By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Death in Comics and Cartoons.

SPOILER WARNING ABOUT FANTASTIC FOUR COMIC READERS:

Ok.

So, recently Johnny Storm (The Human Torch) kicked the bucket.

Since he was a high profile hero, being on the fantastic four, i wanted to ask:

Which hero deaths in comics & cartoons had you genuinly feeling sad? For me i guess, the most recent one was Nova's and Starlord's sacrifice in Thanos Imperative. Shit was epic. Of course, as a kid, i wept in the original Transformers movie too.

"You won't find Adobe here in Nairobi"

Around the Network

Heh, so i guess no one reads comics.

No, because it never lasts. Johnny will return due to time travel or some sort of Marvel equivalent of Crisis on Infinite Earths, or we'll figure out it was actually caused by Scarlet Witch's pmsing, or Mantis will intercede to rewrite the rules of reality (again), or some combination of the set

As far as American comics go, at any rate. If Anime characters die, they usually stay dead (but that's *if* they actually die, unlike, say, Pell in One Piece, Momo Hinamori in Bleach, or Gaara in Naruto, hell, the whole frickin' village of Konoha in Naruto at one point...)

Spoilers also help to diminish the emotional impact, but if i really liked a character and am certain that they are actually dead, then yes, i can get sad. Kamina in Gurren-Lagann did that, as did Hughes in Fullmetal Alchemist

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Sad? only 2 times cause superman came back.. cap america came back.. batman came back.. even freaking bucky and robin (2) came back... other characters like cable can stay dead.. they ain't worth a tear

the only time i was sad was with Bambi's mother and ofcourse Mufasa in the Lion king, when  simba tries to crawl under his paw... :(

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Though I had problems with parts of the story, the build-up to Superman's death was pretty amazing. A six issue long fight across the country.

And everybody felt just a little bit sad when Marv died in Sin City.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network

Well, in american comics there was a saying, that everyone comes back except uncle Ben, Bucky and Jason Todd. But even that rule was brocken, at least with the last two. We are not arguing that death is permanent, rather which "leave of absence" was more impactful for you personally in comics. In cartoons, death seems to stick more (Disney is a prime example in that). Superman dying back then was a big deal because when people think comics, Superman is the most iconic. Cap dying was big, because he is a symbol of an iddilic America. It's the way of death that's interresting in comics, the last stand under overwhelming enemies, rather than the time until the eventual return.

I still miss Girl One. I loved how she got mad at Kelmo when she found out that dogs are colorblind

oh, and Rorschach

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Comics: Rorschach and V

Animated Movies: Mufasa,Carl's wife in Up, The little girl in Grave of the Fireflies,

Anime: Kamina from Gurren Lagann

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Mr Khan said:

No, because it never lasts. Johnny will return due to time travel or some sort of Marvel equivalent of Crisis on Infinite Earths, or we'll figure out it was actually caused by Scarlet Witch's pmsing, or Mantis will intercede to rewrite the rules of reality (again), or some combination of the set

As far as American comics go, at any rate. If Anime characters die, they usually stay dead (but that's *if* they actually die, unlike, say, Pell in One Piece, Momo Hinamori in Bleach, or Gaara in Naruto, hell, the whole frickin' village of Konoha in Naruto at one point...)

Spoilers also help to diminish the emotional impact, but if i really liked a character and am certain that they are actually dead, then yes, i can get sad. Kamina in Gurren-Lagann did that, as did Hughes in Fullmetal Alchemist

I agree. Captain America got assassinated,but, came back. In mangas/anime, when a character dies they are usually dead. When we see a dead character return in mangas/anime its usually in flashbacks or memories.

They better not replace Johnny with that stupid robot again.  Am I the only one that remembers the robot? 

Boy am I old...

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger