By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will your favourite game of all time ever be topped?

Super Mario Galaxy 2 is my favorite game of all time, toppling Super Mario World.  I've always wondered how nintendo can top Galaxy 2 in their next Super Mario entry.  Nintendo would have to create a game on a smaller scale ala 64 and sunshine. I have no idea if it is possible.  

In terms of future titles, perhaps a future Pikmin game, borderlands 2, Monter Hunter 4.  Really any game that has amazing gameplay, fun factor, and captures me at the right moment has a shot. 

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:

Regularly. For me a new experience is almost always preferable over replaying an old game/movie. Not knowing what's going to happen is the most fun and can unfortunately only be experienced once.

If I could wipe my memory I would first watch princess mononoke and spirited away again then play ico and sotc followed by grim fandango, windwaker and start a new character in everquest.

I'll still replay ico and sotc when the HD remake comes out, same as I also rebuy HD releases of my favourite movies, but it never beats the first experience.

The best games for me are the ones I want to play as slow as possible, dreading the moment I'll reach the end credits. The last game that did that for me was Okami. Thankfully that was a pretty long game.

I'm hoping The last guardian will be able to take the crown.

I wish I could be like this. I'm always tempted to re-play my favourite games and re-watch my favourite movies when I've got a lot of time and nothing to do. I must have completed Crash Bandicoot 3 about 10 times now.

MGS4!!

And yes of course it will be topped, within the next year or two, can't say which game though.

GTA San Andreas was my top game before this gen began by quite a distance, I fully expected GTA4 to top it without much doubt but that ended in shambles, however a mere 2 months later MGS4 topped it instead. So things can be unexpected.

I never feel much if at all any nostalgia towards things, try as I might I can find no special attachment to games I played and loved 10 years ago over a game I played and loved 1 month ago. Almost every new game seems to feel fresh for some reason, but I love it this way.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Hmm my favourite game would probably be either Ocarina of Time or Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty. I love them both but Zelda will never be topped for me due to nostalgic reasons, Starcraft II might, you never know ;)

It'll be hard to top the original NES Legend of Zelda for me as my favorite game overall.

Super Mario 64 may not be one of my very favorite games, but topping its initial "wow" factor won't likely happen for me until interactive holograms are introduced.

Strictly this gen though, it's the original Bioshock for me, as it just has so much imagination (the sequel paled in comparison), with Bioshock Infinite as the only game announced so far that might dethrone it.

Around the Network

Sonic & Knuckles is my favorite game of all time, and to be honest I really don't see it being dethroned any time soon. Don't get me wrong, I've played some incredible games as of late, but Sonic & Knuckles means a lot to me. The gameplay is pitch perfect, the music is still some of the best in gaming, its 16-bit graphics look as great as ever (I love how the 16-bit era has held up so wonderfully), and that's just the start of it.

Still, I have to say that newer games like Super Mario Galaxy 2 have trumped even the best of my expectations, surpassing games I thought wouldn't be surpassed like Super Mario World and Sonic the Hedgehog 2. It's an incredible game for sure.

Nope i don't see anything even remotly close to the sheer awesomness of Tie Fighter - not with todays trends of dumbing down games to fit them for console controls.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

My favorite game is always changing, thats because my expectations are changing.

MSG4

and i don't think will be topped this gen, maybe next gen with snake back in business

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4

Only infamous 2 can top infamous for me. I hope it will be done.