considerable amount have been released a year before is just ridiculous, not everything is COD with a yearly release. They've played most of the deck last year, hence we got spoiled, but we can't expect similar amounts of exclusives when there just isn't that many left and most require more than a year product cycle, so I think 2012/2013 has a potential to be the better year than this. I think this year is alot like 2009, except we got a load of Kinect shovelware with maybe a few golden duds to look forward to.

..Yay!

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

Around the Network
BenVTrigger said:

[...]

So besides Rare pumping out Kinect titles what is the 1st party of MS doing?

Announcing announcements, didn't you read that fine thread about it?    http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=125093&page=1 

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

i'll take the small fries, it's better than mario takes manhatten.

trasharmdsister12 said:

Rumour has it that MS donated a fair sum of money to Geohot's legal battle with Sony. There isn't an official source but I've been reading about it all around the internet. Not sure how much weight or truth it holds but if it's true, it would explain where MS first party funding went .

http://www.google.com/search?client=opera&rls=en&q=geohot MS donation&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&channel=suggest

only fool turst this

Squilliam said:

I think people are underestimating Microsofts first party development resources.

Lionhead: Has two teams, it is quite probable that one team just finished Fable 3 and ported it to PC whilst starting a new game and the second team (prediction) was working on Black and White 3 which became a Kinect game.

Rare: Has three teams. They ought to be as productive as Insomniac if not more so in terms of games released. We just haven't seen the results from their recent expansion yet.

Turn 10: Has two teams, hence we're seeing Forza 4 this year, but what is the other team doing? They said they wanted to work on something entirely different to racing games.

343 Studios is definately working on Halo, but are they also working on something else as well? They are picked to be the next flagship shooter developer and their resources shouldn't be underestimated.

Firebird Studios: WTF are they doing.

Alongside their various 2nd party releases.

Finally don't forget that Microsoft EDD just released WP7. As an ecosystem its probably diverted more of their attention in the short term than Sony diverted for the NPG if you want a comparison. Given the likely success of WP7 now that Nokia is on board they now have a bigger handheld empire than Sony does and they may rival Nintendo one day. They also published dozens?hundreds? of games for that platform so they were hardly in a position to go sniiff out games for the Xbox 360 from various major and up and coming developers.

Lionhead: the seccond team have been working on what ever Milo & Kate is/was

Rare: One team works on Avatar related stuff one is making kinect games and the other seems to make XBLA titles

Turn 10: No idea about the seccond team, could be DLC or multiplayer for all we know

343 Studios is definately working on Halo yes and they are also probably working with third parties on things like the combat evolved remake

Firebird Studios: WTF are they doing? who knows probably working on Microsoft Flight as I can't seem to find which studio is actually working on it the only info I have seen just said MGS so it's ether them or turn 10

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

There thinking of a machine that will take over the world hahaha jk. I dont know maybe there working on something for a late 2011 or 2012  release.... I hope cause looks like my xbox wont be getting the play time it needs til gears 3....