By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Will Sony do this for NGP? (price related)

Okay it won't be "599 US DOLLARS" but with the tech in that thing, it will be pretty expensive.

On topic, I think Sony may offer up some rebate incentives if the price is higher than $350

Around the Network

When they release the NGP, i hope downlooadable psp games become super cheap.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

mchaza said:
Joelcool7 said:
Hynad said:
Joelcool7 said:

I think Sony will announce a 350$ and a 400$ model. I bet the manufacturing cost of one of these puppies is about 500USD. If they sell for less then they will really be taking a loss, but we know Sony loves to launch at a loss.

500USD manufacturing cost?  

Now I would like to read the reasons why you think it's so high. lol

Now as far as the OP is concerned, Sony said they wanted to sell it at a profit, yet make it affordable.  Now, what we need to know is their definition of "affordable".

I'd say the biggest factor is we all know Nintendo never sells at a loss which means for the 3DS to cost 250 it must have a manufacturing cost of around 200USD.

Now if the 3DS has such a high cost I'd assume the NGP which makes the 3DS look like a childrens toy (Spec wise) is going to carry a much heavier cost.

Track pad on the back - 30USD

Two Cameras- 30USD

Gyroscopes etc...etc... 50USD

The processors and such 300USD

The screen -50 USD

The other components (Remaining price)

Now the PS3 currently costs 300CDN and Sony is barely making a profit. Take that technology make it smaller , that costs money. I'm betting the power would cost at least 300USD .

Then again I'm not a hardware expert. But I'd think 500 is a reasonable cost.

you are wrong on the costs there. You will be susprized how cheap they can make and buy those things. See when it comes to prices we only see the comsumer price which is around 200% higher than the maufacturing in most cases.

for You to buy an quad 4 ARM proccessor would cost you around 300 , for sony they would of sign an deal with ARM for the maunfacturing specs, started making the proccessors and dont mark up there own component for the system so the real cost for the proccessor would be <50 dollars max.

Those 2 cameras would cost <1-3 dollars for both, trackpad will again cost close to nothing.

the most expensive items will be the case, screen, memory and proccessor. The maufacturing costs could be around 200 dollars an system but they have to sell it to the retailes at around 100% mark up to make them happy and allow sales.

You forgot the battery.

Also, retailers take about 50% of the price that they sell? I thought it was like 5-15%.

Videogame manufacturers should boycott those stores.

Hynad said:
Joelcool7 said:
Hynad said:
Joelcool7 said:

Then again I'm not a hardware expert. But I'd think 500 is a reasonable cost.

Yeah, this is just as I thought.  You have absolutely no idea how much it costs to manufacture each components. ¬_¬

Like I said in my reply I am not a hardware expert. I have no idea what specific components cost. I was making a guess and I'm sure the hardware will still cost more then 300$ as high as five hundred. But again that is a guess I never claimed that I knew much about hardware costs.

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

if sony is serious about gaining some marketshare and competing with nintendo then the psp2 should not be priced more than $350. $300 is the ideal price for wifi only version. At the store poeple might be willing to get a psp2 over the 3ds if they think that its only $50 more and it can do a lot more

Around the Network
radiantshadow92 said:

I totally doubt it. They will probably just take their loss like manly-men.

This is an interesting idea, but given the substantial losses they took with the PS3 over the first few years, how hard of a sell is it going to be to Sony's board, to take more losses on the NGP though?

The flip side: they over-powered the PS3 and demanded a premium for it, that didn't work too well for them till they were able to lower the price though, so will they do that with the NGP?  Demand a high-price, forsaking market-share for less loss?

I'll be honest, I'm NOT a huge hand-held gamer, so this decision doesn't really affect me all that much, however watching it play out will be interesting.  Particularly as I think it it might be telling of how Sony will approach the next-gen of home consoles (whenever that may be).

Do you guys really think it will cost $500 for sony to make 1 PSP2.  No way i dont think so.  This might not be a good comparison but the Ipad only cost $260 to make.  The Samsung Galaxy Tab is even cheaper at $205.  These estimates were made by isuppli.  These are fairly new products on the market.  The components the psp2 will have closely looks like what is in the Ipad2 with the exception of the Oled screen, processor, and gpu.  The Ipad 2 is rumor to have a dual version of the cpu and gpu that will be in the PSP2.  Apple is very good at keeping production cost about the same from previous generation models.  If the only major difference in terms of specs between the Ipad 2 and PSP2 is the Oled screen, processor, and gpu i dont see why Sony couldn't manufacture it between $300-400.    I am almost certain the PSP2 will sell for $300 or lower if possible.  

Sony no.

but some phone providers offer Xboxes already with the phone so you might get a similar deal. (dunno what the catch is though).

Also it'd be more as the Ipad deal than Iphone... cause it's basically more a tablet than a phone.... since it doesn't phone...

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

Kynes said:
snakenobi said:
Kynes said:
snakenobi said:

iphone doesn't cost $600-700

iphone's manufacturing cost is around $178,apple doesn't even need contracts to sell it at low price but they make money from it so they do it

but sony would need it

sony will make a loss like they do always with their consoles at the start,they will release at$299 or lower

althought i want a phone integrated,i will even pay $500 if they integrate a phone into it

iPhone ASP is 625 US$, 14102K units with a revenue of 8882M US$. (ncludes recognized revenue from iPhone sales, carrier agreements, services, and Apple-branded and third-party iPhone accessories.)

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20110118007186/en/Apple-Reports-Quarter-Results

Last table, at the bottom of the page.

i was talking about the manufacturing cost being low

Apple gross margin is in the ~40%. If the ASP of the iPhone is at 625 US$, do you really think the manufacturing cost is near 200 US$? That gives you a gross margin near 70%, not in line with apple numbers.

Net sales $ 26,741
Cost of sales (1)   16,443

Gross margin   10,298

cost of sales can include other things too

http://www.merinews.com/article/apple-iphone-4-manufacturing-cost-187-reports-isuupli/15825378.shtml

almost all smartphones are around the same price

i know they seem very costly and premium but they aren't

Aion said:

When they release the NGP, i hope downlooadable psp games become super cheap.

all psp games are to become $10 or less in the playstation suite