Skeeuk said:
ethomaz said:

And Gran Turismo 5...

Last week: 23,542

This week: 31,071

UP 31%

HO HO HO HO HO 

Now waiting GT5 adjustments in EMEAA.

it should be adjusted soon enough, to think the game is still full price in retailers so it must be trickling along for them to not drop the price

I've seen the price dropped. It was $39.99 last week at Fry's Electronics. It's still not going to catch GT3 and GT4 in sales. The only play it still selling is in EMEA and it's only selling about 25-30K a week and that will drop significantly as summer approaches. Unless Sony decides to bundle it again (don't know why they would do that with KZ3, Infamous 2 and Uncharted 3 out for the holidays), I don't think it'll break 9 million overall.

It may break 9 million, but not anytime soon. At this rate though, without bundling, 9 million seems to be a maximum. Still amazing, double Forza 3.

U wanna bet? It may break 9 million early 2012 and 10 million late 2012.

Actually sure, I'll bet. Avatar/Signature Control for 2 weeks?

Lets bet if GT5 will break 9 million units sold by the week ending March 3rd 2012. So the week ending March 3rd 2012, if GT5 is at 8,999,999 sales or less I win, and if it's 9,000,000 or over, you win.

Also were using initial VGC data. If they change the number from 8.99 to 9.00 million a week later or vice versa, the original data will be taken.

Sound good? Also Avatars/Signatures should be clean.

Quote me on this please.

The only point now is VGC had GT5 undetracked now in EMEAA... why will it not be at March 2012?

My  bet was:

March 2012: over 9 million by PD
December 2012: over 10 million by PD

But I can bet with you with VGC numbers:

March 2012: over 8.5 million by VGC
December 2012: over 9.5 million by VGC

Polyphony Digital only lists units sold to retailers (aka shipped). I don't think judging how well a game is selling based of shipped figures makes any sense. Also because EMEAA is such a broad region, I feel this game is being overshipped to all retailers in case one country has the game selling particularly well.

I say, lets bet using VGC numbers (8.5 million by March 3rd, 2012, 9.5 million by the last week of December 2012). 2 weeks of Avatar/Sig control for each of the bets?

Deal? I won't forget this bet.

What? You really belive that?

I make a mistake in two last lines... the real one:

March 2012: over 8.5 million by VGC
December 2012: over 9.5 million by VGC

So I wanna bet.. just the date is March 31th and we will wait some weeks to se if VGC make any adjustments based in shippment figures.

I bet with real end of March numbers... not undertracked by VGC like now.

Okay sure, doesn't make a difference. The bet is for 2 weeks of Avatar control/Signature control.

So we use data including the week ending March 31st (lucky coincidence). For the second bet, were using data including the last week of 2012 (So first week which ends in January).

Just to clarify, what do you mean real end of March numbers? I want to make the bet using VGC sold numbers, whatever number is shown before adjustments for March 31st.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:

Michael-5 said:

Shipped values are irrelevent, you should know that, whatever isn't sold is shipped back. Also GT4 only sold 10.61 million units, and shipped 10.85 million, so for GT5 to break 10 million sales, it would need to sell about 85% as well to break 10 million. It's stabilizing at 66% or so.

Also, you asked me to name game game which shipped 6.4 million in a month, but sold less then 10 million lifetime. Modern Warfare 2 for PS3. Also note, they both were released in the peak holiday sales period.

I only commented about Forza sales being impressive too, you first mentioned 10 million. I made no comparision in my initial post. Just noticed a comment about GT5, and I thought mentioning how Forza 3 is doing would be good.

Anyway I agree lets not go down this road.

You should really pay attention to Polyphony's site, GT4 shipped more than 10.85 million. Regardless, GT4 is irrelevant, not GT5's shipped figures. Nothing really left to debate though, you're not changing anyone's ,mind, as nobody is changing yours. Just let it go at this point. But looking at what GT5 is currently doing, it's already closing off much of the doubt it initially had.

And btw, MW2 on PS3 WILL cross 10 million in it's life, but you need to show me it's shipped figures before calling that.

For a long time, the figure was 10.85 million, I didn't think PD would ship GT4 again 5 years after the game launched, and even then it's only a 35k shipment.

I'm not trying to change anyones mind, but why do you keep saying GT5 is "closing off much of the doubt it initially had?" It barely matched GT4 sales for the first 10 weeks, despite getting a large holiday boost and now it's selling about half as well for a corresponding week. It's not going to break 10 million at this rate. The way I see it, my prediction of 8.5-9.4 million is looking more and more right.

I don't think MW2 will cross 10 million, not with all the hacking troubling the PS3 version of the game. I dunno shipped values, but the game sold over 3 million week 1, and 6.4 million in it's first 10 weeks. So it's likely that it shipped over 6.4 million in that same timeframe. Probably closer to 7 million, which is more then GT5. Even if it crosses 10 million, it will just barely make it, and this is a bigger game then GT5.

Also GT5 still only shipped 6.4 million units as of right now too you know, those December shipments were intended to last a bit.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database

CGI-Quality said:
Michael-5 said:
CGI-Quality said:

Michael-5 said:

Shipped values are irrelevent, you should know that, whatever isn't sold is shipped back. Also GT4 only sold 10.61 million units, and shipped 10.85 million, so for GT5 to break 10 million sales, it would need to sell about 85% as well to break 10 million. It's stabilizing at 66% or so.

Also, you asked me to name game game which shipped 6.4 million in a month, but sold less then 10 million lifetime. Modern Warfare 2 for PS3. Also note, they both were released in the peak holiday sales period.

I only commented about Forza sales being impressive too, you first mentioned 10 million. I made no comparision in my initial post. Just noticed a comment about GT5, and I thought mentioning how Forza 3 is doing would be good.

Anyway I agree lets not go down this road.

You should really pay attention to Polyphony's site, GT4 shipped more than 10.85 million. Regardless, GT4 is irrelevant, not GT5's shipped figures. Nothing really left to debate though, you're not changing anyone's ,mind, as nobody is changing yours. Just let it go at this point. But looking at what GT5 is currently doing, it's already closing off much of the doubt it initially had.

And btw, MW2 on PS3 WILL cross 10 million in it's life, but you need to show me it's shipped figures before calling that.

Even if it crosses 10 million, it will just barely make it, and this is a bigger game then GT5.

Also GT5 still only shipped 6.4 million units as of right now too you know, those December shipments were intended to last a bit.

There's nothing at all to indicate that MW2 is a bigger game than GT5, because neither has finished selling, and the odds are in GT5's favor given there will probably not be another GT for quite sometime.

Just drop the debate for nowt. Come back when some time has passed.

Just do me a favor and say "In my opinion ___________." Only reason you hear from me a lot is because you present your opinion as facts. We have no clue when a PS4 will be released, so GT5's sales may be cut substantially if the PS4 platform replaces the PS3. Sure it won't happen in 2011, probably not in 2012 either, but at this rate, compared to GT4, there is no evidence that GT5's sales will reach 10 million before 2013.

So lets drop this then.

CGI-Quality said:
Michael-5 said:

Just do me a favor and say "In my opinion ___________." Only reason you hear from me a lot is because you present your opinion as facts. We have no clue when a PS4 will be released, so GT5's sales may be cut substantially if the PS4 platform replaces the PS3. Sure it won't happen in 2011, probably not in 2012 either, but at this rate, compared to GT4, there is no evidence that GT5's sales will reach 10 million before 2013.

So lets drop this then.

There's no indication that MW2 is bigger than GT5, which there isn't. Also, I said the odds are in GT5's favor based on the nature of the industry, because the longer a game goes without a successor, the higher it's chances are to sell to it's to higher amounts. Modern Warfare 2 doesn't have that advantage.

Regardles, you say you only quoted me because I present my opinion as fact (which is false), but you quoted my first post which WASN'T an opinion. Again, just let it be. If you continue, it's only going to prove that you can't be without the last word. 

This is your opinion please stop stating it as a fact. If the logic of no successor coming was true, then Assassin's Creed 2 would have sold significantly less.

Nvm, you always want to end any debate with a degrading comment... Go ahead.

Michael-5 said:

Yea, but MW2 also sold a lot better after the holiday season, GT5 is selling 50k worldwide, where GT4 sold 90k at the same time. Also in Americas, there are almost 2:1 360's to PS3's, so a high ratio should be expected. In EMEAA PS3 to 360 ratio is almost equal, so numbers could be off there too.

Shipped values are relavents, but the 6.4 million units PD shipped, were shipped at the end of December, and no new large scale shipments have been made 2 months later. It's still 6.4 million on PD. This is why shipped values are bad to go off of, how long until PD ships more units? Do I take 6.4 million units as the number of units being sold as od December 2010, or February 2011, or May 2011? That makes a big difference when looking at how well the game is doing.

Except look at the yearly ratios for MW2 so far.

2009  1.94:1
2010  1.40:1
2011  3.25:1

And for Black Ops

2010  1.69:1
2011  1.71:1

One of these things is not like the other.

As for GT5, how do you know there hasn't been a single shipment in the last two months?  You know they update the list quarterly right?  Are you seriously suggesting there might not be a single shipment between December and May?  Were you saying the same thing when they announced the 5.5 million shipment?

Around the Network
Beuli2 said:

That every other game got a boost? KA! (or Kinect for the matter) didn't magically got popular there, every game has gone up this week (and consoles as well). Someone on another thread said there were temporary pricecuts or something.

So again I will ask you why is this week worse than last week for kinect?

Bet with Conegamer and Doobie_wop 

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

Yakuzaice said:
Michael-5 said:

Yea, but MW2 also sold a lot better after the holiday season, GT5 is selling 50k worldwide, where GT4 sold 90k at the same time. Also in Americas, there are almost 2:1 360's to PS3's, so a high ratio should be expected. In EMEAA PS3 to 360 ratio is almost equal, so numbers could be off there too.

Shipped values are relavents, but the 6.4 million units PD shipped, were shipped at the end of December, and no new large scale shipments have been made 2 months later. It's still 6.4 million on PD. This is why shipped values are bad to go off of, how long until PD ships more units? Do I take 6.4 million units as the number of units being sold as od December 2010, or February 2011, or May 2011? That makes a big difference when looking at how well the game is doing.

And for Black Ops

As for GT5, how do you know there hasn't been a single shipment in the last two months?  You know they update the list quarterly right?  Are you seriously suggesting there might not be a single shipment between December and May?  Were you saying the same thing when they announced the 5.5 million shipment?

Wait what? For a second I thought that ratio was the total ratio of MW2 for 360 vs. PS3 in Americas.

The answer for the jump is simple. PS3 MW2 has a lot more hacking. I don't own MW2, but I played it on my friends 360 np, but on my other friends PS3, someone jumped through a wall and killed me, and another time a guy fell from the sky and killed me...

I noticed that as soon as I started hearing about this hacking issue, and significant hacking on MW2 for PS3, MW2 PS3 sales crashed. Infinity Ward even adressed the issue, but only for PS3 (which tells us the hacking is limited to PS3)

Maybe the hacking isn't that bad, but the timing is perfect. I think MW2 sales on PS3 dropped due to hacking. I have no proof, but I don't think this is a coincidence.

For GT5 I was only implying that December shipment was meant to last. I did not know PD made quarterly shipments (or maybe they just announce shipped units quarterly, that makes more sence). If PD shipped 9 million units total, that doesn't mean the game will sell 9 million units anytime soon, if ever.

Also GT5 sold 5.5 million or so, so doesn't it make sence they shipped that much? Took longer then most expected, but it still did it. They shipped 8 million Kinects for January 2011, and only at the end of January did sales surpass 8 million.

What are you trying to say? Shipped values are nothing good to go by, not all games sell what they ship. Kinect sold shipped units within a month, GT5 took 3 months. My only point was that on a weekly basis GT5 is selling about half as well as GT4, and because it's selling a lot worse, it's less likely to reach the same sales level.

At this rate, if GT5 holds sales at 55% of GT4's sales (which it didn't even do last week), the game will only sell 8.5-9 million lifetime. Hey wow, right in my prediction range, educated guesses based on math work.

Michael-5 said:

Wait what? For a second I thought that ratio was the total ratio of MW2 for 360 vs. PS3 in Americas.

The answer for the jump is simple. PS3 MW2 has a lot more hacking. I don't own MW2, but I played it on my friends 360 np, but on my other friends PS3, someone jumped through a wall and killed me...

I noticed that as soon as I started hearing about this hacking issue, MW2 PS3 sales crashed.

Maybe the hacking isn't that bad, but the timing is perfect. I think MW2 sales on PS3 dropped due to hacking.

For GT5? I was only implying that December shipment was meant to last. I did not know PD made quarterly shipments (or maybe they just announce shipped units quarterly, that makes more sence).

Also GT5 sold 5.5 million or so, so doesn't it make sence they shipped that much? They shipped 8 million Kinects for January 2011, and only at the end of January did sales surpass 8 million.

What are you trying to say? Shipped values are nothing good to go by, not all games sell what they ship. Kinect sold shipped units within a month, GT5 took 3 months. My only point was that on a weekly basis GT5 is selling about half as well as GT4, and because it's selling a lot worse, it's less likely to reach the sale sales level.

It's the ratio for yearly MW2 sales in America.  It's a pain in the ass now to check weekly sales if they are out of the top 40 since you can only see in 10k increments.  However it seems most of the MW2 hacking news is from mid January, and it seems to have been selling less than half since before then.

I never said Polyphony made quarterly shipments, I said they updated their list quarterly.  You were trying to say they haven't made any new shipments since December, and that they could potentially last through May.  You have no evidence to support this.  You seemed to be working off the fact that the last update was from the end of December, so thus they haven't shipped any more copies.

Like I said, a couple weeks ago all we knew was that it had shipped 5.5 million copies in 12 days.  Were you saying the same things about that number that you're saying about the 6.4 million figure?

This isn't a case like Fallout 3 shipping 4.7 million first week and then taking around a year to sell through that.  When you get regular updates on shipment numbers I would say they are a good thing to go by.  If one quarter sees no increase or a very small increase then it either means it has stopped selling or the previous quarter overshipped.  If they keep shipping out more copies then there is obviously still demand for it.  You seem to be acting like the numbers on VGC are 100% accurate and never change.  Just as an example, GT5's first week is 230,000 higher now than when it first went up.   Do you want to bet that when Polyphony updates the numbers for March 2011 they will be higher than they are now?

Yakuzaice said:
Michael-5 said:

The answer for the jump is simple. PS3 MW2 has a lot more hacking. I don't own MW2, but I played it on my friends 360 np, but on my other friends PS3, someone jumped through a wall and killed me...

I noticed that as soon as I started hearing about this hacking issue, MW2 PS3 sales crashed.

Maybe the hacking isn't that bad, but the timing is perfect. I think MW2 sales on PS3 dropped due to hacking.

For GT5? I was only implying that December shipment was meant to last. I did not know PD made quarterly shipments (or maybe they just announce shipped units quarterly, that makes more sence).

Also GT5 sold 5.5 million or so, so doesn't it make sence they shipped that much? They shipped 8 million Kinects for January 2011, and only at the end of January did sales surpass 8 million.

What are you trying to say? Shipped values are nothing good to go by, not all games sell what they ship. Kinect sold shipped units within a month, GT5 took 3 months. My only point was that on a weekly basis GT5 is selling about half as well as GT4, and because it's selling a lot worse, it's less likely to reach the sale sales level.

It's the ratio for yearly MW2 sales in America.  It's a pain in the ass now to check weekly sales if they are out of the top 40 since you can only see in 10k increments.  However it seems most of the MW2 hacking news is from mid January, and it seems to have been selling less than half since before then.

I never said Polyphony made quarterly shipments, I said they updated their list quarterly.  You were trying to say they haven't made any new shipments since December, and that they could potentially last through May.  You have no evidence to support this.  You seemed to be working off the fact that the last update was from the end of December, so thus they haven't shipped any more copies.

Like I said, a couple weeks ago all we knew was that it had shipped 5.5 million copies in 12 days.  Were you saying the same things about that number that you're saying about the 6.4 million figure?

This isn't a case like Fallout 3 shipping 4.7 million first week and then taking around a year to sell through that.  When you get regular updates on shipment numbers I would say they are a good thing to go by.  If one quarter sees no increase or a very small increase then it either means it has stopped selling or the previous quarter overshipped.  If they keep shipping out more copies then there is obviously still demand for it.  You seem to be acting like the numbers on VGC are 100% accurate and never change.  Just as an example, GT5's first week is 230,000 higher now than when it first went up.   Do you want to bet that when Polyphony updates the numbers for March 2011 they will be higher than they are now?

No I heard about hacking just after christmas, which is when MW2 PS3 sales droped. Timing is perfect if you ask me. I could be wrong, some other factor could be at play, but for now this is most realistic scenario IMO.

As for GT5, I see what your getting at. However I don't think the shipment figure will change much in March. Units sold is a much better way to track a game.

When GT5 shipped 5.5 million, I don't think I said anything. One of my friends thought they meant units sold, and I had to explain the difference, but I don't think I made any comments.

VGC isn't 100% accurate, it usually takes 3-6 months before they stop adjusting the data. Remember the big boost PS3 got a month after Move?

I still don't believe GT5 will break 10 million. You can make speculations based on shipped figures, but those are only shipped figures, not sold. VGC isn't 100% accurate, but they usually are fairly accurate. So when GT5 weekly sales are less then 60% GT4's weekly sales, I'd be a bit skeptical of sales even coming close to GT4's sales, which are only 10.61 million. Ontop of that GT5 only matched GT4 sales despite the holiday release window, where GT4 was released in February/March. Also GT4 remained in the top 20 for something like 25 weeks. GT5 is already out of the top 10 selling games in less then half the time.

All signs point to GT5 not being as successful as biased loyal Sony fans like to believe. I acknowdge that Halo Reach won't sell as well as Halo 3, why can't Sony fans do the same for GT5?

pezus said:
Michael-5 said:
Yakuzaice said:
Michael-5 said:

And for Black Ops

The answer for the jump is simple. PS3 MW2 has a lot more hacking. I don't own MW2, but I played it on my friends 360 np, but on my other friends PS3, someone jumped through a wall and killed me, and another time a guy fell from the sky and killed me...

I noticed that as soon as I started hearing about this hacking issue, and significant hacking on MW2 for PS3, MW2 PS3 sales crashed. Infinity Ward even adressed the issue, but only for PS3 (which tells us the hacking is limited to PS3)

Maybe the hacking isn't that bad, but the timing is perfect. I think MW2 sales on PS3 dropped due to hacking. I have no proof, but I don't think this is a coincidence.

For GT5 I was only implying that December shipment was meant to last. I did not know PD made quarterly shipments (or maybe they just announce shipped units quarterly, that makes more sence). If PD shipped 9 million units total, that doesn't mean the game will sell 9 million units anytime soon, if ever.

Also GT5 sold 5.5 million or so, so doesn't it make sence they shipped that much? Took longer then most expected, but it still did it. They shipped 8 million Kinects for January 2011, and only at the end of January did sales surpass 8 million.

What are you trying to say? Shipped values are nothing good to go by, not all games sell what they ship. Kinect sold shipped units within a month, GT5 took 3 months. My only point was that on a weekly basis GT5 is selling about half as well as GT4, and because it's selling a lot worse, it's less likely to reach the same sales level.

At this rate, if GT5 holds sales at 55% of GT4's sales (which it didn't even do last week), the game will only sell 8.5-9 million lifetime. Hey wow, right in my prediction range, educated guesses based on math work.

The moment VGChartz numbers become 100% accurate, that might become true. VGChartz has about a 10% error range so GT5 could be at something like 6.05 millions now for all we know. You can't just look at the numbers here and determine GT5's success of them.

Okay 10% error range. That still means GT5 is selling 45-55k weekly, much much less then GT4's 90k weekly. Total range could be 10% off in the other direction, so it could have sold less then 5 million total.

Even under ideal circumstances, GT5 has no chance of passing 10 million. So although there is substantial error in VGC GT5's numbers, at least to 6 months, you can still see trends. Barely matched GT4 sales despite being released just before christmas, and after the season ended, sales plumetted.

What do you think Analysts do for a living? They make estimates based off information given by VGC and other organizations (some which are 100% accurate and VGC base their intel on, like Press conferences, and NPD)