By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will your favourite game of all time ever be topped?

I'm sure many of you have played one or two games that made you feel you were playing through perfection. A game that was so suited to you that it felt like it was made by a bunch of people inside your brain for your complete enjoyment. Have you had that experience yet?

Have you had that empty feeling yet where it feels like you're spiralling into depression either (a) in the months following your completion of the game, (b) after playing the game's sequel and realising how good the game before it was or after desperately searching for a similar experience and failing several times?

If your answer to any of these is 'yes', my bet is that you think you have reached the height of gaming pleasure and no other game experience past, present or future will ever match that. Well, that's how I feel anyway.

1. What's your favourite game(s) of all time?

2. Do you think it/they can be topped and why?

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:

I'm thinking it will be, but maybe not during this gen.

By Quantic Dream?

1. Deus Ex

2. Deus Ex Human Revolution stands an slim outside possibility, but basically no game managed to merge FPS and RPG so well. In an era of ridiculously high budgets and where developers are thinking more and more about the mainstream audience, I find it unlikely a game will have the depth, diversity and brilliance of the original Deus Ex.

Nah probably not. The game just came at a perfect time in my gaming life and nostalgia will prevent anything from beating it.

Well, I have like four (I'm quite fickle) so, out of those, one will be topped (as long as it has a sequel), two might be topped and the last'll probably stay there till eternity.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

Around the Network

nothing tops tales of symphonia! ever.

It is always possible, but I am very skeptical of it happening this gen.

1. Persona 4

2. No - well not from this gen anyway. The only type of game I reckon could top it for me would be another story-driven JRPG and this gen has been pretty bad for that IMO. Maybe Persona 5 will be just as fresh and exciting as P4, or maybe I should look back to Persona 3...

Mario 64

No it will never be topped for me. The reason for this is because at the time of its release no other game even came close to it it terms of graphics, gameplay, innovation and fun factor. These days even if a game comes along that MIGHT actually be better than Mario 64 it simply has too much competition to stand out the way Mario 64 stood out in it's day. For example, I think Halo Reach might be the best game ever, but there are so many great shooters out right now that it makes it hard to appreciate just one over all of the others.

An honourable mention goes to Red Alert 2. For me it was the perfect RTS, and no other RTS since has felt as right to me.

Final Fantasy VIII