By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Will Sony do this for NGP? (price related)

I think Sony's 2011 E3 will be more lol-worthy than 2006

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH2w2l1JTs4

Around the Network

Just on a side note ...

I think far too many people put too much weight behind estimates from people like iSupply on the cost of manufacturing a device; the obvious question surrounding their estimates (in particular with some of their Apple estimates) is if these devices were so inexpensive to manufacture, why doesn't the competition produce a similar system at a much lower price to steal marketshare?

How many handheld devices have dual core processors? How much do they cost? How many manufacturers even have quad core processors on their handheld device roadmaps?

How many handheld devices use 5" OLED screens?

I think the above are both going to be very expensive especially initially.

Tease.

A handheld device costing 400? Why, that's almost as preposterous as a home console device costing 599 US dollars!

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

dtewi said:

A handheld device costing 400? Why, that's almost as preposterous as a home console device costing 599 US dollars!

Shhh! Sony likes doing it to the extremes, don't encourage them!

Tease.

Around the Network
mchaza said:
Joelcool7 said:
Hynad said:
Joelcool7 said:

I think Sony will announce a 350$ and a 400$ model. I bet the manufacturing cost of one of these puppies is about 500USD. If they sell for less then they will really be taking a loss, but we know Sony loves to launch at a loss.

500USD manufacturing cost?  

Now I would like to read the reasons why you think it's so high. lol

Now as far as the OP is concerned, Sony said they wanted to sell it at a profit, yet make it affordable.  Now, what we need to know is their definition of "affordable".

I'd say the biggest factor is we all know Nintendo never sells at a loss which means for the 3DS to cost 250 it must have a manufacturing cost of around 200USD.

Now if the 3DS has such a high cost I'd assume the NGP which makes the 3DS look like a childrens toy (Spec wise) is going to carry a much heavier cost.

Track pad on the back - 30USD

Two Cameras- 30USD

Gyroscopes etc...etc... 50USD

The processors and such 300USD

The screen -50 USD

The other components (Remaining price)

Now the PS3 currently costs 300CDN and Sony is barely making a profit. Take that technology make it smaller , that costs money. I'm betting the power would cost at least 300USD .

Then again I'm not a hardware expert. But I'd think 500 is a reasonable cost.

you are wrong on the costs there. You will be susprized how cheap they can make and buy those things. See when it comes to prices we only see the comsumer price which is around 200% higher than the maufacturing in most cases.

for You to buy an quad 4 ARM proccessor would cost you around 300 , for sony they would of sign an deal with ARM for the maunfacturing specs, started making the proccessors and dont mark up there own component for the system so the real cost for the proccessor would be <50 dollars max.

Those 2 cameras would cost <1-3 dollars for both, trackpad will again cost close to nothing.

the most expensive items will be the case, screen, memory and proccessor. The maufacturing costs could be around 200 dollars an system but they have to sell it to the retailes at around 100% mark up to make them happy and allow sales.

Case is dirt cheap - only initial cost of molds could be high but even then with economy of scale of few dozens of milions it will be something like a buck or two (maybe even less)

The only things that can be expensive here is quad core arm and 4 gpus but those will be dropping in price very fast with 2011/2012 shift into 28nm production process. Also OLED screens can't be that expensive:

Samsung Wave costs 300 euro to buy in shop and comes with 3,3" 480x800 oled screen 1Ghz arm cpu and powerfull gpu.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

dtewi said:

Indeed. E3 2011 is promising a lot. I expect lots of memes originating of it.

Above: still the best game of the year.

Zlejedi said:

Case is dirt cheap - only initial cost of molds could be high but even then with economy of scale of few dozens of milions it will be something like a buck or two (maybe even less)

The only things that can be expensive here is quad core arm and 4 gpus but those will be dropping in price very fast with 2011/2012 shift into 28nm production process. Also OLED screens can't be that expensive:

Samsung Wave costs 300 euro to buy in shop and comes with 3,3" 480x800 oled screen 1Ghz arm cpu and powerfull gpu.

Samsung fabs their own chips, Oled screens get much more costly as they get bigger and I believe they use a cheaper pentile configuration whilst Sony does not and that 1Ghz arm CPU/GPU will be significantly cheaper than the NGP one. Finally Sony may have opted for Li - Po batteries rather than more conventional Lithium cells and process shrinks aren't always cheaper on a per transistor basis, keep that in mind. AMD gave up on 32nm for their GPUs for precisely that reason.

Tease.

I think people are overestimating the BOM of the NGP.

The ARM Cortex A9 CPU and SGX543MP4 GPU, display module, NAND flash, touchscreen assembly and LiPo battery are the most expensive components.

By comparison, the 16GB Non 3G iPad has a BOM of $250.60 as estimated by iSuppli back in mid-2010 with an estimated manufacturing cost of $9.00.

Other than the updated A9 and SGX GPU, there isn't a huge difference in BOM pricing here. Anyone who opines that both chips are $100 components isn't fooling anyone. OLED displays are currently available in commercial media players priced under $200 and Sony is almost guaranteed to be their own OEM supplier for the NGP displays, so I don't see the price of these being more than the 1024x768 IPS 9.7" displays used by the iPad.

Personally, I'll wait for iSuppli estimates, but I'm thinking a $300 BOM for the NGP is not out of the question.

axt113 said:

I think Sony's 2011 E3 will be more lol-worthy than 2006

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH2w2l1JTs4

They have Kevin Butler now, so its impossible.