By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Diablo III coming to consoles?

gergroy said:

I already have a gaming pc, but I prefer gaming consoles.  True, you could upgrade a crappy computer to get to kind of work, but you aren't going to get a superior experience by meeting the minimum requirements (you'll probably have to upgrade ram as well, if not operating system).  

If you are trying to get a superior experience on the pc, it is definitely more expensive, which is what I was talking about, but good job taking one point I made out of context to try and make somekind of point that doesn't reflect on what I was talking about. 

Sorry, I completely missed your point about superior experience. No matter, I thought an experience can be superior even if it doesn't look a lot better-

Sure, graphically superior experience costs a lot but you don't have to do it. Still, at least you can do it if you want. That's why I think PCs are so great in general: there's so much freedom.

Around the Network
irstupid said:
gergroy said:
Zkuq said:
gergroy said:

2. depends on the starting specs of the computer, plus starting cost of a decent pc is a lot higher than a console.  pc gaming is definitely more expensive to be into, I don't think there is any debating that. 

If you have a PC not older than a few years, you can probably upgrade it to be very gaming-capable with just $80 or so for a new graphics card. Will do for a couple of years at least. Just... Don't tell me you don't have a PC at all? Good. And if your PC is older than that, well, have a guess how much it would have cost to upgrade your PC if you for some reason decided to upgrade it instead of buying a console? Yeah, probably not more at least.

Anyway, point is, PC gaming is not even nearly as expensive as people make it seem.

I already have a gaming pc, but I prefer gaming consoles.  True, you could upgrade a crappy computer to get to kind of work, but you aren't going to get a superior experience by meeting the minimum requirements (you'll probably have to upgrade ram as well, if not operating system).  

If you are trying to get a superior experience on the pc, it is definitely more expensive, which is what I was talking about, but good job taking one point I made out of context to try and make somekind of point that doesn't reflect on what I was talking about. 

why keep bringing up a superior experience

if your comparing which is better deal a ps3 or a pc.  you should consider a COMPARABLE pc.  not a decked out insane resolution, frame rates ect.  It should be the same resolution, same frame rates.  WHICH is not hard at all to do.

and a $300 ps3?  ok sure, then that is also much cheaper pc hardware.  we don't need to buy anywhere near new graphics cards or other things to match what the ps3 can do.  you could easily buy a $50 card that puts out the best ps3 can do now. 

and i love how some peopel say pc gaming is glitchy.  its like you are playing pc gaming a say 90-120 fps, then it drops to 60 for a sec and people think its glitchy.  Yea i would much rather play a 30 fps game in half the resolution on my ps3. 

ok, go back and read where this conversation started and then you will realize that that this post is pointless.

What I thought was great about the Baldur's gate series was that they made the PC game, the full on, awesome D&D experience. And then they made console spinoff ARPG games (Dark Alliance), which are great in themselves, and offered totally different, but no less fun experiences.I absolutely loved Dark Alliance 1 and 2, and I love Baldur's Gate too.

I think that sort of scheme should be adopted for a lot more game series. e.g. don't put Starcraft II on console (as if that would ever happen), but make a Starcraft spin off game for consoles.

I do like Dragon Age Origins on PS3, and with trophies it really incentivises multiple plays though. And for a new IP it was probably better to put the same game on all platforms. But with established and well loved PC franchises I reckon the spinoff game approach would be successful. After all people who are both PC and console gamers will buy a great console spin off game, as well as the main PC game, which means 2 sales. But how many people are going to by the game for PC and for console? No one.

I certainly think console spin off games of PC franchises are more likely to be good quality games and sell well than movie spinoff games.

I have no particular opinion on Diablo III being on console.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

qmoney88 said:
ssj12 said:

2. I remember a certain console starting selling at a lose at $599.99. For $599 you can build a decent PC. Just stick with AMD.

3. Other then the bad port, PC games normally aren't very glitchy at all. No worse then the best console game, but most of the time better.

cmon man, can you really use that argument for number 2?  While 599 can net you a fairly decent setup (and by decent I mean Barely) that doesnt negate the fact that now the same console is half that price and the games just keep getting better.  In order to see an improvement in software purchased for a pc, you must upgrade, something that developers do for you on consoles.  Tell me one game you can play on a $599  rig thats going to look as good as kz3, uc2 etc.  Now tell me one game that you can play on a $299 rig that can play any new major release period.  Fact is console gaming is much more convenient and less expensive for those who only purchase a handful of titles througout ownership of said console.  I happen to be fortunate enough to own a good gaming pc, 360, and ps3, but not everyone does and a $299 price tag is much more alluring then say a $1200 pc that allows you to play games with negligible amounts of increased fidelity. 

Furthermore, most people do not want to spend the time to learn the ins and outs of pc care and how to upgrade without screwing everything up.  Most times, there is much tweaking and adjusting settings that needs to be done in order to fully enjoy everything a game has to offer, not to mention picking up an hd monitor and the right accessories.  While the same could be said for consoles needing hdtv's, nowadays most individuals who own these systems already own an hdtv of some sort since they are fairly cheap compared to a few years ago and use them for other means in addition to their console(s).  Console gaming is the number one form of entertainment for one reason:  accessbility. 

1. a $1200 is far from ever needed and is for enthusiasts like me only. $400 - $600 for a PC is enough to run anything for the next 2 - 4 years without worrying about the latest graphics as you will be able to run Crysis 2 on high with a $600 PC. And a $300 PC, Crysis 1 easily on enthusiast which is better looking then KZ3 and UC2.

2. Everything but the processor and HDD are plug-in play. Even GPUs are... only high-end GPUs require additional power sources beyond what the PCIe x16 slot gives. And even then its a basic setup. Plus games now scan your system and auto-adjust the settings. Most of the time they autoset to low, but that's a good thing for people who don't want to mess with settings.

3. 1080p HDTVs still are not cheap, especially 3DTVs which is the new norm for PS3 games. For the cost of a good 3DTV console games accessories, you will easily dwarf the cost of my rig and purchase two more monitors with Nvidia's 3D vision glasses... and my rig is an enthusiast PC.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Ok, let me see...

If it comes out just for PC, I will have to buy a new PC, that's like 900 dollars.

if it comes out on consoles that usually means Xbox 360 or PS3, so I will have to buy a new console, that's like 200-300 dollars, but then I would have to find on what console are my friends playing the game and hope that everyone is using the same one...

For me is a loss-loss situation, so either option is good I will still spend a big amount of money for that game.

Around the Network
ssj12 said:
qmoney88 said:
ssj12 said:

2. I remember a certain console starting selling at a lose at $599.99. For $599 you can build a decent PC. Just stick with AMD.

3. Other then the bad port, PC games normally aren't very glitchy at all. No worse then the best console game, but most of the time better.

cmon man, can you really use that argument for number 2?  While 599 can net you a fairly decent setup (and by decent I mean Barely) that doesnt negate the fact that now the same console is half that price and the games just keep getting better.  In order to see an improvement in software purchased for a pc, you must upgrade, something that developers do for you on consoles.  Tell me one game you can play on a $599  rig thats going to look as good as kz3, uc2 etc.  Now tell me one game that you can play on a $299 rig that can play any new major release period.  Fact is console gaming is much more convenient and less expensive for those who only purchase a handful of titles througout ownership of said console.  I happen to be fortunate enough to own a good gaming pc, 360, and ps3, but not everyone does and a $299 price tag is much more alluring then say a $1200 pc that allows you to play games with negligible amounts of increased fidelity. 

Furthermore, most people do not want to spend the time to learn the ins and outs of pc care and how to upgrade without screwing everything up.  Most times, there is much tweaking and adjusting settings that needs to be done in order to fully enjoy everything a game has to offer, not to mention picking up an hd monitor and the right accessories.  While the same could be said for consoles needing hdtv's, nowadays most individuals who own these systems already own an hdtv of some sort since they are fairly cheap compared to a few years ago and use them for other means in addition to their console(s).  Console gaming is the number one form of entertainment for one reason:  accessbility. 

1. a $1200 is far from ever needed and is for enthusiasts like me only. $400 - $600 for a PC is enough to run anything for the next 2 - 4 years without worrying about the latest graphics as you will be able to run Crysis 2 on high with a $600 PC. And a $300 PC, Crysis 1 easily on enthusiast which is better looking then KZ3 and UC2.

2. Everything but the processor and HDD are plug-in play. Even GPUs are... only high-end GPUs require additional power sources beyond what the PCIe x16 slot gives. And even then its a basic setup. Plus games now scan your system and auto-adjust the settings. Most of the time they autoset to low, but that's a good thing for people who don't want to mess with settings.

3. 1080p HDTVs still are not cheap, especially 3DTVs which is the new norm for PS3 games. For the cost of a good 3DTV console games accessories, you will easily dwarf the cost of my rig and purchase two more monitors with Nvidia's 3D vision glasses... and my rig is an enthusiast PC.

@bolded: I would honestly like to know where these numbers come from. everywhere i go for an estimate on a gaming PC tells me about $900-$1500, and that is a relatively low set-up according to them. i mean hell, my $1200 PC, which was bought brand new a year ago, has trouble running Oblivion let-alone Crysis on high.

TX109 said:
ssj12 said:
qmoney88 said:
ssj12 said:

1. a $1200 is far from ever needed and is for enthusiasts like me only. $400 - $600 for a PC is enough to run anything for the next 2 - 4 years without worrying about the latest graphics as you will be able to run Crysis 2 on very high with a $600 PC. And a $300 PC, Crysis 1 easily on high which is better looking then KZ3 and UC2.

@bolded: I would honestly like to know where these numbers come from. everywhere i go for an estimate on a gaming PC tells me about $900-$1500, and that is a relatively low set-up according to them. i mean hell, my $1200 PC, which was bought brand new a year ago, has trouble running Oblivion let-alone Crysis on high.

http://www.geekcodex.com/?p=312

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

ssj12 said:
TX109 said:
ssj12 said:
qmoney88 said:
ssj12 said:

http://www.geekcodex.com/?p=312

has this been done before? have you or a friend tried it? i suppose it is plausible. not exactly accesible, but plausible. though I remain skeptical about such a thing.

Blizzard, you damn numbfucks, it this bullshit interferes with my getting Diablo III any time soon I'll have someone lop off all your heads. I think we've waited long enough now and we certainly don't need yet another good developer turning to consoles to make a watered down version of what could be a truly great game.

Well Blizzard has made many of their games on consoles back in the past. Black Thorne, The Lost Vikings, Diablo I. The consoles today are more like PC's just watered down. It sounds very plausible.