By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS3 Hacker Raised All the Legal Funds Needed to Beat Sony in a Weekend

Khuutra said:
Xen said:
Khuutra said:
Xen said:

What are Sony's charges against him?

All right, let me think

I'm going to guess

They're suing him on a civil level because he broke the security on the PS3?

They are *probably* suing him on breaking copyright laws, and he did that, for fact. I just fail to see how is he legally on the right here, sorry.

Did he now?

All right, enlighten me. How does breaking the security on the PS3 violate copyright law?

He got his CFW out, which is simply Sony code modified and distributed by him.

Around the Network

Pirates have no money to buy games legally but they give such a douchebag so much money? Pirates = logic fail.

updated: 14.01.2012

playing right now: Xenoblade Chronicles

Hype-o-meter, from least to most hyped:  the Last Story, Twisted Metal, Mass Effect 3, Final Fantasy XIII-2, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Playstation ViTA

bet with Mordred11 that Rage will look better on Xbox 360.

Xen said:
Khuutra said:

Did he now?

All right, enlighten me. How does breaking the security on the PS3 violate copyright law?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bleem!

Legal precedent set by Sony vs. Bleem! indicates that that (and much more besides) is not copyright infringement.

Khuutra said:
Xen said:
Khuutra said:

Did he now?

Legal precedent set by Sony vs. Bleem! indicates that that (and much more besides) is not copyright infringement.

"protect David from Goliath"?

Bias. I am no legal expert, but in this case, Sony's the one that should logically win - it's their system and and their screenshots!

Xen said:
Khuutra said:

Bias. I am no legal expert, but in this case, Sony's the one that should logically win - it's their system and and their screenshots!

No you are not (nor am I) and no it isn't. It's your system once you buy it, and you're free to modify it however you damn well please, and also to show other people how to do the same thing (though mayhbe not do it for them).

Around the Network
Porcupine_I said:
SleepWaking said:
Porcupine_I said:

so he got the $50 vor his cousin Vinnie, the laywer? great!

What kind of response is this???

one that mirrors exactly the amount of attention i am willing to pay to that particular subject at hand

the fact that you came into this topic knowing full well what its about due to title and posted not ONCE, but twice shows that you are giving it more attentino than that.  

Khuutra said:
Xen said:
Khuutra said:

No you are not (nor am I) and no it isn't. It's your system once you buy it, and you're free to modify it however you damn well please, and also to show other people how to do the same thing (though mayhbe not do it for them).

The difference is... you hack your own, don't compromise a whole network.

Xen said:
Khuutra said:

So Geohot is the guy whho's cheating on all those PS3s and whatnot?

I had no idea.

Khuutra said:
Xen said:
Khuutra said:

So Geohot is the guy whho's cheating on all those PS3s and whatnot?

I had no idea.

He gave everyone the means to. I won't use the old keys and house argument here, but you see what I'm talking about.

He keeps saying he doesn't support the bad stuff...but he knows full well that when he published his work online, it was HIS fault that piracy, getting free PSN stuff, and hell...even unbanning yourself and banning other consoles happened.

He should have kept it to himself, but instead, he spread his work to the masses and has caused everything that's started. So what if you don't believe in piracy, geohot. Because of you, it's happening.

I could say that I don't believe in guns because many times, they are the tools used in crimes like murder and robbery...but if I work at a gun store, that seems pretty hypocritical, don't it?

He's a hacker that believes that "once it becomes my property, I have the right to do WHATEVER I want with the product". I think piracy and the like falls under the "whatever" category. So if he keeps using that as his defense, I hope Sony uses what I just said because that effectively terminates his logic. He contradicts himself. "Consumers should be able to do whatever they want with their products"...but then he condemns stuff that falls under "whatever". 

and he can't rap