By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Can GTA 4 tip the balance of the PS3/Xbox 360 console war in favor of Xbox?

cool48 said:
CTifer said:
Either way, they're rich too. They could have secured exclusivity, or at least pay extra for episodic content if money is what it all really boils down to. Which I don't believe at all that's why it is this way.

I think XBox Live and a generally more robust software sales numbers in favor of MS is the main reason.

A lot of games came out earlier for 360 and that because M$ paid the companies to do so.

Uninformed fanboy of the day award goes to you!!!

Various games come out earlier on the 360 because of 3 reasons 

1) Because the 360 was released earlier.. can't release a game if the console asn't come out yet

2) Because developers deciced to concetrate on the platform with the most people before going multi

3) Because games are developed on the PC/360 first and then ported to the PS3. And because of the PS3's limitation (<-- kidding!)... but because the PS3 is more complicated then developers envisioned, delays where necessary to tweak the ports.

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Around the Network
cool48 said:

Over 50% of people buying it don't know there's extra content.
Over 75% of people don't care if there's extra content ( even the ones buying the 360 version)

I don't think the content is gonna be making a big difference.

I'm hoping MS advertises the episodic contents. Best case scenario would be for MS to have 45sec commercials, where they show a regular 30s of GTA IV and then another 15s of the upcoming episodic content with "ONLY ON XBOX 360!!" stamp at the end.

The episodic content doesn't even have to come out around the same time, they can do it like Movie commercials "Coming only to Xbox Live March 2008" or whatever

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

CTifer said:
student said:
do casual gamers know about episodic content though? How many casuals who will be swayed by GTA know about all that stuff?

GTA doesn't attract the Wii-type of crowds, so yes, GTA gamers will be very interested in additional content. They're not casual to the point where they hear of GTA and just go buy it. Millions of copies have been sold already and the hype is building. There is NO game bigger on the horizon, even MGS.

you keep telling yourself that. The GTA crowd aren't the moms and pops of the wii, but they're not the diehard gamers. Most people I know who played GTA on the PS2 were casuals who weren't that into gaming. They played the game at their friends and thought it was cool.

They're not the type who go online and research the games, and they're not the type who go and buy downloadable content. The millions that have been "sold" already are the diehards and won't throw the battle in one direction or the other.  

The two versions will be exactly the same. They have separate development for each version.
I have both systems, so there will be a decision to make, once more information is released.

I can tell you, that I personally am not persuaded at all from Microsoft's buy out of 2 separate DLC.

@ OP, I do not think GTAIV will tip the WW sales in favor of XBOX.
It COULD increase the lead in NA alone, but I doubt it.

̶3̶R̶D̶   2ND! Place has never been so sweet.

What I find funniest is - had Sony secured the extra content, PS3 fanboiz would be declaring imminent victory. MS paid the cash because they saw how messy the fight got with folks flocking to snag PS2s to play GTA. Check the charts, folks. The top selling game series on the PS2? I'll give you a hint - you can JACK CARS.

To think extra content won't matter is insane. It's just a way to make yourself feel great about your PS3 purchase. It's ok ... but if I owned a PS3, after reading these here words:

"They're identical games," R* rep Hosi Simon continued. "We're not hardware makers, and we're not like a pawn between these companies, we try not to be as much as we can. We make great games for people to enjoy on whichever system they want.

"But I guess if you want the complete experience with the episodes (now at 2 but financial reports state more), then yeah, you should buy the 360, I suppose," Simon said.

I would really wonder what is wrong with no one showing my system love.

Around the Network

Anyone want to take bets on how long it takes halil23 to get banned for his blatant Sony fanboyism, and personal insults to other members. We should really require IQ testing for new members, although I still don't know how this kid was even able to type his name, email, and password into the required fields without f'ing up.  
          Hey, halil, if you can't take warranted criticism of your favorite console, this is not the place for you. The PS3 and Sony are consistently the topic of many threads, because people are still trying to figure out how they got everything wrong. Since you clearly don't have a clue when it comes to your arguments, or what is going on with the current console wars in general, I suggest you relegate yourself to reading, instead of posting. You are currently the one bothering people on VGChartz btw, I wouldn't be surprised if you aren't banned by the end of the week with posts like that. Goodnight.

Currently Playing:

PS4 - Killzone:SF and Assasins Creed 4

XBox One: BF4, CoD:Ghosts, Dead Rising 3, Forza 5

Changing channels with my voice: priceless!!!

eugene said:
Note that this certainly can hurt the PS3 alot as everyone knows that GTA 4 will be either as big or even much bigger than Halo 3. If people believe the PS3 version is inferior, it can hurt it alot. Take The Orange Box on the PS3 for example.

You're right.. Orange Box did really badly on PS3. Even some of the best-selling multiplatform games for ps3 have sold significantly less than the xbox360 counterpart. This game will probably sell about 1/3 on PS3 and 2/3 on Xbox360.

I think people are overestimating the effect on hardware sales that GTAIV is going to have.

First of all, to say that it's a system seller is very misleading considering that the PS2 was already selling extremely well without it. Then there's the fact that both the 360 and PS3 will still be above mass market price point(even if the former gets a price drop). If anything, it'd be more accurate to say that the PS2 was a GTA-mover as the game was able to sell as well as it did because it was released on a very popular console that was selling like mad.

The downloadable content probably won't be a factor as far as casuals are concerned, and casuals are mainly the people who will be buying it. They don't seem to care too much about Xbox Live to begin with, much less content that's going to be offered over the service, especially when they have to pay for it.

Consoles owned: Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, PSP, DS, PS3

damkira said:
eugene said:
Note that this certainly can hurt the PS3 alot as everyone knows that GTA 4 will be either as big or even much bigger than Halo 3. If people believe the PS3 version is inferior, it can hurt it alot. Take The Orange Box on the PS3 for example.

You're right.. Orange Box did really badly on PS3. Even some of the best-selling multiplatform games for ps3 have sold significantly less than the xbox360 counterpart. This game will probably sell about 1/3 on PS3 and 2/3 on Xbox360.

Of course theyve sold significantly less, the 360 has a much larger install base, especially in america. In others, even with the 360's lead, many PS3 multiplatform games sell equally or better than the 360.

Overall, the attatch rate for PS3 multi-platforms is higher than the 360's. Your prediction of 1/3 and 2/3 will more than likely be correct, but thats pretty much what the overall console sales will look like around that time (possibly a bit more in the PS3's favour if they keep hold of their momentum in others)

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned for Sega. - Jason Lee, Mallrats.

http://theaveragejoe.sportsblognet.com/ - Mainly American Football, snippets of Basketball, European Football and Hockey. 

anyone without the knowledge of the geek sell count war. will link gta and playstation together. And there is alot of em in europe. Xbox just got a bigger install base currently.

Xbox360 and Ps3 owner

I spit in your mouth at nite