By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Pirates, admit you're thieves

I don't pirate games and disagree with those that do, but effectively purchasing a second hand game might as well be pirating too as the developer does not see any of those moneys, and you are effectively making profit for the gamestation or wherever you purchase the second hand game, but that's just my opinion. I am not against purchasing used games, as even I do that sometimes, but I disagree with those that feel it their birthright to experience a game they are not able to afford but willing to pirate, it is theft. There is nothing more to it really.

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

Around the Network

I don't pirate games, and I think you should pay if you want to play.

But it's retarded to call that theft. Theft = taking something physical. Pirating games = copyrights infringement.

For those still can't understand,

i will laugh when an pirate loses his job because of piracy 

Of Course That's Just My Opinion, I Could Be Wrong

I've never bought the file sharing justification, even quite a few years ago where it at least involved some knowledge or at least a lot of patience. Maybe not gross commercial, but copyright infringement still.

Obviously not theft, at least not legally, but I think it comes pretty close morally. Don't think admitting that and making excuses are mutually exclusive though, they actually go together pretty well.

Around the Network
Galaki said:

QFT. I can totally see why people don't like piracy but not liking something doesn't make it any worse than it actually is. If I hit A, does it mean I tried to kill A? No, most likely not. They are both wrong but they aren't the same thing.

Nomad Blue said:
Silver-Tiger said:

No, pirating is NOT stealing:

I do not condone piracy, but this whole "Piracy is thief!" is getting on my nerves.

Why isn't it theft?  Is it theft if you walk out of a shop with some CDs/DVDs/Video games that you haven't paid for?

Because when you pirate a game, the retailer will still be able to sell the game and make some money. When you steal a game, the retailer will NOT be able to sell it anymore.

Zkuq said:
Galaki said:

QFT. I can totally see why people don't like piracy but not liking something doesn't make it any worse than it actually is. If I hit A, does it mean I tried to kill A? No, most likely not. They are both wrong but they aren't the same thing.

Nomad Blue said:
Silver-Tiger said:

No, pirating is NOT stealing:

I do not condone piracy, but this whole "Piracy is thief!" is getting on my nerves.

Why isn't it theft?  Is it theft if you walk out of a shop with some CDs/DVDs/Video games that you haven't paid for?

Because when you pirate a game, the retailer will still be able to sell the game and make some money. When you steal a game, the retailer will NOT be able to sell it anymore.

The retailer then gets a smaller audience to sell to, if people know they can get it for free it make it a lot harder for retailers to sell the game, heck they might not even sell it, at the end of the day it is stealing, you have a developers product and you havnt paid for it

phinch1 said:

The retailer then gets a smaller audience to sell to, if people know they can get it for free it make it a lot harder for retailers to sell the game, heck they might not even sell it, at the end of the day it is stealing, you have a developers product and you havnt paid for it

A download does not equate a sale. Remember that.

But it's exactly what the corps are trying to tell you and many eat it up.

I don't agree with piracy=theft.

Because thieving involves stealing something that is owned by someone else.

In this case that someone else loses his property, which is why its harmful.

However in piracy, developers don't lose a "property", only the end user gains it.

Its very different and should not be compared as a similar crime. 

Yes, piracy is bad, no doubt, but the effect it has on industry is very minimal and developers know this. Only people who can't afford buying new games or don't have the intention of buying it, pirate it.

They would almost never buy it if they couldn't pirate it.

I'm a pirate.

I actually travel the high seas stealing from people who have bought legitimate games.

Oh yeh and I download everything I can't steal.