By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Michael-5 said:
Yakuzaice said:
Michael-5 said:

Yea, but MW2 also sold a lot better after the holiday season, GT5 is selling 50k worldwide, where GT4 sold 90k at the same time. Also in Americas, there are almost 2:1 360's to PS3's, so a high ratio should be expected. In EMEAA PS3 to 360 ratio is almost equal, so numbers could be off there too.

Shipped values are relavents, but the 6.4 million units PD shipped, were shipped at the end of December, and no new large scale shipments have been made 2 months later. It's still 6.4 million on PD. This is why shipped values are bad to go off of, how long until PD ships more units? Do I take 6.4 million units as the number of units being sold as od December 2010, or February 2011, or May 2011? That makes a big difference when looking at how well the game is doing.

Except look at the yearly ratios for MW2 so far.

2009  1.94:1
2010  1.40:1
2011  3.25:1

And for Black Ops

2010  1.69:1
2011  1.71:1

One of these things is not like the other.

As for GT5, how do you know there hasn't been a single shipment in the last two months?  You know they update the list quarterly right?  Are you seriously suggesting there might not be a single shipment between December and May?  Were you saying the same thing when they announced the 5.5 million shipment?

Wait what? For a second I thought that ratio was the total ratio of MW2 for 360 vs. PS3 in Americas.

The answer for the jump is simple. PS3 MW2 has a lot more hacking. I don't own MW2, but I played it on my friends 360 np, but on my other friends PS3, someone jumped through a wall and killed me, and another time a guy fell from the sky and killed me...

I noticed that as soon as I started hearing about this hacking issue, and significant hacking on MW2 for PS3, MW2 PS3 sales crashed. Infinity Ward even adressed the issue, but only for PS3 (which tells us the hacking is limited to PS3)

Maybe the hacking isn't that bad, but the timing is perfect. I think MW2 sales on PS3 dropped due to hacking. I have no proof, but I don't think this is a coincidence.

For GT5 I was only implying that December shipment was meant to last. I did not know PD made quarterly shipments (or maybe they just announce shipped units quarterly, that makes more sence). If PD shipped 9 million units total, that doesn't mean the game will sell 9 million units anytime soon, if ever.

Also GT5 sold 5.5 million or so, so doesn't it make sence they shipped that much? Took longer then most expected, but it still did it. They shipped 8 million Kinects for January 2011, and only at the end of January did sales surpass 8 million.

What are you trying to say? Shipped values are nothing good to go by, not all games sell what they ship. Kinect sold shipped units within a month, GT5 took 3 months. My only point was that on a weekly basis GT5 is selling about half as well as GT4, and because it's selling a lot worse, it's less likely to reach the same sales level.

At this rate, if GT5 holds sales at 55% of GT4's sales (which it didn't even do last week), the game will only sell 8.5-9 million lifetime. Hey wow, right in my prediction range, educated guesses based on math work.

It's such a pain to explain you things because you won't change your mind, GT5 is undertracked, and even if it's undertracked, just check this.

Weeks GT4 GT5 Difference Temp GT4 TEMP GT5 Cumulative
12 77 354 43 770 -33 584 5 384 027 5 434 647 165 160
13 67 939 48 931 -19 008 5 451 966 5 483 578 146 152
Total 10W: 5 451 966 5 598 118 146 152      

Even if it's undertracked, it still sells quite well, and not 90kvs50k. :) Shipped and sold in the long run are the same, dunno when you'll finally understand that. Also please, don't compare KA and GT5 anymore, it's kind of a disrespect and whatever you want. Without mentioning that you compare something bundled with a hardware to a mere game, where units sitting on shelves are on different levels. If they had to ship another 800k in a bit more than 5weeks it means a lot of things, but only for people who're open minded.

But time will tell you that you should have closed your mouth about this game.  And you know where you can put your educated guess based on math... because I didn't know that 49k was 55% of 68k...  It's undertracked, quote me on that. But as I said, time will tell you how wrong you are. I'm stoping here.

Around the Network
Michael-5 said:
Okay 10% error range. That still means GT5 is selling 45-55k weekly, much much less then GT4's 90k weekly. Total range could be 10% off in the other direction, so it could have sold less then 5 million total.

Stop trying to show wrong data to people.

VGC show GT4 Week 13 selling 67,939 not 90k... and after that 60,955... after 55,236... while GT5 begin to hold over 40k.

ethomaz said:
Michael-5 said:
Okay 10% error range. That still means GT5 is selling 45-55k weekly, much much less then GT4's 90k weekly. Total range could be 10% off in the other direction, so it could have sold less then 5 million total.

VGC show GT4 Week 13 selling 67,939 not 90k... and after that 60,955... after 55,236... while GT5 begin to hold over 40k.

And that dude makes investments... haha

4k1x3r said:
Michael-5 said:

Wait what? For a second I thought that ratio was the total ratio of MW2 for 360 vs. PS3 in Americas.

The answer for the jump is simple. PS3 MW2 has a lot more hacking. I don't own MW2, but I played it on my friends 360 np, but on my other friends PS3, someone jumped through a wall and killed me, and another time a guy fell from the sky and killed me...

I noticed that as soon as I started hearing about this hacking issue, and significant hacking on MW2 for PS3, MW2 PS3 sales crashed. Infinity Ward even adressed the issue, but only for PS3 (which tells us the hacking is limited to PS3)

Maybe the hacking isn't that bad, but the timing is perfect. I think MW2 sales on PS3 dropped due to hacking. I have no proof, but I don't think this is a coincidence.

For GT5 I was only implying that December shipment was meant to last. I did not know PD made quarterly shipments (or maybe they just announce shipped units quarterly, that makes more sence). If PD shipped 9 million units total, that doesn't mean the game will sell 9 million units anytime soon, if ever.

Also GT5 sold 5.5 million or so, so doesn't it make sence they shipped that much? Took longer then most expected, but it still did it. They shipped 8 million Kinects for January 2011, and only at the end of January did sales surpass 8 million.

What are you trying to say? Shipped values are nothing good to go by, not all games sell what they ship. Kinect sold shipped units within a month, GT5 took 3 months. My only point was that on a weekly basis GT5 is selling about half as well as GT4, and because it's selling a lot worse, it's less likely to reach the same sales level.

At this rate, if GT5 holds sales at 55% of GT4's sales (which it didn't even do last week), the game will only sell 8.5-9 million lifetime. Hey wow, right in my prediction range, educated guesses based on math work.

It's such a pain to explain you things because you won't change your mind, GT5 is undertracked, and even if it's undertracked, just check this.

Weeks GT4 GT5 Difference Temp GT4 TEMP GT5 Cumulative
12 77 354 43 770 -33 584 5 384 027 5 434 647 165 160
13 67 939 48 931 -19 008 5 451 966 5 483 578 146 152
Total 10W: 5 451 966 5 598 118 146 152      

Even if it's undertracked, it still sells quite well, and not 90kvs50k. :) Shipped and sold in the long run are the same, dunno when you'll finally understand that. Also please, don't compare KA and GT5 anymore, it's kind of a disrespect and whatever you want. Without mentioning that you compare something bundled with a hardware to a mere game, where units sitting on shelves are on different levels. If they had to ship another 800k in a bit more than 5weeks it means a lot of things, but only for people who're open minded.

But time will tell you that you should have closed your mouth about this game.  And you know where you can put your educated guess based on math... because I didn't know that 49k was 55% of 68k...  It's undertracked, quote me on that. But as I said, time will tell you how wrong you are. I'm stoping here.

Week 12 GT4 sold 12,871 US, 57,129 EMEAA, and 7,351 Japan totaling 77,351k , Week 13 it sold 10,655 US, 51,421 EMEAA, 5,863 Japan totaling 67,939 units. So your numbers are correct. When I referenced 90k, I was looking at worldwide sales from the US release which isn't as accurate because the game released in EMEAA 2 weeks later. Still 80k vs. 45k last week (about the same as 90k vs. 50k), and 70k vs. 50k this week. GT4 is still outselling GT5 by 76.7% and 38.8%, or about 5%% better if you average, That means GT5 is selling a little under 2/3rds as well as GT5, and I bet you GT5 will drop faster then GT4. Remember the first 10 weeks, GT5 scaled above GT4? Now all of a sudden when the season is over it's dropping?

Remember those GT4 numbers are sales in March (Japan), April (US), and May (EMEAA). Thats a much slower times saleswise for games then January, and February which still see a post holiday boost. Do you not understand that during the holidays ALL games sell better then normal?

When will you not understand that GT5 is selling less then GT4, in a better sales period, and dropping faster? It won't have as stong legs. Maybe you should change your opinion because the facts support my claim.

The fact that despite having a holiday launch, GT5 sales only kept on par with GT4's sales. Now the game is selling 2/3rds as well on a weekly basis and judging from the sharp decline in sales just after the holidays it i unlikely that this differene will change in favor of GT5. So if GT5 holds say 66.6% of GT4's weekly sales (it's actually holding a lower percentage, but I'll be optimistic for you), GT5 will only sell, at the very most 3.8 million units. 3.8 5.6 = 9.4 million, which happens to be exactly my predicted value. It won't break 10 million, and if you would just look at the situation analytically instead of hypothetically, you would see that.

Still 9.4 million, NOT FAR from 10 million. Still damn good considering the difference in user base, and the fact that the next best selling exclusive is only at 5.1 million. Why your making a big deal out of this? I dunno! GT5 isn't going to sell as well as a lot of loyal fans want it too, but neither will Halo Reach. Why does it matter that GT5 won't sell as well as the more extreme fans want it to?

Do you have any evidence for GT5 being undertracked? You keep claiming this, but at least I can site VGC for my sales data. You keep telling me I don't understand GT5 being undertracked and you have to explain this concept to me, but thre is no evidence of GT5 specifically being undertracked.

Also what are you talking about comparing KA being "a kind of disrespect." It was a game/peripheral which I know how much it shipped, and how fast it took to meet shipments. Shipped units and sold units are not in the long term the same. 6.4 million units shipped in 4 months, means nothing. If the game isn't selling the next shipment may be small. Shipped units only give you a loose prediction on future sales, they are not as concrete as sold values

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

ethomaz said:
Michael-5 said:

77,354 vs 43,770. Last weeks data was posted after this thread was up. The difference is still 1.77 : 1 in favor of GT4 (instead of 1.8 : 1). 10% error, and AT BEST, you get 77k vs 48k. The ratio would still be 1.6 : 1. I'm being optimistic and claiming GT5 hold sales at 66% of GT4 (A ratio of 1.5 : 1).

Note I didn't include 10% error in GT4 data because that game is 5 years old, and I have never seen major adjustments on VGC going back longer then 2 years. That number is reasonably accurate.

This is not false data, stop trying to find an error in my estimate, and then focusing on it.

The fact of the matter is GT5 is only selling about 2/3rd as well as GT5. At this rate, it won't break 10 million.

GT5 won't hold 40k, it's only been 13 weeks. Give it 20, it will drop just like GT4 did, along with all racing games VGC has recorded (except for Mario Kart for other reasons).

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database

Around the Network
4k1x3r said:
ethomaz said:
Michael-5 said:

And that dude makes investments... haha

It's creepy that you stock my posts in other threads, completly unrelated to this subject. Please don't stock me anymore..

CGI-Quality said:
Michael-5 said:

All signs point to GT5 not being as successful as biased loyal Sony fans like to believe. I acknowdge that Halo Reach won't sell as well as Halo 3, why can't Sony fans do the same for GT5?

What are the signs exactly? That GT5 is selling at a lower rate than GT4 (even though launch periods aren't being accounted for - GT5 is obviously more frontloaded and STILL sells 40k plus weekly). GT5 doesn't have to outsell GT4, but it should be able to pass 10 million. No it's not a fact, it's a prediction, you predict otherwise, but neither side is in the wrong for doing so. 

Well you probably analyse GT5 more then me because anytime I say anything Negative about this game in particular you seem to be on me. However, didn't you notice that before the holidays ended, GT5 was selling about the same, if not a little better then GT4. Then after the holidays the ratio dropped significantly? Why aren't GT5 weekly sales remotly close to GT4's anymore now that the holidays are over? Holidays ended 5 weeks after GT5 launched, sales then halved the next two weeks, and then lowered much quicker then GT4. Week 7/8 were the last weeks GT5 sales were reasonably close to GT4's and ver since then the ratio has been dropping?

They are still stong, a lot of haters predicte 6 million, and I'm sure a lot of your comments entitled "GT5' success is making haters eat crow" are aimed towards them. However you know I predict a far more reasonable 8.5-9.4 million, and you know I base my opinion on VGC sales data directly. You may disagree with me, but your 100% right in stating that neither of us are wrong at this time.

I'm only presenting my side of the arguement, and I do predict strong sales for GT5. Why does this game have to cross 10 million? Most signs point to this game not breaking 10 million, but 9 million is still good. Why is 10 million some magical number loyal PS3 followers want GT5 to cross?

I say these comments about Halo Reach about as often as well, why don't people call me on those, why is GT5 so much touchier of a subject?

Judging from the hate, including some reviews suspiciously and quite unjustifiably harsh, some big company would like KZ3 and GT5 to fail, but it looks like its hateful wish will be the one to fail.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

CGI-Quality said:
Michael-5 said:

Well you probably analyse GT5 more then me because anytime I say anything Negative about this game in particular you seem to be on me. However, didn't you notice that before the holidays ended, GT5 was selling about the same, if not a little better then GT4. Then after the holidays the ratio dropped significantly? Why aren't GT5 weekly sales remotly close to GT4's anymore now that the holidays are over? Holidays ended 5 weeks after GT5 launched, sales then halved the next two weeks, and then lowered much quicker then GT4. Week 7/8 were the last weeks GT5 sales were reasonably close to GT4's and ver since then the ratio has been dropping?

They are still stong, a lot of haters predicte 6 million, and I'm sure a lot of your comments entitled "GT5' success is making haters eat crow" are aimed towards them. However you know I predict a far more reasonable 8.5-9.4 million, and you know I base my opinion on VGC sales data directly. You may disagree with me, but your 100% right in stating that neither of us are wrong at this time.

I'm only presenting my side of the arguement, and I do predict strong sales for GT5. Why does this game have to cross 10 million? Most signs point to this game not breaking 10 million, but 9 million is still good. Why is 10 million some magical number loyal PS3 followers want GT5 to cross?

I say these comments about Halo Reach about as often as well, why don't people call me on those, why is GT5 so much touchier of a subject?

Paragraph A: You answered your own question. GT5 launched during a holiday period, of course it's sales aren't going to remain as high as GT4 did without a holiday (EU/US - GT4 released in Dec 2004 in Japan). But one last time, GT4 is irrelevant because I never claimed that GT5 would pass it.

Paragraph B: Your prediction just recently changed to a "reasonable" 8.5-9.4 million. The minute the numbers were higher than you thought during the holidays (which you said), the prediction changed. That fit comfortably with my main point to you, that you could end up wrong for lifetime numbers as well.

Paragraph C: Nobody said it has to cross 10 million, but you keep saying "all signs point to it not crossing 10 million", but never have anything other than mere speculation and claims that it has to somehow "perform like GT4" to do so. I've presented the flip side, because I don't believe there are any "signs" to prove that it can't.

Final sentence:  I admit, I don't chase down your post history at every opportunity, but then again that's not relevant anyway.

A: I know you never claimed GT5 will surpass GT4 sales, but in order for GT5 to surpass 10 million, it must hold sales relativly close to GT4's. That why I keep referencing it.

B: My prediction changed when numbers came in? I originally predicted 8.5 million about 6 months before launch. A few weeks before launch I said 9.4 million, and you quoted me on that in that prediction thread. Since launch I've been giving a range of 8.5-9.4 million, and I do that because it didn't start off as strong as I thought it would have.

C: GT5 could pass 10 million sales, if I sound offensive in any way it's because every time I say it probably won't I get 8 people, largely Sony fans, jumping on me, telling me VGC has this one game in particular undershipped. If the game is undershipped I don't think the numbers would be that different. Also in no way do I want to change your opinion, I just want people to accept mine, instead of throw it out the window because "I just don't understand how games sell."

D: It's irrelevent, but I do get A LOT more hostility towards GT5.

In the end, I'm prediction about 9.4 million, but I think it may undershoot that by a little. You predicted almost 10 million exactly. Does that 1 million difference matter? I hope as critical as I am about GT5, you understand I have to be because if I wasn't people would just tell me "I'm wrong, the majority of people here think your wrong."

Anyway, your right about something though, those people who predicted 6 million lifetime are eating crow. At the same time, those people predicting 15 million are also eating crow.

GT5 6.3m and counting and the hate gets even worst LOL!

just imagine after the next update when its about 7m or more.