By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS3 Hacker Raised All the Legal Funds Needed to Beat Sony in a Weekend

superchunk said:

While I get irritated at what his hacking has allowed on the PS3 and overall Pirating in general, I am 100% behind him in this battle.

When you purchase any product, that product is yours. If you choose to set it on fire you can. If you choose to paint it pink with yellow dots, you can. If you choose to completely re-purpose the product via its software, you fucking can. Its yours.

Its the same argument I have against the smart phone industry. I shouldn't have to break my warranty by rooting my Android phone just to remove all the horrible bloat ware Verizon pushes on the device. The company has a right to preinstall whatever the fuck they want, but I should not be forced to use it and have every right to remove it so I can have the device operate the way I want it to. If I go buy a Dell PC and take it home, I can relatively easily remove any preinstalled software. However, I can't on my phone?

For some reason companies have moved into a setup where they think they have the legal right to force their consumers to use a device only the way they decide. That's BS and that's why I support Geohot is this court case.

I want this precedent set so we the consumer will actually own our products again.

I can't be assed to read the entire thread, so I'm glad this post was on the first page.  I absolutely and unequivocally agree with every single point made.  Well done sir...

Around the Network
Ail said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

Weapons can be used to commit crimes and weapons manufacturers perfectly know it and everybody knows it.

So:

• Weapons should be banned
  • Weapons manufacturers should be condemned as accomplices of countless crimes

• The sale of weapons to the public is actually heavilly controlled if not forbidden in most the Western world.

There is only one main country still clinging to this idea that minute men have to be ready to grab their guns from the closet and form militia to defend the country in case of attack..

Weapons makers are not condemned because goverments have use for them to provide their army..( same reason it isn't ok to have a nuclear bomb in your backyard but it's ok for the US government to have thousands of them).

Actually weapons are a lot more misused than jailbreaks, in fact, so neither jailbreaks nor GeoHot should be blamed, but just the pirates. It would be good that the judges absolve GeoHot and jailbreaks, as they already did in similar cases, but the sentence should clearly state the limits of good and fair use of the users' freedom. When someone hacks its own console, it's within his rights, but it's as much obvious that Sony has every right to ban modded consoles from its network and to take harsher measures, up to sueing them, towards users that not only break just the terms of use, but commit worse abuses damaging either Sony or other users. But this is a thing that GeoHot too agrees about, and BTW it's already granted by the current laws. But as others wrote, Sony should switch to totally server centered security, as it's a well known rule that a remote client should never be considered safe by default. What Sony did, allow a client key to easily hack servers, could have been easily considered guilty negligence if it affected a network more critical than just a gaming one.

Also there are far more effective ways to secure a network than limiting the buyers' rights on the HW they purchase, a measure that wouldn't stop either malicious exploiters or pirates anyway, as they already act outside of the law, and wouldn't ensure an even vaguely level of security, so it's not a good thing that such a lame but dangerous attack on users' rigts is attempted, if allowed, it would only be granted to damage people without giving the boasted benefits.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
    A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
    TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Really sad seeing people so eager to just give away their freedoms.  Fair use is very much under attack here... the best case from a consumer view would be a ruling like the iPhone jailbreak, and a further limitation/exemption to the draconian DMCA.  Also, if manufacturers want that UELA to be so binding, it should have to be signed at the point of sale and witnessed (by the retailer).   

If Nintendo were pulling this sort of bullshit, I'd have nothing but terrible things to say about them.  Some of you can't see the forest for the trees.