By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS3 Hacker Raised All the Legal Funds Needed to Beat Sony in a Weekend

A203D said:

I hope he does fail, because what he did wasnt wrong. but he distributed and published that code online, and thats the problem.

but i was under the impression Sony had already won?!

Having considered all the papers and arguments, the Court finds that SCEA has shown a likelihood of success on the merits of its claims for violation of the DMCA and CFAA, and that it will suffer irreparable harm unless Defeendant Hotz’s violations are enjoined. TheCourt also finds that a Temporary Restraining Order and Order of Impoundment are necessary to prevent immediate and irreparable injury to SCEA before the hearing on the Order to Show Cause regarding the preliminary injunction can take place, and to preserve the status quo. The Court further finds that the balance of equity and interests of justice support granting such relief.

sony won the first bit but geohot has a hearing. or something not exactly sure of this though.

correct me if I am wrong
stop me if I am bias
I love a good civilised debate (but only if we can learn something).

Around the Network
Xen said:
Khuutra said:

So Geohot is the guy whho's cheating on all those PS3s and whatnot?

I had no idea.

He gave everyone the means to. I won't use the old keys and house argument here, but you see what I'm talking about.

Guess what, that doesn't matter.

People are allowed to hack their systems! He is! You are! I am! You aren't allowed to do some things past that, like maliciously mounting attacks against the network or other players, but you are free and clear to arrange your hardware however you like and help others do the same thing. You are not responsible for what they do beyond that, not legally.

Khuutra said:

I had no idea.

Good for you! That's the reason the case is going on, you know.

The one who idstributed might be just as responsible as the one who's behind it. I can't just distribute weapons to terrorists and get away with it. Even though I didn't do any violence....

You have no idea!

superchunk said:

While I get irritated at what his hacking has allowed on the PS3 and overall Pirating in general, I am 100% behind him in this battle.

When you purchase any product, that product is yours. If you choose to set it on fire you can. If you choose to paint it pink with yellow dots, you can. If you choose to completely re-purpose the product via its software, you fucking can. Its yours.

Its the same argument I have against the smart phone industry. I shouldn't have to break my warranty by rooting my Android phone just to remove all the horrible bloat ware Verizon pushes on the device. The company has a right to preinstall whatever the fuck they want, but I should not be forced to use it and have every right to remove it so I can have the device operate the way I want it to. If I go buy a Dell PC and take it home, I can relatively easily remove any preinstalled software. However, I can't on my phone?

For some reason companies have moved into a setup where they think they have the legal right to force their consumers to use a device only the way they decide. That's BS and that's why I support Geohot is this court case.

I want this precedent set so we the consumer will actually own our products again.

exactly

Is this guy being sued because he played uncharted illegaly and didn't pay for it?  is he playing killzone for freee?

i don't see anything showing he is STEALING anything.  He is just doing what he wants to HIS OWN BELONGINGS and not stealing anything.  He is not taking money away from anyone.  

Hell right now i'm using a $2 bill for a bookmark, should the government sue me for using that incorrectly?  If i buy a computer from as you said dell, can i not uninstall windows and use linux instead when i get home?

I was under the impression from buying said things like a computer, a ps3, a wii, ect that if DO something like this it voids my warrantly with them.  That is it.  IT is not illegal to do other LEGAL things with it.  This guy did nothign illegal.

HIs posting of the code i'm sure will cause many OTHER people to use it for illegal means, but that is not this guys fault.  Should J. K. Rowling sue the first person to post a Harry potters ending online. 

Exactly, when the hacking involves tampering with the online capabilities of the PS3 and homebrew "cheating - hacking" programs can affect information of other users, then it doesn't sound legal. Also there are is a legal agreement when you register on to the PSN network.

Its a lot different than previous generation consoles. Also there is no reason for people to complain that they cannot install whatever they want on their ps3. When a PS3 is sold, its capabilities and 'freedom' are stated and known. If someone does not like what it offers then the solution is not to pay someone to hack it but buy something else, for example a PC which is an open platform.

One last thing, Gehot states that his purpose is to enable users to run their homebrew programs on their PS3's and that his firmware is not supporting pirated games. Then why did he release the PS3 root key to everyone?

Around the Network
mantlepiecek said:
Khuutra said:

I had no idea.

Good for you! That's the reason the case is going on, you know.

The one who idstributed might be just as responsible as the one who's behind it. I can't just distribute weapons to terrorists and get away with it. Even though I didn't do any violence....

You have no idea!

I'm not sure if this is an ironic or an unironic response to my own irony; it seems to blend both. Meta-irony is easily the most headscratching problem there is.

I like your use of "might" here. It lets you say a thing without actually committing to it.

Giving Money to a Hacker goes against everything a pirate believes in.  They do not pay for anything, let alone give away money.

I call shenanigans

*looks at his Sony Dual Tape Deck, CD burner, DVD burner and Bluray Burner....*

Cause I use all that stuff to make my own music... :)

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Khuutra said:
Xen said:
Khuutra said:

I had no idea.

He gave everyone the means to. I won't use the old keys and house argument here, but you see what I'm talking about.

People are allowed to hack their systems! He is! You are! I am! You aren't allowed to do some things past that, like maliciously mounting attacks against the network or other players, but you are free and clear to arrange your hardware however you like and help others do the same thing. You are not responsible for what they do beyond that, not legally.

I stand on that it does. What he did is just being criminally careless - since it allows the latter. If that is bound by law indeed, then Sony wouldn't even start to dive into it, but from here on, it seems that the Judge will be the one that'll decide.

Xen said:
Khuutra said:

I stand on that it does. What he did is just being criminally careless - since it allows the latter. If that is bound by law indeed, then Sony wouldn't even start to dive into it, but from here on, it seems that the Judge will be the one that'll decide.

You talk like they haven't lost these cases before. Sony doing a thing is no guarantee that they think it's the law, it's just a guarantee that they thought they could beat whatever defense Geohot mounted.

But yes, you are right, the courts will be the deciders here.