By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Can GTA 4 tip the balance of the PS3/Xbox 360 console war in favor of Xbox?

I think GTA could achieve higher lt sales on PS3, but initially it might sell roughly equally well on both platforms (about 3.5 or 3 million first year, and 5-6 million lt).

Around the Network

The reason that "overall attach rates for multi-plat games are better for the PS3" is because there are fewer hardware units out there.

The fewer the h/w units, the more narrow the userbase is, and the better attach ratios are to various games. People that own X360s own vastly more games, from a much bigger library. Because of that, you can't have the same percentage of users buy a certain game when the base is so much larger. In this case, however, what matters is the actual sales of the game(s).

Does it matter if the PS3 version of Call of Duty 4 had a higher attach ratio? No. The X360 version has sold about 1 million+ more copies. That's all that Activision cares about: actual sales. A software company cares about sales, not percentages. If software is selling better for them on a specific platform, it's selling better on that platform.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

halil23 said:
Griffin said:
MS made a system that was too weak this gen and games are suffering, Halo3 was a bust, the game sucked for the most part. Now its just time for MS to screw the PS3 owners over by forcing R* to make the game the same on each system.

It so true and so sad, PS3 owner have to play low quality multiplatform because of *cough* crapbox *cough*.

TYLERxDURDEN, totally agreed except "the war will be over". Hello! there's that sweet wii too.

madskill, man you need to jump of the cliff NOW! So we don't have to bother seeing your stupid bashing Sony comment. And don't tell me you don't bash Sony cause you had a ps1/2. The reason you got ps1/2 because it so popular that almost every gamer has one, so you want to be part of that mainstream. Therefore you decide to buy one, even if you hate Sony. Your so sad and mentually retard.

You really piss me off and offically my worst RROD enemy. BTW hope yours get the RROD so you can be busy talking to Micro$oft hotline to fix your damn crapbox and therefore won't have time to go on vgchartz to bother us. THAT WOULD BE FREAKIN SWEET!!!

Ummm ... did your nana NOT teach you manners? Oh, I didn't initially have a strong distaste for Sony. It was just after getting shafted by them repeatedly - I can remember having to buy a $30 RF modulator JUST TO PLAY MY PS1 on a regular TV when the console should have had RCA outs - and let's not talk about the PS2 HDD ... yeah, remember that? It launched at a $100 price point and lost support like Pam Anderson in a 32 cup. And just when I was gonna think about Sony gonna do right, they orphaned the 20gb PS3 and the 60gb PS3 without giving them a real chance whatsoever.

I used to sing Sony's praises, but then I asked myself 'Why?' Why in the devil do I continue to give over my hard-earned for this? I am sending the message that it's ok for Sony to do whatever they want.' Their statement last year - we'll sell 5 million units without games in the first 6 months after launch was downright arrogant.

And I am a full-grown man, unlike you, who couldn't be more than 13 and has a PS3 because Moma (maybe Daddy) wanted to buy you one. Otherwise, you'd still me on your hand-me-down PS1, having delusions of it being a PS3.

And unlike most drones like you, I do have a mind and didn't buy the PSs because of the popular choice. I bought a PS1 because I wanted it. I bought a PS2 because I wanted to play a game.

You fail, son, at bashing me. Your hatin' is laughable and you are nothing more than a tool and a Sony drone. Get back to work at SDF - don't you have some digital propaganda to spread? Or will you just hit your local Wal-Mart and *try* to convert nonbelievers into believing that paying $400 for a much better video game experience is better than paying $279 plus tax for virtually the same experience on an Xbox 360 Arcade? I dunno if you've been keeping score, but your superior PS3 is still million upon millions of sales behind.

You disappoint me ...

What really makes me cringe are your strong opinions toward folks who don't share a willingness to sip some Jim Jones Kool-Aid and go down Sony's path. Nice way to win over folks by bashing their opinions. Thanks for my daily laugh at stupidity on display.

"And I am a full-grown man, unlike you, who couldn't be more than 13 and has a PS3 because Moma (maybe Daddy) wanted to buy you one"

Ok, now please try to act like an "adult" ...

No one game will tilt the balance. It will be a combination of things which include good games,marketing and overall appeal. Only time will tell.

Around the Network

Ontopic: the article is updated:

"UPDATE: We've been informed that the content Take-Two referred to is actually the second previously announced episodic pack, now slated for fiscal 2009, and not actually new. We apologize for any confusion.... "

I think the balance of the console war is already in favour of xbox 360.

Willem said:
"And I am a full-grown man, unlike you, who couldn't be more than 13 and has a PS3 because Moma (maybe Daddy) wanted to buy you one"

Ok, now please try to act like an "adult" ...

Wow ... I must have pinched a nerve or two. Did you write your parents a thank-you card for buying you a PS3?

@ madskillz

As Willem has pointed out, I was correct in saying the article had been misrepresented. There is no *new* content, and your criticism of my reading comprehension therefore makes you look rather foolish.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=177999 

Branko2166 said:
No one game will tilt the balance. It will be a combination of things which include good games,marketing and overall appeal. Only time will tell.

Ordinarily I'd agree with you, but GTA is an interesting beast.  Few games (even Mario) have a potential audience of 15-20 million people, and even fewer are often seen as the reason why people choose one console over another.  GTA was such a game for PS2, so now that it is multiplat, how both companies approach it could very ell have repercussions for this entire generation.  It will be very interesting to see what happens.