By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Can GTA 4 tip the balance of the PS3/Xbox 360 console war in favor of Xbox?

PDF said:

madskillz said

Hello, class. This is a classic example of Sony fanboyism hard at work. Notice the lack of sources and the like - just a biased rant with absolutely no real value or meaning. Thanks for sharing!

Read my signature

Be careful, he might make jest of your mother and father! He is a mature adult remember.

As in go buy us some coffee.

http://speedhunters.com

Around the Network

The game will have an influence in that it will increase demand for next generation consoles. Beyond that most of the sales will be the 360 based purely on console price. Someone who just wants to play the game is libel to spend less money on hardware. That a particular platform enthusiast. Were there a 360 model for less the the price of the Wii at that point in North America. That would be far more appealing to the fans then spending over a hundred dollars more. Remember you have to factor in the price of the game as well. The game is going to move more 360s perhaps a lot more.

I seriously doubt your going to see a Wii version of Grand Theft Auto ever. The first problem is technological this console is not on visual, or performance par with its brethren. Secondly other games in this particular genre have excruciatingly poor sales. Neither Scarface, or Godfather had break out sales. Which is odd since the console at the time was devoid of mature fair, and still isn't a beacon for it. A Wii version would be technically challenging, and given software sales it would probably not be money well spent.

There are still a lot of PS2 gamers on the fence and this game may be able to convince many of them to get either a 360 of PS3. Whichever console they choose the game is likely to help both consoles in terms of sales.

That's very true.

No, I don't think it will cause a massive shift. I think Europe will help offset some of the NA difference. Around 7.1 of the 14.9 Million were in Others.

Will the 360 version sell more? Yes. Will it help the 360 in the console race? likely. But not by an absolute dominant amount

Around the Network

It can help, but it will require someone (MS) to get the word out that GTA4 is both available for the 360 on day 1, and that it will have exclusive content.

Remember that most gamers are relatively casual - they don't prowl online boards, don't really know the specs of each system (and may often be mislead as to system capabilities), don't know developers or histories. Odds are many PS2 owners think that GTA is a Playstation (if not Sony) franchise and will thus turn to the PS3 first to play it.

That said, the best selling GTA sold "only" 13 m copies on a system with 120m consoles sold. Even if we pretend that all 13 m copies went to "hardcore" GTA fans (though why they all wouldn't pick up the later installments would throw that idea in doubt) and that all 13m have not yet chosen a PS3 or 360, and that all 13 m are ready and willing to spend $400 on a game system in order to play GTA4... then you would need a decisive split (at least 60-40) in favor of the 360 to noticably affect the race. Since the actual numbers of people who chose a console on this is likely to be far less, I would say MS needs an 80-20 split in it's favor to get any noticable boost over the PS3.

Gta4 will be most sold on xbox360 no questions asked

misterd said:
It can help, but it will require someone (MS) to get the word out that GTA4 is both available for the 360 on day 1, and that it will have exclusive content.

Remember that most gamers are relatively casual - they don't prowl online boards, don't really know the specs of each system (and may often be mislead as to system capabilities), don't know developers or histories. Odds are many PS2 owners think that GTA is a Playstation (if not Sony) franchise and will thus turn to the PS3 first to play it.

That said, the best selling GTA sold "only" 13 m copies on a system with 120m consoles sold. Even if we pretend that all 13 m copies went to "hardcore" GTA fans (though why they all wouldn't pick up the later installments would throw that idea in doubt) and that all 13m have not yet chosen a PS3 or 360, and that all 13 m are ready and willing to spend $400 on a game system in order to play GTA4... then you would need a decisive split (at least 60-40) in favor of the 360 to noticably affect the race. Since the actual numbers of people who chose a console on this is likely to be far less, I would say MS needs an 80-20 split in it's favor to get any noticable boost over the PS3.

I have thought about this. I am shocked by the amount of people who think GTA4 is still only for the PS3.

Also the best selling GTA sold 16.81 Million. (14.88 Mil on PS2, 1.93 Mil on XBox) I think the combined sales of the PS3/360 version lifetime will be close to 20 Million. It just seems that GTA gets more hype and fans with each successive release. Also, next gen consoles allow for so much more to be done to the game, I think GTA will be a prime example of a game that gets a huge benefit from improved hardware.

@ Halil:

...this thread was over long ago...

halil23 said:
madskillz said:
Bladeneo said:
madskillz said:
Willem said:
"And I am a full-grown man, unlike you, who couldn't be more than 13 and has a PS3 because Moma (maybe Daddy) wanted to buy you one"

Ok, now please try to act like an "adult" ...

Wow ... I must have pinched a nerve or two. Did you write your parents a thank-you card for buying you a PS3?

He had a fair point, you talk about the other guy not having manners and you come out with this assumed sarcastic mockery.

*Yawn*

I wasn't the one who started name-calling and you defend both of these guys. Correct me if I am wrong, but how many adults tell other adults to act like adults? Where I come from, that usually gets a busted lip.

Thanks a lot for your advice, but I would just sit back and enjoy the view and MYOB. Mucho gracias.

Ummm, hello you the one started with the sony bashing, this wouldn't happen if you didn't jump in with your arrogant blatant. And please don't think you're right & cool with everything you try to say, cause really you're offically the worst retardation freak I've ever met. Hope I don't see you ever again. And to the guys who had an argument with that freak, just ignore him and he'll go away.

Arrogant blatant what!?  The suspense is killing me!