By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS3 Hacker Raised All the Legal Funds Needed to Beat Sony in a Weekend

Another reason to NOT support Sony on this case:

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/42690/Sony-vs-Hotz-sends-dangerous-message

EFF claims lawsuit against PS3 hack scares off researchers and customers

The Electronic Frontier Foundation has spoken out against Sony’s efforts to prosecute George Hotz, the man behind the PS3 hack.

The civil liberties group claims that the legislation that forms the basis of Sony’s lawsuit – the Digital Millennium Copyright Act and the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act – can be used to unfairly punish customers.

It could even scare off legitimate security researchers, who “will be afraid to publish their results lest they be accused of a circumventing a technological protection measure”.

On its website, the EFF said: “We’ve been concerned that the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act could be abused to try to make alleged contract violations into crimes. We’ve never been sorrier to be right. These two things are precisely what’s happening in Sony vs Hotz.

“Sony is sending another dangerous message: that it has rights in the computer it sells you even after you buy it, and therefore can decide whether your tinkering with that computer is legal or not.

Around the Network
fordy said:
KylieDog said:
superchunk said:
KylieDog said:
superchunk said:

While I get irritated at what his hacking has allowed on the PS3 and overall Pirating in general, I am 100% behind him in this battle.

When you purchase any product, that product is yours. If you choose to set it on fire you can. If you choose to paint it pink with yellow dots, you can. If you choose to completely re-purpose the product via its software, you fucking can. Its yours.

Its the same argument I have against the smart phone industry. I shouldn't have to break my warranty by rooting my Android phone just to remove all the horrible bloat ware Verizon pushes on the device. The company has a right to preinstall whatever the fuck they want, but I should not be forced to use it and have every right to remove it so I can have the device operate the way I want it to. If I go buy a Dell PC and take it home, I can relatively easily remove any preinstalled software. However, I can't on my phone?

For some reason companies have moved into a setup where they think they have the legal right to force their consumers to use a device only the way they decide. That's BS and that's why I support Geohot is this court case.

I want this precedent set so we the consumer will actually own our products again.

You are one of the people that do not even understand what he has done wrong.

Enlighten me on what he did unlawfully or morally wrong.

He hacked his personal belongings for his stated purpose to personalize it with what he wants on it.

What he has done is the same as if he bought a movie on DVD.  That DVD is his to do what he wants with it but the film on the DVD does not belong to him is belongs to the makers, so when he starts posting the film for everyone to see he screwed up.  This is no different.

I wish people could get their facts straight.

A movie is an artwork. Artwork can be copyrighted.

A master key is a binary INTEGER. Integers cannot be copyrighted.

I wonder if you guys would feel the same if the dude had posted a way to hack visa card transactions...

I mean you guys keep arguing you can do whatever you want with your PS3 right ?

So the same thing should hold true for your credit card right ?( which in most europeans countries actually hold a chip).

So if he wins, technically anyone can hack into their credit card tomorrow right ?

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Ail said:

I wonder if you guys would feel the same if the dude had posted a way to hack visa card transactions...

You're missing the point, since all hardware that makes those transactions IS owned by Visa, whereas a sold PS3 does not belong to Sony. It belongs to the consumer.

Man I hate hackers! ruins gaming.

fordy said:
Ail said:

You're missing the point, since all hardware that makes those transactions IS owned by Visa, whereas a sold PS3 does not belong to Sony. It belongs to the consumer.

Visa owns my credit card ?

That's new to me... They may own the devices that read those cards but in most civilized countries ( except the US that are very backwards in that area) credit cards actually have chips and software on them...

These is what I am talking about :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_card

Around the Network
Ail said:
fordy said:
Ail said:

That's new to me... They may own the devices that read those cards but in most civilized countries ( except the US that are very backwards in that area) credit cards actually have chips and software on them...

Yes. Read the terms and conditions when applying. All credit cards remain the property of the credit card company.

KylieDog said:
fordy said:
Ail said:
fordy said:
Ail said:

Yes. Read the terms and conditions when applying. All credit cards remain the property of the credit card company.

Sony have their own TnC's about the PS3 and its security...

Sony have an EULA. The difference there is that a ToC requires a signature, and can be held up in court, whereas an EULA has little to no chance.

Sony are nailed to a wall here. Credit cards are cheap plastic. The PS3 is expensive electronics. If Sony gave the PS3 away for free, I wouldn't complain at all about whether they own it or not. However, to say that you pay upwards of $599 and NOT own your console is absurd.

fordy said:
KylieDog said:
fordy said:
Ail said:
fordy said:
Ail said:

Sony have an EULA. The difference there is that a ToC requires a signature, and can be held up in court, whereas an EULA has little to no chance.

Sony are nailed to a wall here. Credit cards are cheap plastic. The PS3 is expensive electronics. If Sony gave the PS3 away for free, I wouldn't complain at all about whether they own it or not. However, to say that you pay upwards of $599 and NOT own your console is absurd.

I paid over 300k for my house and I can't paint it the color I want and I won't sue anyone over this.....

naruball said:
Khuutra said:
geddesmond2 said:

Yeah I noticed a few of the pro Xbox crowd SAID they donated some money(personally I think most of them are full of shit) but I just wonder if there beloved 360 or Wii's security was compromised like the PS3s would they be so supportive.

Personally I don't care what hackers do with the PS3 just as long as my legitimate experiance isn't ruined but thats not been the case and recent reports of how hackers can steal your information or ban anyone they like backs up the problems I'm having with this whole debate right now.

You have no idea how popular the Wii homebrew scene is, do you

Even when it has nothing to do with piracy

Correct me if I'm wrong (cuz I really don't know for sure), but do Wii hackers affect other people's online experince? Can they delete your saves or mess with you when you play online? I have a wii but I only play games offline. Also many  Wii games sell really well despite piracy since many (not most) Wii owner are quite young and do not know how to hack their consoles. I've seen a lot of shovelware or mediocre games sell a lot on wii (not as much as the good wii games), but not on 360. For example Dante's inferno, a mediocre game according to most reviewers, did not sell well at all but was the most pirated 360 game in 2010. So I guess the Wii homebrew does not affect gamers/developers the same way the 360/ps3 does.

Something like 3-4 million people have the "homebrew channel" on their wii according to the developers. Who I might add are extremly upstanding completely against piracy people.

I own a PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii...I'm completely pro Xbox 360, I can't stand my PS3 hardly gets used other than for the amazing exclusives that are Uncharted 2 and MGS4. Other than that it's a paper weight, I fully support modding of all hardware including consoles if at all possible.

The benefit of being able to play all my games off the hard drive is a great idea to me.

It's a shame that dick heads were cheating on PSN, but I believe that has been fixed, or will be fixed very soon so really don't see the problem. Even if it couldn't be fixed, civil rights come first over any corporate bullshit in my eyes, no matter the cost and implications.

Tough luck, would say exactly the same about Xbox 360. The difference with that is that to modifiy an Xbox 360 so it can run unsigned code is only possible on consoles around 2 years old and that haven't been updated to a dash since that time.

The hack that just allows pirate games to run can be done on ANY Xbox 360, I don't have a problem with that either.

Also, I don't remember seeing a tirade of angry little boys moaning when the first Xbox 360 DVD-ROM hack came out, or when the full jtag hack (that allowed cheating online) came out...

It's just another reason why I really dislike the PS3 in general, the whole userbase seems incredibly uninformed and brainwashed by the Sony suits. Just don't like narrow minded people like that. Yep, it's a bit sad that people influence my liking if a console in that way but the blind fanboyism on the PS3 is so bad it's very hard to not be totally turned off by it if you value forward thinking and individualism.

KylieDog said:
fordy said:
Ail said:
fordy said:
Ail said:

This is only agreed to when using PSN.

You can hack your console completely without even signing up to PSN or being confronted with that EULA.