By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why a 6-10 hour game is sufficient

For me, a game's length is all but irrelevant. All I want is for the game to be as long as it needs to be. I expect it to take as long as it requires to deliver its message and promptly end; a game that overstays its welcome is far more annoying than a short and concise one.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
darthdevidem01 said:

Definitely for certain genre's. Not for all.

Nowadays thanks to online those 6-10 hours become so much more.

True, but I think that may be a part of some people's complaints - because of such a strong focus on getting the online right, certain games suffered for it this gen. 

We'll never know how much they have suffered though, but when they get online right like in Uncharted 2 it seems like some sacrifices are worth it. 

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

darthdevidem01 said:
Khuutra said:

In that case they didn't have the same replay value in the first place.

There is not some universal law being changed here; replay value is still replay value. If games you play have less replay value than ones you used to, that's one thing, but replay value is not a value that "gets old" in and of itself.

Hey Khuutra you missed 5 other posts in this thread where at least 1 word was grammatically incorrect or not used in the right place. Go and correct those too!

Hey darth, that's not what I'm doing. I'm arguing the point about the continued validity of replay value as justification for disparity of content (though not disparity of content density). If this was about petty grammatical or semantic bullshit, I wouldn't bother. A point is being made here.

Khuutra said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Khuutra said:

In that case they didn't have the same replay value in the first place.

There is not some universal law being changed here; replay value is still replay value. If games you play have less replay value than ones you used to, that's one thing, but replay value is not a value that "gets old" in and of itself.

Hey Khuutra you missed 5 other posts in this thread where at least 1 word was grammatically incorrect or not used in the right place. Go and correct those too!

Hey darth, that's not what I'm doing. I'm arguing the point about the continued validity of replay value as justification for disparity of content (though not disparity of content density). If this was about petty grammatical or semantic bullshit, I wouldn't bother. A point is being made here.

I am going to file that under, "Not an issue".

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

CGI-Quality said:

The author makes excellent points. Seems people have to remember that past games weren't much longer than many games of today, there were just different circutmstances to playing and beating a game. 

The word after different should be circumstances.

I just wanted to correct this.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Around the Network

So yeah, games should be as long as they need to be.  Some games can be well done at five hours, but some wouldn't feel right under twenty.  It all depends on the game.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

amp316 said:

I agree.  No concept is gripping enough to last longer than twelve hours.

This is why most good half hour television shows are cancelled after twenty four episodes.  They just aren't interesting anymore. 

No Naruto fan would say that :P (though a lot of anime afficionados hold that viewpoint "if it's more than 26 episodes, it sucks")

Though on topic, it depends, obviously. We can make a case for good long games with a lot of meat and opportunities in them (i'm currently eagerly replaying the ~50 hour Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn for the third time), but there are long games that only get that way by being grindfests, and there are all too many games that have these throwaway single-player modes (many FPS/TPS games) that barely clock in at 6 hours sometimes, but then you can have games that are shorter still, like StarFox, that make for solid experiences

You can't quantify your enjoyment in terms of hours, content is king.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

I think 6-10 hour games are enough if the experience is a great experience like god of war or no more heroes but of course there are exceptions like if you are a rpg gamer a 10 hour game is not going to cut it. Then there is the financial problem as if you can only afford a game every 2-3 months you will go for the one you can get the most hours, so if you see no more heroes in a shelf and monster hunter tri while both games are great in their own right MHT is a 100 hour experience that doesnt get old so you will most likely  buy that if your wallet is empty. The last point to take in consideration is if you are a working person as your gaming time shrinks and no matter how much you would like to play monster hunter its just too big so you will go with a shorter experience but one you will have time to experience completely.

@CGI

For me there is a massive difference between a 6hour game and a 10hour game. Also, the experience of the game itself needs to be taken into account as well as how one plays the game. So, I do (in general) agree with the OP and here are some specific cases that illustrate why:

Metal Gear Solid on the PS1. My favourite game of all time until Metroid Prime came out. I could have rushed through it and clocked it in 8.5hours or so, but that wasn't an appealing thought. I took my time, had fun exploring the areas and the different gadgets and soaked in the atmosphere and story. First time it took near 13 hours, and I played it through again 4 times! That's pretty amazing since I've only completed a handful of games twice.

God of War. Well, we have to ignore GoW2 since it was a lot longer than the other two. They were (especially GoW3) truly mind blowing games with sooo much appeal. I've finished GoW3 twice and sat through it while someone else plays 3 times.

That said, some games have SUPER lame single player modes, and anything under 10 hours needs to be pretty spectacular to warrant a purchase from me.

All in all - agreed.

mantlepiecek said:
CGI-Quality said:
mantlepiecek said:

I thought you wrote it at first.

My opinion? Depending upon the genre, and the amount of win in the game, the game can be short I will still like it. Like Uncharted 2, which was short for my taste, because it was so brilliant, I had to go and play it again, and I am still playing it.

But Heavy Rain disappointed me in its length. Its a story based game, so I would have liked it to be a bit longer. I can't obviously enjoy pressing the X O all the time....even though there were different endings, it just wasn't that much of worth to spend 5 hours in.

Although for trophies and stuff I replayed it 2 1/2 times...

RPGs have a lot of dialogues and stuff so they have to be a bit longer, like 30 hours. I was pleased with both Demon's Souls(30 hours) and DA Origins(85 hours for me) length.

You beat HR in 5 hrs? O.o

If so, that's a record.

A lot of the game time is spent on walking around, on the ari and stuff, so I might have felt the game length a bit short than what it is.

Take KZ 2 for eg. It shows I clocked in 14 hours in its campaign, but it felt more like 10 hours because of restarting a checkpoint for dying and stuff. Still, for a fps, its very good length imo.

I beat KZ2 in 5 hours and I still died a couple of times....