By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS3 Hacker Raised All the Legal Funds Needed to Beat Sony in a Weekend

Legend11 said:
A203D said:

I hope he does fail, because what he did wasnt wrong. but he distributed and published that code online, and thats the problem.

but i was under the impression Sony had already won?!

Wrong how?  Do you think computer manufacturers should  have the right to tell you what you can and can't install on your computer?  Then why should Sony or any console manufacturer have that right?  Do you feel you own the consoles you have or do you feel they're the property of the console manufacturers?

Thats not what i'm saying. i'm saying fine he did what he wanted to his property in private, for whatever reasons. thats fine, no one knows about it, no one gets hurt right.

but why has he distributed in depth details of that hack. this is completely unecessary - he should be sued for this because Sony protect the gaming industry. its not cheap for developers to make games, especailly on the HD consoles. and especially on the Sony PS3 where the games arnt selling as well as the 360 or the Wii. so developers like Quantic Dream really depend on loyal consumers buying they're products.

geohotz dosent give a shit about Sony or the livelyhoods they protect. he didnt have to the distribute the code, he did it to become famous and popular, and he deserves to be sued for that. because he clearly dosent have a clue how hard people work in the gaming industry to provide us with high quality entertainment.

i think my argument is justified.

Around the Network

i can see both sides of this debate, but im not gonna choose a side. prefer to keep my hand out of that shark tank.

anywho, amazing he made that much money that fast. this should be interesting.

westplay said:

I can't believe that people actually paid this spoiled brat...

What can I say?  The "get a life heart" phrase fits

Fix'd

Xen said:
Khuutra said:
axumblade said:

Is anyone really surprised? He's obviously not liked on most gaming industry or in the forums (especially VGChartz, a site that's dedicated to sales). BUT in the world of pirates, he's considered a hero.

Again: he's also legally in the right, here. It's one thing to be a pirate, it's another thing to be someone who wants to take the piss out of Sony, it's quite another to be someone who wants the law to be upheld instead of corporations being able to bully people down.

What are Sony's charges against him?

All right, let me think

I'm going to guess

They're suing him on a civil level because he broke the security on the PS3?

geddesmond2 said:

Yeah I noticed a few of the pro Xbox crowd SAID they donated some money(personally I think most of them are full of shit) but I just wonder if there beloved 360 or Wii's security was compromised like the PS3s would they be so supportive.

Personally I don't care what hackers do with the PS3 just as long as my legitimate experiance isn't ruined but thats not been the case and recent reports of how hackers can steal your information or ban anyone they like backs up the problems I'm having with this whole debate right now.

You have no idea how popular the Wii homebrew scene is, do you

Even when it has nothing to do with piracy

Around the Network
axumblade said:
Khuutra said:
axumblade said:

Is anyone really surprised? He's obviously not liked on most gaming industry or in the forums (especially VGChartz, a site that's dedicated to sales). BUT in the world of pirates, he's considered a hero.

Again: he's also legally in the right, here. It's one thing to be a pirate, it's another thing to be someone who wants to take the piss out of Sony, it's quite another to be someone who wants the law to be upheld instead of corporations being able to bully people down.

Did I say if I think he's right or wrong? I was merely pointing out that it's in no way surprising that he raised the money he was asking for. 

Listen you can half-talk with a lot of people but I am not the one.

The simple fact that the ony source of support for him that you cited was the "world of pirates" necessarily phrases and frames his actions as those of a man who is himself a pirate, of which there is absolutely no proof, nor any proof that he intended to enable piracy.

If you didn't mean to communicate that then watch your words more carefully, but I think you're too smart to have been that careless in this context.

Khuutra said:
Xen said:
Khuutra said:
axumblade said:

All right, let me think

I'm going to guess

They are *probably* suing him on breaking copyright laws, and he did that, for fact. I just fail to see how is he legally on the right here, sorry.

Khuutra said:
geddesmond2 said:

Yeah I noticed a few of the pro Xbox crowd SAID they donated some money(personally I think most of them are full of shit) but I just wonder if there beloved 360 or Wii's security was compromised like the PS3s would they be so supportive.

Personally I don't care what hackers do with the PS3 just as long as my legitimate experiance isn't ruined but thats not been the case and recent reports of how hackers can steal your information or ban anyone they like backs up the problems I'm having with this whole debate right now.

Correct me if I'm wrong (cuz I really don't know for sure), but do Wii hackers affect other people's online experince? Can they delete your saves or mess with you when you play online? I have a wii but I only play games offline. Also many  Wii games sell really well despite piracy since many (not most) Wii owner are quite young and do not know how to hack their consoles. I've seen a lot of shovelware or mediocre games sell a lot on wii (not as much as the good wii games), but not on 360. For example Dante's inferno, a mediocre game according to most reviewers, did not sell well at all but was the most pirated 360 game in 2010. So I guess the Wii homebrew does not affect gamers/developers the same way the 360/ps3 does.

Xen said:
Khuutra said:
Xen said:

All right, let me think

I'm going to guess

They are *probably* suing him on breaking copyright laws, and he did that, for fact. I just fail to see how is he legally on the right here, sorry.

Did he now?

All right, enlighten me. How does breaking the security on the PS3 violate copyright law?

naruball said:
Khuutra said:

Correct me if I'm wrong (cuz I really don't know for sure), but do Wii hackers affect other people's online experince? Can they delete your saves or mess with you when you play online? I have a wii but I only play games offline. Also many  Wii games sell really well despite piracy since many (not most) Wii owner are quite young and do not know how to hack their consoles. I've seen a lot of shovelware or mediocre games sell a lot on wii (not as much as the good wii games), but not on 360. For example Dante's inferno, a mediocre game according to most reviewers, did not sell well at all but was the most pirated 360 game in 2010. So I guess the Wii homebrew does not affect gamers/developers the same way the 360/ps3 does.

Yes, they can do terrible cheating things, and no, it doesn't matter. Cheating is wrong, piracy is wrong, but modifying your console is not wrong.