By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Take-Two thinks GTA on Wii is laughable

HappySqurriel said:

Take Two is one of the companies that is most at risk of going bankrupt due to the success of the Wii because they fail to take advantage of it ... At the same time, Take Two would be one of the companies most at risk of going bankrupt if the XBox 360 or PS3 were as successful ...

exactly what I was going to say - GTA is not suitable for the Wii so we are going to release Bully which is also a sandbox game??? Lets just see where the likes of Take Two / Konami and their "assumptions" about Wii ownersare by the end of 08 when the Wii market share has seriously increased.  Out of principle i'm not gonnas buy GTA4 for my 360 now

Those people that think they're perfect give a bad reputation to us who are... 

"With the DS, it's fair to say that Nintendo stepped out of the technical race and went for a feature differentiation with the touch screen, but I fear that it won't have a lasting impact beyond that of a gimmick - so the long-lasting appeal of the platform is at peril as a direct result of that." - Phil Harrison, Sony

Around the Network

GTA on Wii?
It would get banned in the UK instantly if you were able to beat up people with the wand.

Good to see this site is still going 

I love how voiceful the Sony and hardcore faithful have become as of late now that the PS3's sales are up and the Wii's are handicapped by supply. I wonder where their courage was earlier in the year?

Nevermind my babbling though, it's clear Take-Two is of the persuation that the Wii is the throw away console of this generation to be fed scraps while the real games go to the big two graphical power houses of the 360 and PS3. And it would seem that unless a franchise is geared solely towards the japanese market most developers seem to think the same way too.

Also, while on the issue, many would have most likely said a Wii version of Guitar Hero III would just be a dumbed down version of the better ones on the PS3 and 360 too before it was announced, but now it is arguably the most wanted and potentially most successful version.

Onimusha12 said:

Also, while on the issue, many would have most likely said a Wii version of Guitar Hero III would just be a dumbed down version of the better ones on the PS3 and 360 too before it was announced, but now it is arguably the most wanted and potentially most successful version.

The game is a gimped down version of the 360/PS3/PS2 version, last i heard the wii one only has mono sound.  Its a music game with mono sound, thats a joke.

Griffin said:
Onimusha12 said:

Also, while on the issue, many would have most likely said a Wii version of Guitar Hero III would just be a dumbed down version of the better ones on the PS3 and 360 too before it was announced, but now it is arguably the most wanted and potentially most successful version.

The game is a gimped down version of the 360/PS3/PS2 version, last i heard the wii one only has mono sound.  Its a music game with mono sound, thats a joke.

Actually they've announced a recall to fix that problem, which is much better than a lazy patch to be honest. And called it gimped all you want, its by far the most popular version.

Around the Network

I really hate when publishers think that people with a Wii are like that, people with a 360 are like that, and people with a PS3 are like that. "Games more suitable for the Wii"... As if every Wii owner was a 60yo woman who only likes Wii Sports and a few other Party Games... And every PS3/360 owner is a 25yo male core gamer who buys at least 4 games a month.
Personnally, every Wii owner that I know would be glad to have GTA on the Wii. I don't know any 30yo+ Wii owner actually... And I'm pretty sure that at least 50% of Wii owners are core gamers.

Oh no, it's the "Crysis on consoles" all over again...

None of these developers seem to realize how starved Wii gamers are for decent third party support. If you even ported a GTA game from the PS2 onto the Wii it would sell phenomenally. It's money they're losing and money they're throwing away by not investing seriously in the Wii with proven franchises. The PS3 and 360 may seem like viable investments now but there's no garantee they'll have the legs the Wii will.

Onimusha12 said:
None of these developers seem to realize how starved Wii gamers are for decent third party support. If you even ported a GTA game from the PS2 onto the Wii it would sell phenomenally. It's money they're losing and money they're throwing away by not investing seriously in the Wii with proven franchises. The PS3 and 360 may seem like viable investments now but there's no garantee they'll have the legs the Wii will.

Its true there is a veritable gold mine in the Wii that only a few intelligent companies have tried to exploit, look at sales of some of the third party titles, mario and Sonic, Resident evil, Rayman, have all translated into big bucks for the companies willing to make a game on the Wii.  

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Mountie said:
student said:
If you want GTA that bad on the wii, play godfather. I personally found it a lot more captivating and well made than ANY of the GTAs. GTA4 from the trailer looks like a prettier version that just borrowed a lot of the concepts from godfather.

Honestly, there are a lot more, much better games out there than GTA.

There are a lot more, much better games out there than GTA? For Pete's sake, give credit where its due. San Andreas was a very good game and comparing it to the Godfather, while also a good game, is just weak. If you liked it better, then fine.

For the moment, and clearly when they started production PS3+360 is still greater than the Wii, so cut them some slack for not immediately dumping the game mid-way through!

Aye, Mountie, I think the GTA series aren't that great of a gaming experience. Maybe not a lot of games that are much better in the same STYLE, but in terms of overall quality, I don't see GTA as being that great. 

And me liking it better should have nothing to do with Godfather vs GTA. The fact of the matter is, Godfather made a lot more changes (that were all solid) to the GTA formula than ANY of the games after 3. The GTA series made one innovative game on last gen's console and then rode on the formula for three games. Maybe it will repeat its strength with GTA 4 but time will tell on that one.