By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Can GTA 4 tip the balance of the PS3/Xbox 360 console war in favor of Xbox?

CTifer said:
cool48 said:
^Because M$ has lots of cash.

Hate to break it to you bro (assuming you're a dude), but Sony's not some small little start-up mom-and-pop shop. If anything, I think Sony brings in more actual revenue than MS.

Remember, Sony sells $2- and 3-thousand dollar TV's.

However, while Sony has a lot of hardware and production costs, MS is more into the intellectual properties.

Actually sony is worth 50billion and microsoft is worth 280billion in market capitalizaion.

Microsoft owns 90% of the worlds computers, believe me, M$ is richer.

Around the Network

Microsoft Sony
Revenue: $51 billion $70 billion
Operating Income: $18 billion $608 million
Net Income: $14 billion $1 billion

cool48 said:
CTifer said:
cool48 said:
^Because M$ has lots of cash.

Hate to break it to you bro (assuming you're a dude), but Sony's not some small little start-up mom-and-pop shop. If anything, I think Sony brings in more actual revenue than MS.

Remember, Sony sells $2- and 3-thousand dollar TV's.

However, while Sony has a lot of hardware and production costs, MS is more into the intellectual properties.

Actually sony is worth 50billion and microsoft is worth 280billion in market capitalizaion.

Microsoft owns 90% of the worlds computers, believe me, M$ is richer.

I'll have to look into the financial reports again. I thought it was the other way around.

Either way, they're rich too. They could have secured exclusivity, or at least pay extra for episodic content if money is what it all really boils down to. Which I don't believe at all that's why it is this way.

I think XBox Live and a generally more robust software sales numbers in favor of MS is the main reason.

CTifer said:
Either way, they're rich too. They could have secured exclusivity, or at least pay extra for episodic content if money is what it all really boils down to. Which I don't believe at all that's why it is this way.

I think XBox Live and a generally more robust software sales numbers in favor of MS is the main reason.

A lot of games came out earlier for 360 and that because M$ paid the companies to do so.

Around the Network
cool48 said:

Over 50% of people buying it don't know there's extra content.
Over 75% of people don't care if there's extra content ( even the ones buying the 360 version)

I don't think the content is gonna be making a big difference.

Yeah, that is a reality.
SO 17 mln. potential buyers will go among ps3 and x360..
and there is a possibility, tha ps3 version will sell better even in USA.
Though 5 mln. vs 11 mln.

LOL, i just looked hardware sales of PS2 before GTA3, GTA3:VC, GTA3:SA releases and after. There was NO boost in PS2 hardware sales. =))

So, it`s probably will be 2 mln. x360 version in usa, and 1 mln. for PS3.
Maybe 3 mln. and 2 mln. =)
Most hardcore gamers already sitting on x360 in usa, but those, casuals still will have to choise.

And yeah, when GTA3 came in October, there were only 4,975,222 PS2 sold in USA. But after Christmas, there were already 8,159,858.

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

CTifer said:
eugene said:

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/xbox-360-to-receive-more-gta-iv-episodic-content/18906/?biz=1

Topic: The Xbox 360 version of Grand Theft Auto IV is slowly becoming the definitive version to purchase next year,

Take-Two said that GTA IV remains on track for release during the second fiscal quarter of 2008 fiscal second quarter (meaning between February 1 and April 30). The previously announced episodic content for the game will also arrive in fiscal 2008. However, beyond that, Take-Two said in the next year, the Xbox 360 version would receive still more new episodic content.

Has anyone ever spoken up as to why MS seem to have the exclusive rights on GTA content?

It's probably not exclusive, but they sure talk about the 360 getting more updates than the PS3 version.

Actually Take Two filed financials, and it showed that Microsoft paid $50 Million for two batches of exclusive episodic content.  I doubt they would pay that much for only time exclusivity.

Link to original story:

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/10116.cfm

Griffin said:
MS made a system that was too weak this gen and games are suffering, Halo3 was a bust, the game sucked for the most part. Now its just time for MS to screw the PS3 owners over by forcing R* to make the game the same on each system.

Your signature block with the game that hasn't shipped yet makes your comment biased...

That is one of the dumbest comments I have seen on VGChartz.

Name one game that is on the market that looks and runs significantly better on the PS3 upon simultaneous release?  Have you been under a rock the last year?  It is factual by now that there are some issues with getting the power out of the PS3...  I'm not saying its crappy (I own one), it is just much more difficult to get the power out of it...

The games will get better but so far 360 is out performing and out delivering the PS3 this generation...

I think that upfront Sony will gain from GTA IV... But once episodic content comes out for 360, it will have a later gain. That is of course unless 360 drops price before the release. If they drop price then Sony will be in a world of hurt until MGS4 ships.

Wow, 50 million dollars for that extra junk? They have too much money.