By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS3 Hacker Raised All the Legal Funds Needed to Beat Sony in a Weekend

Rpruett said:

The case won't come down to ownership of systems. 

It will come down to distributing sensitive materials to millions of other people and grand-standing it (and knowing full well of the potential harm it would cause Sony.  This is not modifying your own console, this is giving instructions on how to modify in a very specific deviate manner to anyone and everyone. 

He can say publicly that he doesn't condone piracy all he wants,  but at the end of the day,  with the materials he released he will have a hard time proving that stance.

For example,  I could know exactly how to bomb the World Trade Center and where it was the most vulnerable, Maybe I helped build the WTC and had blueprints for them.  By releasing the blueprints online,  I would still get in trouble and by extension would probably be thrown in jail especially if my actions were proven to be ill-designed.

There's a difference between safety of corporate interests and safety of the public. Having the PS3 Master Keys fall into the wrong hands isn't going to kill people...

Around the Network
damndl0ser said:
Xen said:
Khuutra said:
Xen said:
Khuutra said:
axumblade said:

Is anyone really surprised? He's obviously not liked on most gaming industry or in the forums (especially VGChartz, a site that's dedicated to sales). BUT in the world of pirates, he's considered a hero.

Again: he's also legally in the right, here. It's one thing to be a pirate, it's another thing to be someone who wants to take the piss out of Sony, it's quite another to be someone who wants the law to be upheld instead of corporations being able to bully people down.

What are Sony's charges against him?

All right, let me think

I'm going to guess

They're suing him on a civil level because he broke the security on the PS3?

They are *probably* suing him on breaking copyright laws, and he did that, for fact. I just fail to see how is he legally on the right here, sorry.

The Eula that Sony makes you sign is as useful as a piece of toilet paper with shit on it.  The only thing its good for is flushing down the toilet.

As far as I know there has never been a Eula that stood the test of court.  And most companies use them to bully people who have no money into doing what they want.   Most of the time this works but when it goes to court it always fails.  Sony is just trying to make this guy a scape goat and to try and make the next hacker out there re-think what they are doing.  Which will never happen, hackers will be hackers and they give 2 shits about making money off their efforts or what it costs them in the long run.

My thoughts on the matter is this.  I hate any hacker that ruins my fucking experience, they are useless assholes who need to burn in hell (ban them all and through away the key).  For the other "real hackers" you know the kind that do home brew or do linux etc....  more power too you.  You should have every right in the world to turn your PS3 into whatever kind of entertainment hub that you want too without any fear from big brother coming to smash your head in.  I hope Geohot wins just because it will set a precident for Sony and any other big company to take even more draconian actions against us.   

The biggest problem I have is that Sony is basically throughing the Homebrew, Linux and "Real Hackers" in with the pirates and game modders.  Just because you do homebrew or put linux on your ps3 shouldn't give Sony the right to ban you from playing on PSN unless your running modded/pirated software.

PSN is a free service, Sony has every right to cut that service to someone whenever they feel like it.

Just because it is free....

Because you had access to someone free for some amount time doesn't mean you get guaranteed free access your whole life time..

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Rpruett said:
Khuutra said:

What an odd thing to say - the matter of ownership of systems (and what one does with them) is exactly the situation we are talking about.

The case won't come down to ownership of systems. 

It will come down to distributing sensitive materials to millions of other people and grand-standing it (and knowing full well of the potential harm it would cause Sony.  This is not modifying your own console, this is giving instructions on how to modify in a very specific deviate manner to anyone and everyone. 

He can say publicly that he doesn't condone piracy all he wants,  but at the end of the day,  with the materials he released he will have a hard time proving that stance.

For example,  I could know exactly how to bomb the World Trade Center and where it was the most vulnerable, Maybe I helped build the WTC and had blueprints for them.  By releasing the blueprints online,  I would still get in trouble and by extension would probably be thrown in jail especially if my actions were proven to be ill-designed.

You bring up an interesting point.

I've exhausted the limit of useful contributions I can make, unfortunately; I must bow out.

Ail said:
geddesmond2 said:
NYANKS said:
geddesmond2 said:

It just goes to show the amount of hate people have for Sony. Lol and people say PS3 fanboys exagerate all this stuff like unfair reviews and what not. The dude raised over 30k in one weekend. Nobodys gonna donate money to somebody like this without having hate for the people they are against.

Has nothing to do with hating Sony personally.  I'll be damned if a quarter of the people who donated don't even understand the topic completely, at least.  They just want to support pirating or the "little guy."  And I thought the article says he didn't specify money.

He didn't specify money but in a previous blog he said he just raised 10k and that he could now afford 1 more lawyer. He also said that he has 2 lawyers while Sony has 5 and he wants to raise money to even the playing field. So if he needs 3 lawyers to make it all even and 1 lawyer costs 10k then he must have raised 30k.

Also I wouldn't say the people who pirate are the giving type and if it is true that he doesn't condone piracy and his hack had nothing to do with piracy then I don't see why any pirates would want to help the dude out.

What kind of sucky lawyer do you get for 10k ?

Like someone else said, it must be his cousin Vinnie.

This is not a simple parole case for drug abuse...

It probably is a retainer for the lawyer.  But you can get a lot of lawyers for much less than $10k. One thing your forgetting is that if this lawyer wins his name will be associated with a precident.  And I am certain that a lot of lawyers would do the work for free for such a high profile case.

(Johny Lawyer) who only cost 10k wins a case against the evil empire of Sony.  That would look good on any application to a big Lawyer Firm.

"If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow."

Quote by- The Imortal John Wayne, the original BADASS!

mantlepiecek said:
Khuutra said:
mantlepiecek said:
Khuutra said:

I'm not sure if this is an ironic or an unironic response to my own irony; it seems to blend both. Meta-irony is easily the most headscratching problem there is.

I like your use of "might" here. It lets you say a thing without actually committing to it.

Its very easy to prove both ways using real life situations. I own my systemz!! And my own example. It won't get you anywhere because that's not the exact same situation as the one we are talking about.

What an odd thing to say - the matter of ownership of systems (and what one does with them) is exactly the situation we are talking about.

I don't think Sony is attacking Geohotz because of him hacking his console, because that's stupid. You are allowed to do whatever you want with your property, even the PS3, even according to the TOS.

so they are suing him for freely telling people on the internet the code?

how is that any different than a book or movie being released and going on the internet and teling people the ending?

"oh hey dumbledore dies at the end of book 6"

boom is that irrevicable damage to the sales of the book.  is everyone going to not buy the book now cause they know the ending?  oh hey they destroy the ring in lord of the rings.  Vader is Lukes father in star wars.  

Man i am ruining the book industry in one paragraph.  all these poor book publishers are going to all go broke.

I am not doing anything illegal, if i were giving out free PDF's or something of that nature of the entire book for free, or even for profit, that is another story.

This guy is doing nothign wrong.  he messed around on his OWN property, did nothing illegal.  I hear of no burnt illegal game copy's.  hell the only game i have heard at all is mario, so if anyone has a right to sue it is nintendo.  

Around the Network

I don't care if he wants to hack his PS3 and put linux on it, it's not my problem. But, whenever he posts how to hack online so all the hackers can pirate games and cheat on line, then it's my problem. I still want to see great games like Shadow of the Colossus and Uncharted being made, but if people are downloading them all the time, then I might as well say goodbye. He had no reason to post the root key online other than to look cool. It's like when  a murderer commits the most eleborate murder ever and tells everyone about it because he wants to be known (I'm thinking of the book, And then there Were None).

Khuutra said:
naruball said:
Khuutra said:

You have no idea how popular the Wii homebrew scene is, do you

Even when it has nothing to do with piracy

Correct me if I'm wrong (cuz I really don't know for sure), but do Wii hackers affect other people's online experince? Can they delete your saves or mess with you when you play online? I have a wii but I only play games offline. Also many  Wii games sell really well despite piracy since many (not most) Wii owner are quite young and do not know how to hack their consoles. I've seen a lot of shovelware or mediocre games sell a lot on wii (not as much as the good wii games), but not on 360. For example Dante's inferno, a mediocre game according to most reviewers, did not sell well at all but was the most pirated 360 game in 2010. So I guess the Wii homebrew does not affect gamers/developers the same way the 360/ps3 does.

Yes, they can do terrible cheating things, and no, it doesn't matter. Cheating is wrong, piracy is wrong, but modifying your console is not wrong.

Well the sad thing about it is the majority of people using homebrew are pirating games and cheating online. So how can you say modding your Consol is ok but pirating is wrong when the main reason people mod there consols is to pirate. You can justify it any way you like, spin things around to make geohut seem like a hero and defend his actions to the death.

Fact is the PS3s security has been compromised by Geohut and the PS3s future is on a shady path. Sony has every right to bring the people responsable to court in order to protect there future and the experiance of the legitimate gamer who purchased a PS3 to play Video games online/offline and watch blu ray movies/dvds.

They just want a legitimate experiance to wind down to after a long days work without having to worry about the bad things homebrew brings to a consol. It doesn't matter if Geohut doesn't do the bad. Him and others being sued are the source of the problem.

Heres some logic for you. If you want to stop drugs hitting the streets then you need to focus on the people bringing the drugs into the country.The source of the whole thing. Locking up the drug dealers won't do a dam thing because there'll be other people lining up to take there places. Now these drug dealers sell to kids, pregnant women and they destroy peoples lives. Are you telling me because its the drug dealers destroying peoples lifes that the people who are bringing the drugs into the country are innocent?? Hell no they ain't. Think about it

Ail said:
damndl0ser said:
Xen said:
Khuutra said:
Xen said:
Khuutra said:
axumblade said:

Is anyone really surprised? He's obviously not liked on most gaming industry or in the forums (especially VGChartz, a site that's dedicated to sales). BUT in the world of pirates, he's considered a hero.

Again: he's also legally in the right, here. It's one thing to be a pirate, it's another thing to be someone who wants to take the piss out of Sony, it's quite another to be someone who wants the law to be upheld instead of corporations being able to bully people down.

What are Sony's charges against him?

All right, let me think

I'm going to guess

They're suing him on a civil level because he broke the security on the PS3?

They are *probably* suing him on breaking copyright laws, and he did that, for fact. I just fail to see how is he legally on the right here, sorry.

The Eula that Sony makes you sign is as useful as a piece of toilet paper with shit on it.  The only thing its good for is flushing down the toilet.

As far as I know there has never been a Eula that stood the test of court.  And most companies use them to bully people who have no money into doing what they want.   Most of the time this works but when it goes to court it always fails.  Sony is just trying to make this guy a scape goat and to try and make the next hacker out there re-think what they are doing.  Which will never happen, hackers will be hackers and they give 2 shits about making money off their efforts or what it costs them in the long run.

My thoughts on the matter is this.  I hate any hacker that ruins my fucking experience, they are useless assholes who need to burn in hell (ban them all and through away the key).  For the other "real hackers" you know the kind that do home brew or do linux etc....  more power too you.  You should have every right in the world to turn your PS3 into whatever kind of entertainment hub that you want too without any fear from big brother coming to smash your head in.  I hope Geohot wins just because it will set a precident for Sony and any other big company to take even more draconian actions against us.   

The biggest problem I have is that Sony is basically throughing the Homebrew, Linux and "Real Hackers" in with the pirates and game modders.  Just because you do homebrew or put linux on your ps3 shouldn't give Sony the right to ban you from playing on PSN unless your running modded/pirated software.

PSN is a free service, Sony has every right to cut that service to someone whenever they feel like it.

Just because it is free....

Because you had access to someone free for some amount time doesn't mean you get guaranteed free access your whole life time..

Your wrong my friend. 

When you purchase any PS3 that service is given to you for your purchase.  So you are actually purchasing the right to play on PSN when you buy your PS3.  If you read what I said, I don't want anyone who mods games or pirates them to have access to PSN.  Only those who use the hack for what I consider lagitemate uses.  (Homebrew, Entertainment Hub, Linux etc....)....

"If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow."

Quote by- The Imortal John Wayne, the original BADASS!

The worse that will come out of this is that if he somehow he wins, next gen every game will be online enabled with constant DRM checking with an online server to check that the game was purchased through legal means....

That or some other feature that half the people saying they support the dude will bitch about...

Personally I don't care if this leads to stricter DRM, still I want the dude to loose....

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Ail said:

The worse that will come out of this is that if he somehow he wins, next gen every game will be online enabled with constant DRM checking with an online server to check that the game was purchased through legal means....

That or some other feature that half the people saying they support the dude will bitch about...

Personally I don't care if this leads to stricter DRM, still I want the dude to loose....

100% agreed and trade in prices for games will be useless, Platstation network will be a subscription fee and features like OtherOS will never be included in a home consol again.