By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will your favourite game of all time ever be topped?

Wagram said:

Final Fantasy VIII

Interesting, I always thought that was the one people said was crap compared to 7 and 9.

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

Around the Network
Baalzamon said:
Wagram said:

Final Fantasy VIII

Interesting, I always thought that was the one people said was crap compared to 7 and 9.

Generally in my experience I have always seen 7 > 8 > 9 in the overall public view but idc they are all good games, but 8 is my fav game ever.

It's about to, Guild Wars 2 isn't that far off!

In all seriousness, I have a hard time having favorite games for long, simply because they diminish over time after I've played them, and it's not so much the games themselves, but rather qualities in them that I look for. Games like Heavy Rain and Mass Effect 2 are at the top of my favorites list right now, mainly because of they do well. Bending stories to make them fit your experience, and being very exciting and gripping at the same time.

The next game that will come out and challenge for that position will be L.A. Noire (with the investigation gameplay) and following it will be either Guild Wars 2, Mass Effect 3 or Uncharted 3. I don't know which one will come first, but fortunately the focus on story in the game industry is big at the moment and means my favorite games don't take many years to get pushed down slowly.

Wagram said:
Baalzamon said:
Wagram said:

Final Fantasy VIII

Generally in my experience I have always seen 7 > 8 > 9 in the overall public view but idc they are all good games, but 8 is my fav game ever.

Well, I'll be playing them 9, then 7, then 8 once I get it, so hopefully that means I'm saving the best for last :D

Rainbird said:

In all seriousness, I have a hard time having favorite games for long, simply because they diminish over time after I've played them, and it's not so much the games themselves, but rather qualities in them that I look for. Games like Heavy Rain and Mass Effect 2 are at the top of my favorites list right now, mainly because of they do well. Bending stories to make them fit your experience, and being very exciting and gripping at the same time.

The next game that will come out and challenge for that position will be L.A. Noire (with the investigation gameplay) and following it will be either Guild Wars 2, Mass Effect 3 or Uncharted 3. I don't know which one will come first, but fortunately the focus on story in the game industry is big at the moment and means my favorite games don't take many years to get pushed down slowly.

I like how you know out that your next favorite game will be from a choice of 3 games, lol.

Around the Network
Baalzamon said:
Rainbird said:

I like how you know out that your next favorite game will be from a choice of 3 games, lol.

What can I say, I know my preferences, and there's a good chance that at least one of those will shoot to the top of my list.

Rainbird said:
Baalzamon said:
Rainbird said:

What can I say, I know my preferences, and there's a good chance that at least one of those will shoot to the top of my list.

I haven't played enough titles to know my preferences :( ...the benefit of that, though, is I'll buy some random game and it happens to be my favorite game ever.

On topic though, either Starfox 64 or Donkey Kong 64 still mean a lot to me today just because they were so unique to me at the time.

I'm not exactly sure what my favorite game is, but I'll go with Diablo 2.

Wait for Diablo 3 to release and you'll get the answer.

"And yet, I've realized that maybe living a "decent" life means you won't ever have a "good" life."

Baalzamon said:
Rainbird said:

I haven't played enough titles to know my preferences :( ...the benefit of that, though, is I'll buy some random game and it happens to be my favorite game ever.

On topic though, either Starfox 64 or Donkey Kong 64 still mean a lot to me today just because they were so unique to me at the time.

If you don't know already, it'll come. It'll let you see what games are worth avoiding, which is nice if you're on a tight budget.

Chrono Trigger

i do not believe this game will ever be tipped away from my favorite spot.

my Runner up games are: Suikoden 1 and 2, Final Fantasy 6 and 9, Breath of Fire 2 and Lufia 2 not to mention almost all the Dragon Quest games.

all these games are what i consider the best ever made, games might get close last time a game got close to/entered this category for me was Dragon Quest 8, i did not enjoy the 9th installment so much because it lacked interesting characters IMO.