By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why a 6-10 hour game is sufficient

I agree.  No concept is gripping enough to last longer than twelve hours.

This is why most good half hour television shows are cancelled after twenty four episodes.  They just aren't interesting anymore. 

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Around the Network
Wagram said:

I disagree with this article. I don't think I get what I pay for when I buy a game that lasts only a few hours. This isn't a movie, this is a game. I can go to the movies for 6 bucks and watch a 2 hour movie. I pay 65 US dollars for a 6-10 hour game? That isn't right.

^

And replay value gets reaaaaaal old fast now, which is why many games are trying to ad MP. They don't make replayab;e games like they used too...

19:44:34 Skeezer METAL GEAR ONLINE
19:44:36 Skeezer FAILURE
19:44:51 ABadClown You're right!
19:44:55 ABadClown Hur hur hur
19:45:01 Skeezer i meant
19:45:04 Skeezer YOU ARE A FAILKURE
19:45:08 Skeezer FAILURE*
A Bad Clown said:
Wagram said:

I disagree with this article. I don't think I get what I pay for when I buy a game that lasts only a few hours. This isn't a movie, this is a game. I can go to the movies for 6 bucks and watch a 2 hour movie. I pay 65 US dollars for a 6-10 hour game? That isn't right.

^

And replay value gets reaaaaaal old fast now, which is why many games are trying to ad MP. They don't make replayab;e games like they used too...

Replay value doens't get old

That's what replay value means.

If playing through a game more than once isn't fun, it doesn't have replay value.

Khuutra said:
A Bad Clown said:
Wagram said:

^

If playing through a game more than once isn't fun, it doesn't have replay value.

I think he means games lose their replay value faster now than they used to, which I agree with.

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

CGI-Quality said:
mantlepiecek said:

I thought you wrote it at first.

My opinion? Depending upon the genre, and the amount of win in the game, the game can be short I will still like it. Like Uncharted 2, which was short for my taste, because it was so brilliant, I had to go and play it again, and I am still playing it.

But Heavy Rain disappointed me in its length. Its a story based game, so I would have liked it to be a bit longer. I can't obviously enjoy pressing the X O all the time....even though there were different endings, it just wasn't that much of worth to spend 5 hours in.

Although for trophies and stuff I replayed it 2 1/2 times...

RPGs have a lot of dialogues and stuff so they have to be a bit longer, like 30 hours. I was pleased with both Demon's Souls(30 hours) and DA Origins(85 hours for me) length.

You beat HR in 5 hrs? O.o

If so, that's a record.

A lot of the game time is spent on walking around, on the ari and stuff, so I might have felt the game length a bit short than what it is.

Take KZ 2 for eg. It shows I clocked in 14 hours in its campaign, but it felt more like 10 hours because of restarting a checkpoint for dying and stuff. Still, for a fps, its very good length imo.

Around the Network
Ajescent said:
Khuutra said:

I think he means games lose their replay value faster now than they used to, which I agree with.

In that case they didn't have the same replay value in the first place.

There is not some universal law being changed here; replay value is still replay value. If games you play have less replay value than ones you used to, that's one thing, but replay value is not a value that "gets old" in and of itself.

CGI-Quality said:
Ajescent said:

Disagree whole heartedly

1: Movies and Games aren't the same things, if we're gonna compare them together, we might as well throw in books as well.

Ironically, he did throw in books!

I was speaking in terms of how long it takes to read a book and if that should be taken into consideration when judging how much you have to pay for it. I should have explained that.

He mentions about books lasting 10k pages but in a different context.

I believe if I'm getting "less" for my money then I demand a cut down starting price.  Whilst yes it's impossible for anything to be "awesome" 100% of the time I argue it's the down times that make the upbeat times more awesome .

e.g I love the fights in ff13 but because they were so frequent, it was easier to see the flaws and make it overbearing.

In contrast, I love the fights in Star ocean but because they are always disrupted by towns, quests and storylines, when I get back to them, I find them less grating as a result more enjoyable.

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Definitely for certain genre's. Not for all.

Nowadays thanks to online those 6-10 hours become so much more.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

This article has quite a few fallacies. I'll look at them by point-

1. Part of what you pay for in the theater is the atmosphere and the new-run aspect. Remove either of those, and the price drops dramatically. I know of a second-run theater where that hour and a half movie ticket is $2, and I could buy a 6 hour series of anime for $11. Even on a budget repriced game of $20, 10 hours falls into the low spectrum, let alone for a $50-60 game. And has been mentioned by other posters, there is the density of entertainment value, which for a game, is lower than a movie or a book. So for sheer quantity of entertainment, more time is needed just to balance that out.

2. If it's good, yes, I do remember them. I spent about 100 hours on both Personas 3 and 4, and I wish both were longer; they were just that riveting. How about the DQVC and weekly quests from DQ9? 380 hours, and still going! These are the games that feel like the drive the value, that we, the consumer, are cared about. A game that's over in 6-10 hours might also be memorable, but not as much as the 6 hours of yore. And that brings me to...

3. Why do we replay games from our past, but not newer ones? It's not because they're short, it's because they were good then, and are still good. New games may be good, but they don't leave as well of a lasting impression- they miss that certain charm that the older games had. And why did we play the older games so much? Because they were harder. They forced us to work through the game, to replay it continuously to master the game. If we wanted to beat it, we had to spend a lot of time on it, learning the intricacies of the game. Today's games are mostly cakewalks- run through the game, finish it in 6 hours, and not notice a good chunk of what was there. If I were to say Super Mario Bros's world 2-2, most people here know what world that is, and a fair number can even tell you which world was most similar to it. But the second board in a modern game? Most people won't remember much about it...

Sure, I'd take a shorter game- IF it felt to be worth it. But if I'm blowing through the game, and there's no real incentive to play again (sorry, gamer points or trophies don't count), then it's not worth the price for a short time. I expect to be entertained for a while by a game; while I'd love the replay to also be high, if I feel I get enough enjoyment time out of it, it'll be worth it.

-dunno001

-On a quest for the truly perfect game; I don't think it exists...

Khuutra said:
Ajescent said:
Khuutra said:

In that case they didn't have the same replay value in the first place.

There is not some universal law being changed here; replay value is still replay value. If games you play have less replay value than ones you used to, that's one thing, but replay value is not a value that "gets old" in and of itself.

Hey Khuutra you missed 5 other posts in this thread where at least 1 word was grammatically incorrect or not used in the right place. Go and correct those too!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey