By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Pirates, admit you're thieves

Nobody's going to get guilted into stopping pirating, even if it kills the industry in the long run.  As long as people can get something for free and the risk is acceptable, they will do it because it is human nature.

Only thing that can be done is to remove the incentive to pirate by either making the risk unacceptable (console/online banning) or making features worth paying for (steam, secure servers).

Around the Network
Wagram said:
Snesboy said:

Yes. I'm a fucking pirate.

There was no way I was gonna pay money for a sloppy PC port of RE4 when I already owned all the other versions of the game.

There was no way I was going to pay money for GTA III on PC when I already own it on Xbox.

Yes, I pirate stuff. Get over it.

I think you missed the point of the video. He isn't bitching that people pirate mainly. He's bitching that people make excuses like that. It doesn't matter if it is sloppy or you already own multiple copies. Stealing is stealing and it is that simple. Note i'm not judging you i'm just saying. I have pirated before too but i'm not going to make excuses for myself.

I pirate music, because the RIAA sucks ass and the artists barely make a cent off the sales anyways. If you want to support the artists and make them money, see them in concert like I do.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

I have a SNES, NES, GENESIS and 32x emulator. I know, "you bastard thats what WiiWare is for" well some of those games arent on WiiWare so whats a guy to do. Pay those insane Ebay prices???

oniyide said:

I have a SNES, NES, GENESIS and 32x emulator. I know, "you bastard thats what WiiWare is for" well some of those games arent on WiiWare so whats a guy to do. Pay those insane Ebay prices???

To this day i don't understand why anyone would even play those games. I understand maybe one or two games. But not libraries of games from the old days. Thats just cwwaaaazy. 

youarebadatgames said:

Only thing that can be done is to remove the incentive to pirate by either making the risk unacceptable (console/online banning) or making features worth paying for (steam, secure servers).

The funny thing is, Steam is one of the greatest reasons why I might be hesitant about buying a game. Steam is OK for digital but for retail, I can't stand it.

Around the Network
Lionlicious said:
Carl2291 said:

By the way. Anyone make out the music in the background? I recognise it but... It escapes me.

It's the boss battle theme from the first Donkey Kong Country game.

Did he pay for the music?

yes i pirate. i dont care if its unethical or damaging. i dont defend it. i just state my reasons for pirating. if i have extra cash to throw at something  then i will. if i dont have the money ill pirate it. its very easy to get away with. like the other said, if i can get away with something that i want to do,then by all means i will do so. there are a few select individuals i would end if i could get away with it scott free. call me unmoral, evil, or what have you. i genuinely do not care. personally i hope the industry collapses entirely then starts over. then again i also wish the whole planet would be devastated whether i survive or not does not matter.

keep in mind im not really a hateful individual, im not depressed, or live a bad life. im not lonely or the product of a broken home.

It's either buy a game or buy something to wipe my ass with.

I'm a pretty staunch opponent of piracy (save anime fansubs, for obvious reasons), but equating it to theft is being incredibly disingenuous towards the distinct nature of each action.

2 australians have created an program that tracks priacy and discovered while millions download only around 100 upload. They are being funded by village roadshow to hunt down the 100 uploaders 

good luck to them. i am sure most of them would be using mutliple proxy sites and public computers 

Of Course That's Just My Opinion, I Could Be Wrong