By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS3 Hacker Raised All the Legal Funds Needed to Beat Sony in a Weekend

Fail investment.

Around the Network
tensen1212 said:

I just want to know what would happen if Geohot hacked the wii and the Xbox 360? and why he hasn't hacked either of them as well.

my thoughts exactly!

it may be personal, or that he hates/loves Sony that much?

He's souch a douche. This is destroying the gaming industry.

NYANKS said:
geddesmond2 said:

It just goes to show the amount of hate people have for Sony. Lol and people say PS3 fanboys exagerate all this stuff like unfair reviews and what not. The dude raised over 30k in one weekend. Nobodys gonna donate money to somebody like this without having hate for the people they are against.

Has nothing to do with hating Sony personally.  I'll be damned if a quarter of the people who donated don't even understand the topic completely, at least.  They just want to support pirating or the "little guy."  And I thought the article says he didn't specify money.

He didn't specify money but in a previous blog he said he just raised 10k and that he could now afford 1 more lawyer. He also said that he has 2 lawyers while Sony has 5 and he wants to raise money to even the playing field. So if he needs 3 lawyers to make it all even and 1 lawyer costs 10k then he must have raised 30k.

Also I wouldn't say the people who pirate are the giving type and if it is true that he doesn't condone piracy and his hack had nothing to do with piracy then I don't see why any pirates would want to help the dude out.

geddesmond2 said:

It just goes to show the amount of hate people have for Sony. Lol and people say PS3 fanboys exagerate all this stuff like unfair reviews and what not. The dude raised over 30k in one weekend. Nobodys gonna donate money to somebody like this without having hate for the people they are against.

yea.

i got a question for everybody posting. would any of the people that donated to this george hotz guy donate to any independent developer making the games the want for free?

Around the Network

While I get irritated at what his hacking has allowed on the PS3 and overall Pirating in general, I am 100% behind him in this battle.

When you purchase any product, that product is yours. If you choose to set it on fire you can. If you choose to paint it pink with yellow dots, you can. If you choose to completely re-purpose the product via its software, you fucking can. Its yours.

Its the same argument I have against the smart phone industry. I shouldn't have to break my warranty by rooting my Android phone just to remove all the horrible bloat ware Verizon pushes on the device. The company has a right to preinstall whatever the fuck they want, but I should not be forced to use it and have every right to remove it so I can have the device operate the way I want it to. If I go buy a Dell PC and take it home, I can relatively easily remove any preinstalled software. However, I can't on my phone?

For some reason companies have moved into a setup where they think they have the legal right to force their consumers to use a device only the way they decide. That's BS and that's why I support Geohot is this court case.

I want this precedent set so we the consumer will actually own our products again.

routsounmanman said:

He's wrong; the company you purchase your goods from binds you by a contract, a "Terms of Use" that forbids you to hack the product. With using it, you agree to abide by it.

lol. Those aren't legally binding at all. 

Edit: and do we really need a second one of these? http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=124837&page=1

Sig thanks to Saber! :D 

Slimebeast said:

He's souch a douche. This is destroying the gaming industry.

Regardless of the ultimate effect here, what Geohot does is not wrong or illegal, and the EULA is not legally enforcible.

He's stated his intentions very clearly.

Like him or not, believe him or not; as you will.

He's still in the right.

By the way, when is this court case going to happen? I've been hearing about this forever and it has yet to happen.

tensen1212 said:

I just want to know what would happen if Geohot hacked the wii and the Xbox 360? and why he hasn't hacked either of them as well.

Thats a simple one. He hacked the PS3 because people said it couldn't be hacked. Hes like every other hacker out there. Only in it for the recoqnition and glory. Which is why he has all these people fooled with the "doing it for your rights" Excuse he keeps spitting.