Forums - Sales Discussion - The 3DS vs PSP2 (NGP) battle: Who will win the console wars ?

Oh boy....

Around the Network
iron_megalith said:

Oh boy....

I like this pic. But this one is better for the situition I think.

Above: still the best game of the year.

3ds with a small margin

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

Oh come on, obviously the 3DS is gonna win.  All they have to do is change nothing and they will win.  Just do the same stuff...in 3d! And win.  But I expect NGP to do quite well as well, so it's all good.

you forget that the 3DS is $342 USD in the Europe 

If NGP can come in at 300 USD it wouldn't be so bad. 

Also 3DS is going to have an entire year with no competition. NGP isn't coming out until early next year with its release in Japan later in the year 

Of Course That's Just My Opinion, I Could Be Wrong

Around the Network

To be honest though the second apple inevitable bring 3d to their device the marketing appeal of it will die out. Where as having something like the power of the psp2 will take alot longer to develop.

Yeah i know my spelling sucks but im dysgraphic so live with it :3    

---------------------------------------------------Bets--------------------------------------------------

Conegamer - I say that the PS3 will beat the DS next week in Japan  (for hardware sales) Forfeit is control over others avatar for 1 week.

By the way people realy need to stop saying "this person is obviously gona win" etc because the ps3 was supposed to be unbeatable and yet here we are today.

Yeah i know my spelling sucks but im dysgraphic so live with it :3    

---------------------------------------------------Bets--------------------------------------------------

Conegamer - I say that the PS3 will beat the DS next week in Japan  (for hardware sales) Forfeit is control over others avatar for 1 week.

I had the distinct feeling of déjà vu with the announcement of the PSP2, with the exception that the PSP2 may be at a much greater disadvantage than the PSP was ...

I don't think it is questionable that the PSP2 will release significantly later than the 3DS, at a significantly higher price, with games that are probably much more expensive, and with much more expensive and time consuming game development; and these are all the same disadvantages the PSP had but, in relative terms, each of these disadvantages may be worse for the PSP2 than they were for the PSP.

To make matters worse, unlike the Nintendo DS, third party publishers are actually betting quite heavily on the 3DS; and it doesn't seem like anyone is expecting the PSP2 to dominante simply because it is a playstation.

Chibi.V.29 said:

To be honest though the second apple inevitable bring 3d to their device the marketing appeal of it will die out. Where as having something like the power of the psp2 will take alot longer to develop.

This coin has two sides. Pricey games, longer dev cycles, bigger budgets.

And once again it's too early to dismiss the biggest contributor to DS success- Nintendo games - as it turns out, they're harder to emulate, be it Apple or Sony.

Degausser said:

It does take a brave man to bet against Nintendo, and I think I also agree that the 3DS should win sales wise, but I don't think it'll be as clear cut as the DS vs PSP - albeit that's more because I simply see the 3DS not having a hope in hell of selling like the DS, whereas the PSP2 looks well poised to do similiar numbers to the PSP.

While Sony so far has shown the PSP2 similiar to doing the PSP strategy, there are upsides to this. They'll see alot more software support (If it's true that for eg Lost Planet 2 took 2 weeks to port to the device) and it does allow them to create software that distinguishes itself from the rising phone games market. It's worth remembering that not every game is going to be an Uncharted or Killzone, that the Android IoS will lead to more 'portable' style of games priced appropriately and that Sony will inevitably 'show off' the big, graphical behemoths first as that's the systems biggest selling point.

Further to this, I think Nintendo's current strategy with the 3DS can be critiqued as similiar to the PSP's anyway. Unlike the DS - which sold on having a touch screen and being accessible to anyone, the 3DS's biggest selling point has been 3D - something that makes games look prettier... just like the PSP2's biggest selling point. Further to this, outside of Nintendogs 2, their software line up is very 'console centric' too - Zelda:OoT, MGS3, Street Fighter, Dead Or Alive, Paper Mario, Starfox 64 etc...

I think the PSP2 has potential but whether it can hit it depends on what Sony does from here, and how they treat the device in the next 2 years. For me the PSP's biggest downfall is after a solid launch, software support simply dried up and they didn't have enough to keep the userbase enticed, so eventually people stopped buying software (Obviously PIracy didn't help). Sony need to consistently release games that actually get any marketing, we'll see.

I can envision bomberman and pilotwings being great for on-the-go gaming.