By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Take-Two thinks GTA on Wii is laughable

Bashing Take-Two because you are a Wii fan is not cool. Take-Two has probably the best roster of development teams in the business (Rockstar, Firaxis, Irrational). I would be a lot more concerned if development was based solely on which platform could turn them the fastest buck.

Around the Network

Many devs laughed about their games being on Wii... many of them ended making games for wii... We'll see what will T2 say in 2 years...

Played_Out said:
Bashing Take-Two because you are a Wii fan is not cool. Take-Two has probably the best roster of development teams in the business (Rockstar, Firaxis, Irrational). I would be a lot more concerned if development was based solely on which platform could turn them the fastest buck.

No i'll still bash them, if they were actually the best dev teams in the business they could produce AAA titles on the Wii, they haven't

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Griffin said:
Onimusha12 said:

Also, while on the issue, many would have most likely said a Wii version of Guitar Hero III would just be a dumbed down version of the better ones on the PS3 and 360 too before it was announced, but now it is arguably the most wanted and potentially most successful version.

The game is a gimped down version of the 360/PS3/PS2 version, last i heard the wii one only has mono sound. Its a music game with mono sound, thats a joke.

Gimped compared to the PS2 version? Are you basing this SOLELY on the mono sound, which is just a coding accident, and not by design? 

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

it would of been good to see a wii GTA even if not the forth a wii GTA would of still been good

Around the Network
NeoRatt said:
famousringo said:
NeoRatt said:
famousringo said:
NeoRatt said:
HappySqurriel said:

Take Two is one of the companies that is most at risk of going bankrupt due to the success of the Wii because they fail to take advantage of it ... At the same time, Take Two would be one of the companies most at risk of going bankrupt if the XBox 360 or PS3 were as successful ...

By the way... How many 3rd parties are raking in the money from the Wii? And how's that Wii attach rate? What real incentive is there for a 3rd party to go Wii? Especially for a game that is the ultimate gamer's franchise? Not to mention Wii has the highest royalties and you have to sell your game $10 cheaper to sell it...

My point flew straight over your head, didn't it? Third parties aren't getting any returns on Wii because they aren't investing in Wii. Sometimes they get lucky with a casual title or a good port, but they can't really be deemed to be failing if they're barely even trying in the first place.

They aren't investing because they know that a title on the Wii cannot hold a candle to a similar title on 360 or PS3... Wii is the modestly above "LastGen" processing machine with a really cool and fun motion controller... Don't get me wrong. I love my Wii... But you're never going to see anything like Gears, Resistance, Halo, or Drake's Fortune on it... Why do you think Take Two was laughing at GTA on the Wii? Because it is not possible to do it at the level GTA IV is.

I have MP3 and Mario Galaxy... Sorry, they are nothing compared to Halo 3, Resistance, Gears, or Drake's Fortune. They are great games, but the realism and immersiveness of the environments don't compare.

However you could make a game like Persona 3+ which won game of the month vs a number of next get games. Gameplay always trumps graphics. A good number of the best games this year have been out on PS2, just how it was when the 360 was the only next gen game. Other "inferior" tech systems still got high rated games and also some blockbuster games. Why? Because the PS2's popularity made it so those big games were forced to come there... Well that and considering how "hit & miss" it can be it's good to take the edge off. If a 360 and Wii game sold equal software, i'd put my money on the Wii making more money... and some recent games have shown the Wii can move some massive hardware. It's just third party publishers have to up there game on it.

I don't want current gen games to look like last gen games.  I guess some developers play games and feel the same way.  Gameplay is most important, but the power of the system changes gameplay options, just like a unique controller does.

PS3/360/PC titles can sell just as well as Wii/PS2 titles based on install bases.  It's just too bad that some of you didn't anticipate this third party problem earlier.  I'm enjoying my Wii, but I'm glad I also have a PS3 (and possibly 360 in the future, although PC upgrade first) to enjoy the rest of the great games.  It seems some of you have too high of expectations for the Wii support.

PS3 fans got ridiculed on this site all year because we kept listing all the future games for the PS3.  "All PS3 fanboys do is wait for games!  There are no games!" and so on...

However, it now appears that the Wii fanatics are waiting for the games to show up from third parties still.  All I hear is wait until third parties switch development...that's something they appear to not have done yet.

I like high production values to go along with my gameplay.  The Wii control is great but still not the best for FPS (mouse/keyboard, which PS3 supports with UT3 and hopefully all future FPS), so it will indeed take some creative developers to push the control scheme.  

Whatever third parties do, I'll enjoy the games if they are fun to play.  I'm just glad I'm not limited to only the Wii so I don't have to do RE5 petitions and Take Two bashing.  So sad =( 

windbane said:

I don't want current gen games to look like last gen games. I guess some developers play games and feel the same way. Gameplay is most important, but the power of the system changes gameplay options, just like a unique controller does.

PS3/360/PC titles can sell just as well as Wii/PS2 titles based on install bases. It's just too bad that some of you didn't anticipate this third party problem earlier. I'm enjoying my Wii, but I'm glad I also have a PS3 (and possibly 360 in the future, although PC upgrade first) to enjoy the rest of the great games. It seems some of you have too high of expectations for the Wii support.

PS3 fans got ridiculed on this site all year because we kept listing all the future games for the PS3. "All PS3 fanboys do is wait for games! There are no games!" and so on...

However, it now appears that the Wii fanatics are waiting for the games to show up from third parties still. All I hear is wait until third parties switch development...that's something they appear to not have done yet.

I like high production values to go along with my gameplay. The Wii control is great but still not the best for FPS (mouse/keyboard, which PS3 supports with UT3 and hopefully all future FPS), so it will indeed take some creative developers to push the control scheme.

Whatever third parties do, I'll enjoy the games if they are fun to play. I'm just glad I'm not limited to only the Wii so I don't have to do RE5 petitions and Take Two bashing. So sad =(

I admit that comments based on future assumptions are faulty (wait until Ps3 games come, or wait until developer support the Wii), you can't really say what production values the Wii will have at this point. 

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

windbane said:

I don't want current gen games to look like last gen games.  I guess some developers play games and feel the same way.  Gameplay is most important, but the power of the system changes gameplay options, just like a unique controller does.

PS3/360/PC titles can sell just as well as Wii/PS2 titles based on install bases.  It's just too bad that some of you didn't anticipate this third party problem earlier.  I'm enjoying my Wii, but I'm glad I also have a PS3 (and possibly 360 in the future, although PC upgrade first) to enjoy the rest of the great games.  It seems some of you have too high of expectations for the Wii support.

PS3 fans got ridiculed on this site all year because we kept listing all the future games for the PS3.  "All PS3 fanboys do is wait for games!  There are no games!" and so on...

However, it now appears that the Wii fanatics are waiting for the games to show up from third parties still.  All I hear is wait until third parties switch development...that's something they appear to not have done yet.

I like high production values to go along with my gameplay.  The Wii control is great but still not the best for FPS (mouse/keyboard, which PS3 supports with UT3 and hopefully all future FPS), so it will indeed take some creative developers to push the control scheme.  

Whatever third parties do, I'll enjoy the games if they are fun to play.  I'm just glad I'm not limited to only the Wii so I don't have to do RE5 petitions and Take Two bashing.  So sad =( 

Let's be candid Windane, what you want is a lead console that isn't Nintendo. The excuses and reasons vary, but in the end I really wonder if fans like yourself would truly be satisfied with a Nintendo console if it had the best graphics, all the games and the best features... would that really be enough to make you happy or would you still find a reason to prefer a console that isn't Nintendo.

The Wii's graphics are closer to this true standard of this generation than that of the 360 or Ps3 as the Wii at least kept within the bounds of economics and the logistics of game development. These "next gen" graphics you adore on the 360 and PS3 are not what was available to this generation, rather, they are what was forced on this generation inspite of the economic and logistical limitations which have resulted in a toll on game length, development time, development cost and most importantly the consumer with two consoles which have literally doubled the standard of console cost from last gen's $200-$300 to this gen's $400-$600. At this rate why not just buy a highly capable PC several years from now for $800-$1,200 and just call it eighth gen? Like so many others you're blind to the plateau of economics vs graphics which was reached last generation, you assume that this generation like each past must be defined by a massive graphical leap and in your earnesty to keep believing this myth (in perhaps a way similar to a child trying to maintain his belief in Santa Claus) you looked at what the Ps3 and 360 forcefully and expensively carved out of a market that would yield no more and deemed it, in your over-eagerness to believe, "true next gen".

Blame the Wii for not being the peak of this generation's graphics, but don't blame it for not going as far as the 360 and PS3 in their excess.

Blame the Wii for not having enough storage space, but don't blame it for not banking on a harddrive, a device which would have significantly shortened its lifespan and given developers liscence to rush games with the promise of patches to fix problems in the future.

windbane said:

I don't want current gen games to look like last gen games. I guess some developers play games and feel the same way. Gameplay is most important, but the power of the system changes gameplay options, just like a unique controller does.

PS3/360/PC titles can sell just as well as Wii/PS2 titles based on install bases. It's just too bad that some of you didn't anticipate this third party problem earlier. I'm enjoying my Wii, but I'm glad I also have a PS3 (and possibly 360 in the future, although PC upgrade first) to enjoy the rest of the great games. It seems some of you have too high of expectations for the Wii support.

PS3 fans got ridiculed on this site all year because we kept listing all the future games for the PS3. "All PS3 fanboys do is wait for games! There are no games!" and so on...

However, it now appears that the Wii fanatics are waiting for the games to show up from third parties still. All I hear is wait until third parties switch development...that's something they appear to not have done yet.

I like high production values to go along with my gameplay. The Wii control is great but still not the best for FPS (mouse/keyboard, which PS3 supports with UT3 and hopefully all future FPS), so it will indeed take some creative developers to push the control scheme.

Whatever third parties do, I'll enjoy the games if they are fun to play. I'm just glad I'm not limited to only the Wii so I don't have to do RE5 petitions and Take Two bashing. So sad =(

Actually, I plan to own all 3 systems, however I perfer the Wii for most games as it takes a lot more effort to get a the same amount out of a 360 and the PS3 than it does the Wii in my opinion. The reason being the high def graphics. High Def graphics are a handicap gameplay wise because people spend way too much time on them because they take up a lot of development time. In a perfect world where you have a lot of time high def graphics are great and all. But when development times are as low as they are currently... games end up with all sorts of bugs and gameplay issues because you just don't have the time to work on both the graphics and the gameplay. Look at GT and how long it takes to make just 1 car. This stops being a problem when you start rolling out more equipment and sequels. It's still quite an early problem. Take a look at Smackdown vs Raw 2008. It's a mess of a game with less wrestlers then the last version (which was also a mess) because it takes them forever to get the 3-D wrestlers perfectly. Meanwhile people really want the return of a game like "WWF No Mercy" on wii ware on the Wii. The reason.... "WWF No Mercy" was just better because of the gameplay. It's STILL a better game. When you make a good Wii or PS2 game at this point because their are better grahics out their you have to focus on the gameplay and other options above all else. It's why the Wii and PS2 games hold up and in many cases are better. I mean find a better baseball game with better physics then MLB Power Pros. You really won't be able too.