By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Diablo III coming to consoles?

TX109 said:
ssj12 said:
TX109 said:
ssj12 said:
qmoney88 said:
ssj12 said:

2. I remember a certain console starting selling at a lose at $599.99. For $599 you can build a decent PC. Just stick with AMD.

3. Other then the bad port, PC games normally aren't very glitchy at all. No worse then the best console game, but most of the time better.

cmon man, can you really use that argument for number 2?  While 599 can net you a fairly decent setup (and by decent I mean Barely) that doesnt negate the fact that now the same console is half that price and the games just keep getting better.  In order to see an improvement in software purchased for a pc, you must upgrade, something that developers do for you on consoles.  Tell me one game you can play on a $599  rig thats going to look as good as kz3, uc2 etc.  Now tell me one game that you can play on a $299 rig that can play any new major release period.  Fact is console gaming is much more convenient and less expensive for those who only purchase a handful of titles througout ownership of said console.  I happen to be fortunate enough to own a good gaming pc, 360, and ps3, but not everyone does and a $299 price tag is much more alluring then say a $1200 pc that allows you to play games with negligible amounts of increased fidelity. 

Furthermore, most people do not want to spend the time to learn the ins and outs of pc care and how to upgrade without screwing everything up.  Most times, there is much tweaking and adjusting settings that needs to be done in order to fully enjoy everything a game has to offer, not to mention picking up an hd monitor and the right accessories.  While the same could be said for consoles needing hdtv's, nowadays most individuals who own these systems already own an hdtv of some sort since they are fairly cheap compared to a few years ago and use them for other means in addition to their console(s).  Console gaming is the number one form of entertainment for one reason:  accessbility. 

1. a $1200 is far from ever needed and is for enthusiasts like me only. $400 - $600 for a PC is enough to run anything for the next 2 - 4 years without worrying about the latest graphics as you will be able to run Crysis 2 on high with a $600 PC. And a $300 PC, Crysis 1 easily on enthusiast which is better looking then KZ3 and UC2.

2. Everything but the processor and HDD are plug-in play. Even GPUs are... only high-end GPUs require additional power sources beyond what the PCIe x16 slot gives. And even then its a basic setup. Plus games now scan your system and auto-adjust the settings. Most of the time they autoset to low, but that's a good thing for people who don't want to mess with settings.

3. 1080p HDTVs still are not cheap, especially 3DTVs which is the new norm for PS3 games. For the cost of a good 3DTV console games accessories, you will easily dwarf the cost of my rig and purchase two more monitors with Nvidia's 3D vision glasses... and my rig is an enthusiast PC.

@bolded: I would honestly like to know where these numbers come from. everywhere i go for an estimate on a gaming PC tells me about $900-$1500, and that is a relatively low set-up according to them. i mean hell, my $1200 PC, which was bought brand new a year ago, has trouble running Oblivion let-alone Crysis on high.

http://www.geekcodex.com/?p=312

has this been done before? have you or a friend tried it? i suppose it is plausible. not exactly accesible, but plausible. though I remain skeptical about such a thing.

Its been done. Not by me, but Crytek and several users on the tech forums I used apparently have.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network

Please, keep Blizzards mediocrity off my consoles. The ugly covers are only going to strain my eyes every time I go game shopping and I'd like to avoid that little nuisance. 

Also, can the PC elititst in this thread calm down. Not everyone is as tech savvy and as patient as you guys. I spent $1000 on my PC setup just half a year ago and I can barely play Oblivion on it. I understand that I could have gotten a gaming PC for much cheaper, but that'd involve me reasearching the product, looking for the locations of said products and then either paying someone to build the PC for me or I'd have do it myself. I also don't like haveing  a high end experience one year and then two years past and I'm back to a middling performance scale again.

PC gaming can also be such a burden. I keep trying to get into it, but if a game isn't crashing on me, then it's something wrong with the save file or mouse support is completely broken. That then involves me scrounging through a dozen forums trying to find an answer to my problem and even if I do find an answer, it's a headache trying to get the patches to work at all. Steam is also a no go, because like many people, I have limited downloads every month and I can't waste it on games that are about 3 to 5 gig in size. 

Things like local multi-player are my jam and I can't do that with the vast majority of PC games and even if I could, my friends and family have no idea how to game on the PC. 

PC gaming is great for some of you guys, but for the vasy majority, it's far more effort than it's worth. 

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

Doobie_wop said:

Please, keep Blizzards mediocrity off my consoles. The ugly covers are only going to strain my eyes every time I go game shopping and I'd like to avoid that little nuisance. 

Also, can the PC elititst in this thread calm down. Not everyone is as tech savvy and as patient as you guys. I spent $1000 on my PC setup just half a year ago and I can barely play Oblivion on it. I understand that I could have gotten a gaming PC for much cheaper, but that'd involve me reasearching the product, looking for the locations of said products and then either paying someone to build the PC for me or I'd have do it myself. I also don't like haveing  a high end experience one year and then two years past and I'm back to a middling performance scale again.

PC gaming can also be such a burden. I keep trying to get into it, but if a game isn't crashing on me, then it's something wrong with the save file or mouse support is completely broken. That then involves me scrounging through a dozen forums trying to find an answer to my problem and even if I do find an answer, it's a headache trying to get the patches to work at all. Steam is also a no go, because like many people, I have limited downloads every month and I can't waste it on games that are about 3 to 5 gig in size. 

Things like local multi-player are my jam and I can't do that with the vast majority of PC games and even if I could, my friends and family have no idea how to game on the PC. 

PC gaming is great for some of you guys, but for the vasy majority, it's far more effort than it's worth. 

I bought a computer 2.5 years ago for $800 that runs Oblivion on max pretty easily. I'm also still playing every game I'm playing on the highest settings with no issues. Games rarely crash for me, haven't had any save file issues. Just kinda wanted to put that out there since you seemed to focus on the negatives of PC gaming.

Yes, you'd have to build it yourself or have a friend help you, but it's SO worth it. You can save sooo much money, so long as you're careful (understanding static electricty/grounding is VERY important). It's not very hard to do, but yes, it requires a little research. You want to make sure everything will work together, and that you don't have any 1 or 2 parts that are vastly superior to the rest of the machine.

Honestly though, since Steam/DD is a no-go for you anyways, it doesn't matter so much. At least not to me. My favorite part of PC gaming is that I can get so many quality titles on the cheap. And it's nice and clutter-free.

People who are having endless trouble gaming on a PC must be doing something very wrong. The last three times a game crashed or froze up on me was on the PS3 and 360 (GT5 and BFBC2) and I don't even play much on consoles. There are also tons of networking problems on the consoles, server lags, poor media support and updates all the time that take forever to download due to the poor servers.

Steam is brilliant, I downloaded Sacred Gold, Neverwinter Nights 2 Diamond Edition, HL2 and TF2 in a little over an hour last night.

Doobie_wop; I don't consider myself an elitist at all but this is the thing that vexes me about Diablo III possibly being on consoles; we have been waiting for ages for this game and this could potentially extend the wait even longer, who knows how long? And in the end, I don't think it will sell very well at all on consoles, isometric hack & slash RPG's aren't exactly a huge genre on the PS360... and if they change the camera and play mode, we're back to my original point; development time. Release the PC version first and console versions later? Even less sales. Also, I can't see how Blizzard could be considered mediocre compared to most console game developers, none of the three have a line-up that is anywhere near the PC this generation (imo). Starcraft I and II, Warcraft series and the Diablo series are mediocre? I wonder which nirvana of incredibly amazing games you've lived in to see them so?

One last thing; a new 1000$ PC that can't run Oblivion properly? That's impossible, even a laptop that costs less than that, built almost solely for desktop programs nowadays will run it very well. I bought my PC in september 2006 and it runs the hell out of Oblivion on max settings. Granted, mine was expensive when I bought it, but a 1000$ PC today kicks it's ass without a problem and I haven't upgraded a single piece of it (save for two extra harddrives).

ssj12 said:
qmoney88 said:
ssj12 said:

2. I remember a certain console starting selling at a lose at $599.99. For $599 you can build a decent PC. Just stick with AMD.

3. Other then the bad port, PC games normally aren't very glitchy at all. No worse then the best console game, but most of the time better.

cmon man, can you really use that argument for number 2?  While 599 can net you a fairly decent setup (and by decent I mean Barely) that doesnt negate the fact that now the same console is half that price and the games just keep getting better.  In order to see an improvement in software purchased for a pc, you must upgrade, something that developers do for you on consoles.  Tell me one game you can play on a $599  rig thats going to look as good as kz3, uc2 etc.  Now tell me one game that you can play on a $299 rig that can play any new major release period.  Fact is console gaming is much more convenient and less expensive for those who only purchase a handful of titles througout ownership of said console.  I happen to be fortunate enough to own a good gaming pc, 360, and ps3, but not everyone does and a $299 price tag is much more alluring then say a $1200 pc that allows you to play games with negligible amounts of increased fidelity. 

Furthermore, most people do not want to spend the time to learn the ins and outs of pc care and how to upgrade without screwing everything up.  Most times, there is much tweaking and adjusting settings that needs to be done in order to fully enjoy everything a game has to offer, not to mention picking up an hd monitor and the right accessories.  While the same could be said for consoles needing hdtv's, nowadays most individuals who own these systems already own an hdtv of some sort since they are fairly cheap compared to a few years ago and use them for other means in addition to their console(s).  Console gaming is the number one form of entertainment for one reason:  accessbility. 

1. a $1200 is far from ever needed and is for enthusiasts like me only. $400 - $600 for a PC is enough to run anything for the next 2 - 4 years without worrying about the latest graphics as you will be able to run Crysis 2 on high with a $600 PC. And a $300 PC, Crysis 1 easily on enthusiast which is better looking then KZ3 and UC2.

2. Everything but the processor and HDD are plug-in play. Even GPUs are... only high-end GPUs require additional power sources beyond what the PCIe x16 slot gives. And even then its a basic setup. Plus games now scan your system and auto-adjust the settings. Most of the time they autoset to low, but that's a good thing for people who don't want to mess with settings.

3. 1080p HDTVs still are not cheap, especially 3DTVs which is the new norm for PS3 games. For the cost of a good 3DTV console games accessories, you will easily dwarf the cost of my rig and purchase two more monitors with Nvidia's 3D vision glasses... and my rig is an enthusiast PC.

Is there some secret black market that I am not aware of?  Youre saying that you can find a $300 pc that runs crysis 1 at settings that make it look better than kz3 and uc2?  Please dont tell me that you think everything is plug n play, there have been several times that ive had to adjust settings and tweak with things on my graphics card to get it to play certain games correctly in order to eliminate graphical glitches amongst other things.  Not to mention the fact that most higher end gpu's are a complete waste of money if you dont know how to get the most out of them.  These things are far from plug n play my friend.  The fact that you are saying its as simple to use a console as it is a pc is telling of your entire post, and who said you had to purchase a 1080p tv?  Also, who said that tv had to be 50 inches?  or 3d?  I actually prefer playing my ps3 and 360 on the same monitor I use for my pc, a 23 inch that is absolute perfection for everything.  I also own a 32 inch samsung lcd, but only use it for tv and movies for the most part (got it for 250 btw, monitor for 150).  There are plenty of affordable hdtv's at decent sizes and are used for other things such as watching tv, movies etc.  Not everyonen huddles around their computer monitor every time they would like to enjoy a film or their favorite tv shows, especially when you have more than one person to entertain.  Youre throwing in unnecessary accessories and purchases simply to justify your stance, it says youre a writer but your ignorance amazes me.  I cant believe im even having this conversation. 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE  PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

Around the Network
r505Matt said:
Doobie_wop said:

I bought a computer 2.5 years ago for $800 that runs Oblivion on max pretty easily. I'm also still playing every game I'm playing on the highest settings with no issues. Games rarely crash for me, haven't had any save file issues. Just kinda wanted to put that out there since you seemed to focus on the negatives of PC gaming.

Yes, you'd have to build it yourself or have a friend help you, but it's SO worth it. You can save sooo much money, so long as you're careful (understanding static electricty/grounding is VERY important). It's not very hard to do, but yes, it requires a little research. You want to make sure everything will work together, and that you don't have any 1 or 2 parts that are vastly superior to the rest of the machine.

Honestly though, since Steam/DD is a no-go for you anyways, it doesn't matter so much. At least not to me. My favorite part of PC gaming is that I can get so many quality titles on the cheap. And it's nice and clutter-free.

Very true, i love steam and all of its deals, they have some of the craziest discounts known to man, I dont even know how they get away with it lol.

ssj12 said:
TX109 said:
ssj12 said:
qmoney88 said:
ssj12 said:

1. a $1200 is far from ever needed and is for enthusiasts like me only. $400 - $600 for a PC is enough to run anything for the next 2 - 4 years without worrying about the latest graphics as you will be able to run Crysis 2 on very high with a $600 PC. And a $300 PC, Crysis 1 easily on high which is better looking then KZ3 and UC2.

@bolded: I would honestly like to know where these numbers come from. everywhere i go for an estimate on a gaming PC tells me about $900-$1500, and that is a relatively low set-up according to them. i mean hell, my $1200 PC, which was bought brand new a year ago, has trouble running Oblivion let-alone Crysis on high.

Thats cute and all, but you still need an hd monitor, operating system, accessories and the KNOW HOW to get this done.  Post something relevant.

qmoney88 said:
ssj12 said:
TX109 said:
ssj12 said:
qmoney88 said:
ssj12 said:

1. a $1200 is far from ever needed and is for enthusiasts like me only. $400 - $600 for a PC is enough to run anything for the next 2 - 4 years without worrying about the latest graphics as you will be able to run Crysis 2 on very high with a $600 PC. And a $300 PC, Crysis 1 easily on high which is better looking then KZ3 and UC2.

Thats cute and all, but you still need an hd monitor, operating system, accessories and the KNOW HOW to get this done.  Post something relevant.

"HD" monitor? You do know HD is a marketing jargon right? Anyone who has a 12 year old CRT monitor which should happen to have a resolution above 720p easily or buy one for $99 or hook it up to a TV as most rooms now a days have TVs with PC inputs..

OS.. ok either A. use the OS installer off an old PC and steal the CD key like I do half the time, or B. get the OEM disc which is $129 for W7Pro.

And building a PC is like playing with LEGOs, you'd be a idiot if you couldn't figure it out since the manual for the motherboard tells you everything you need to so step-by-step.

Quit trying to argue. I've been using PCs since I was 3, and gaming since I was 5 with Wolfenstein 3D and my Atari, and building PCs for about 8 years now. I know what I'm talking about and it is completely obvious that your argument against PC gaming is a complete joke. Quit embarrassing yourself.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please

ssj12 said:
qmoney88 said:
ssj12 said:
TX109 said:
ssj12 said:
qmoney88 said:
ssj12 said:

"HD" monitor? You do know HD is a marketing jargon right? Anyone who has a 12 year old CRT monitor which should happen to have a resolution above 720p easily or buy one for $99 or hook it up to a TV as most rooms now a days have TVs with PC inputs..

OS.. ok either A. use the OS installer off an old PC and steal the CD key like I do half the time, or B. get the OEM disc which is $129 for W7Pro.

And building a PC is like playing with LEGOs, you'd be a idiot if you couldn't figure it out since the manual for the motherboard tells you everything you need to so step-by-step.

Quit trying to argue. I've been using PCs since I was 3, and gaming since I was 5 with Wolfenstein 3D and my Atari, and building PCs for about 8 years now. I know what I'm talking about and it is completely obvious that your argument against PC gaming is a complete joke. Quit embarrassing yourself.

ssj12, I apologize for turning this into a hostile argument, a bit of my jabs were childish and uncalled for and I admit that.  Just a few counter arguments then about this and your previous posts.  You say that you can get away with using a 12 year old crt, the same could be said for consoles if you dont mind standard definition.  I mean, if youre going to try and max or play crysis on decent settings, if you dont have an led or lcd screen?  Not that thats necessarily bad, I would just imagine that the technology available now at a decent price would be a bit more desirable.  Hooking it up to your t.v. wouldve required a tv purchase to begin with, and since neither a console or pc can be played without one, would also have to be factored into the cost if you do that for consoles as well, otherwise I could say that I had an hdtv and bought a console, decided to hook it up to it.  I also agree with your point about the ease of piecing together any rig, yet the majority of people are not like you and have difficulty putting together fake christmas trees, let alone a pc (heart attack inducing for most).  Being as you have as much experience as you do and youre given hobby (or profession) I just imagined youd be a bit more open minded about this, were definitely in the minority when it comes to things like this.  I do admit that I dont know everything there is to know about pc's or nearly as  much as you do, but Ive done my research and know how most people operate these days, if it dont work out of the box then forget about it is their mentality.  I have nothing against pc gaming, I quite enjoy it and am a bit of an enthusiast myself when it comes to upgrades and attempting to max out every game I can, when I can.  Howerver, I also understand why console gamers prefer consoles, its more convenient for them. 

The fact is consoles come out of the box ready to go besides some mandatory, automatically downloaded updates and a required profile creation, which each console does a decent job of holding your hand through the process.  When building your own pc, you need to research parts, which parts are compatible together, and then how to piece it all together without screwing things up.  I had to go through this myself as does anyone, I didnt start gaming on a pc but grew to love it and all of its intricacies.  I do apologize again, sometimes when I drink and blog I tend to let my emotions show a bit more than I intended. 

qmoney88 said:
ssj12 said:

ssj12, I apologize for turning this into a hostile argument, a bit of my jabs were childish and uncalled for and I admit that.  Just a few counter arguments then about this and your previous posts.  You say that you can get away with using a 12 year old crt, the same could be said for consoles if you dont mind standard definition.  I mean, if youre going to try and max or play crysis on decent settings, if you dont have an led or lcd screen?  Not that thats necessarily bad, I would just imagine that the technology available now at a decent price would be a bit more desirable.  Hooking it up to your t.v. wouldve required a tv purchase to begin with, and since neither a console or pc can be played without one, would also have to be factored into the cost if you do that for consoles as well, otherwise I could say that I had an hdtv and bought a console, decided to hook it up to it.  I also agree with your point about the ease of piecing together any rig, yet the majority of people are not like you and have difficulty putting together fake christmas trees, let alone a pc (heart attack inducing for most).  Being as you have as much experience as you do and youre given hobby (or profession) I just imagined youd be a bit more open minded about this, were definitely in the minority when it comes to things like this.  I do admit that I dont know everything there is to know about pc's or nearly as  much as you do, but Ive done my research and know how most people operate these days, if it dont work out of the box then forget about it is their mentality.  I have nothing against pc gaming, I quite enjoy it and am a bit of an enthusiast myself when it comes to upgrades and attempting to max out every game I can, when I can.  Howerver, I also understand why console gamers prefer consoles, its more convenient for them. 

The fact is consoles come out of the box ready to go besides some mandatory, automatically downloaded updates and a required profile creation, which each console does a decent job of holding your hand through the process.  When building your own pc, you need to research parts, which parts are compatible together, and then how to piece it all together without screwing things up.  I had to go through this myself as does anyone, I didnt start gaming on a pc but grew to love it and all of its intricacies.  I do apologize again, sometimes when I drink and blog I tend to let my emotions show a bit more than I intended. 

Most bedrooms have a small TV in the room. I have my TV next to my PC monitor. Its a 720p TV. Most people have a TV and a DVD player in their rooms. Its basically standard now. So the TV in the room was originally purchased for other means. It can easily be used for a PC monitor.

And yes, some people have issues with certain things, those same people having issues with a fake christmas trees coiuld easily be quite small financial guys. And even I had issues with my fake christmass tree as it has like 7 plugs, was frustrating as hell to jigsaw it together in the correct order. Thats why Im going with a real tree next christmas. People have trouble with random things. Not everyone is slow enough to not figure out how to build a PC.  Like I said, its playing with LEGOs pretty much. There is less and less different ports and stuff to stick things in. Everything is pretty straight forward. Female molex to male molex, sata to sata sockets, PCIe card into PCIe sockets, power cords to power cords, and CPU grease cooler.  And of course mobo screws in correct places following the guide that comes with the case.