By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - do you love the hate nintendo gets?

"Why don't you love me Nintendo? I HATE YOU!"

Around the Network
MaxwellGT2000 said:
Torillian said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
Doobie_wop said:

I hate the love Nintendo gets, I'm cool like that.

Hrm... good for you...?

Not exactly sure how positive vibes harm anyone lol 

doesn't have to be harmful to be irritating.  I too dislike some of the Ninty love where Nintendo just can do no wrong, Wii games can't possibly lose money because they only cost a dream and a unicorn fart, and they're the only ones in the current generation of consoles.   It's like that Middle School girl writing Jenny Miyamoto in her notebook and dotting the i's with hearts kind of love.  annoying.

Uh huh... And mindless people that seem to follow what corporate PR says as truth gets on my nerves too but you don't see me saying that in threads whenever there's a bunch of spin involved... honestly though there's two sides of that story being all the needless/unprofessional hate and maybe if people weren't so hateful then we'd have fewer people adamantly and annoyingly defending them eh?

Honestly what you states is annoying of all fans not just Nintendo fans... its a trait they all share, ALL OF THEM.  You might as well be just stating you don't like fans, cause guess what die hard star wars fans will defend the new trilogy, die hard Microsoft fans will defend XBL pricing and console failures, Sony fans will defend going from the top of sales to the bottom and losing billions of dollars in the process, and Nintendo fans will defend some of Nintendo's odd choices...

Nintendo fans defend things that directly affects their gaming though. Sony fans may defend some of Sony's corporate choices like removing Linux or they may defend the sales of a certain quarter, but I haven't seen many of them defending Sony's line-up in 2007 or the GT5 delays or the lack of party chat. Everyone would complain and as time went on, Sony began to fix those problems.

The majority of the negative things that come up involving Nintendo is defended to the point of irrationality. Crappy online service? Screw online gaming. Achievements? Screw Achievements. Sparse line-up? Nintendo are game developing GODS! Region locking, who needs imported games? Third Party support? Third Parties suck monkey balls and we don't need their garbage. HD console? Hahaha, I enjoy jaggies. Game breaking bug that requires you to send your console or SD card to Kyoto? We don't need patches or updates. Waggle added unnecessarily? Thank God, my wrist needed a work out. Europe getting games late? Who cares about Europe?

The only recent issue that I've seen that's been universally attacked is the one that involves Japanese Wii games being kept within Japan without any sort of word on localization. Lots of Wii fans are pissed, but I'm not seeing many of them voicing their opinion to Nintendo that this issue is bothering them and that they want it fixed, they just seem to mumble about them on forums. The same can't be said for Sony fans who send out constant demands on a weekly basis directly to Sony and actually try and force info out of the community managers on the Sony sites. 

I don't hate people, I just hate when people are screwed out of things that they should have in this day and age of gaming. Most of the things I listed can be easily implemented into the Wii or any future Nintendo device, but a lot of them will go unnoticed or will be lacklustre because Nintendo thinks that creating Wii Science is more important than creating a decent online network. 

This was much longer than I wanted it to be, but I'm bored and I keep dying in Persona 4, so I'm also a little agitated. Once again, I don't intend to offend anyone and I may be wrong about some things, but I'd rather be educated on what I've said wrong and none of it was with intention to harm. 

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

Joelcool7 said:
RolStoppable said:

I love it when it's completely irrational, because then it's easy to laugh at it. But most of the time it's just annoying, because the person who criticizes Nintendo is building his/her argument on the fake basis that he/she is a Nintendo fan or an openminded gamer.

What's sad is when you build up a fake image of yourself in order to be vocal about things that don't really interest you in the first place. This generation is full of fake Nintendo fans who want to advise Nintendo on what is best for them and their fans. There are more of these fake people than ever before and why is that?

Because Nintendo is successful.

This is what I love about VGChartz. I've done it many times. A gamer comes on this forum and says they are a Nintendo fan fed up with Nintendo. They talk about how they loved Nintendo and lost faith. I do a quick profile check to see what Nintendo consoles and games they play. The majority of the time I notice that the gamer doesn't own anything Nintendo. I can then approach them in the thread and call them out (Which I have done) or just write them off as yet another MS or Sony fanboy.

What you've said is silly. I was playing Nintendo systems exclusively ever since the release of the SNES. I've probably owned and played more Nintendo games across the SNES, N64 and Gamecube than many of the Nintendo fans on this forum and even though I've lost the majority of my games over time, I still have hundreds of SNES games at my disposal, along with an N64 and three Gamecubes. Three of my favourite consoles ever are Nintendo systems and the main reason I loved Nintendo was because they were able to keep up with the best in terms of hardware and software. This generation changed all that, I was willing to buy a Wii and after a substantial amount of time owning  the device, I decided to sell it, which is the first time I've ever sold one of my Nintendo consoles. Their competitor was able to offer me the things I wanted, because Nintendo wasn't willing to change enough to meet my demands, they made more money that way, but I also had a richer gaming experience because of it on another system. 

I'm guessing that many people probably share the same view and you saying that they are all liars is kind of insulting and only strengthens my perception that console fans are willing to make the worse out of any given situation,especially if it backs up their defence. 

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

Well the most successful often do get the most hate so in Nintendo's case they are seriously doing everything right

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

i love how sensitive fanboys can get, and argue about some company that doesn't give a damn about them.

Around the Network
Doobie_wop said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
Torillian said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
Doobie_wop said:

I hate the love Nintendo gets, I'm cool like that.

doesn't have to be harmful to be irritating.  I too dislike some of the Ninty love where Nintendo just can do no wrong, Wii games can't possibly lose money because they only cost a dream and a unicorn fart, and they're the only ones in the current generation of consoles.   It's like that Middle School girl writing Jenny Miyamoto in her notebook and dotting the i's with hearts kind of love.  annoying.

Uh huh... And mindless people that seem to follow what corporate PR says as truth gets on my nerves too but you don't see me saying that in threads whenever there's a bunch of spin involved... honestly though there's two sides of that story being all the needless/unprofessional hate and maybe if people weren't so hateful then we'd have fewer people adamantly and annoyingly defending them eh?

Honestly what you states is annoying of all fans not just Nintendo fans... its a trait they all share, ALL OF THEM.  You might as well be just stating you don't like fans, cause guess what die hard star wars fans will defend the new trilogy, die hard Microsoft fans will defend XBL pricing and console failures, Sony fans will defend going from the top of sales to the bottom and losing billions of dollars in the process, and Nintendo fans will defend some of Nintendo's odd choices...

Nintendo fans defend things that directly affects their gaming though. Sony fans may defend some of Sony's corporate choices like removing Linux or they may defend the sales of a certain quarter, but I haven't seen many of them defending Sony's line-up in 2007 or the GT5 delays or the lack of party chat. Everyone would complain and as time went on, Sony began to fix those problems.

The majority of the negative things that come up involving Nintendo is defended to the point of irrationality. Crappy online service? Screw online gaming. Achievements? Screw Achievements. Sparse line-up? Nintendo are game developing GODS! Region locking, who needs imported games? Third Party support? Third Parties suck monkey balls and we don't need their garbage. HD console? Hahaha, I enjoy jaggies. Game breaking bug that requires you to send your console or SD card to Kyoto? We don't need patches or updates. Waggle added unnecessarily? Thank God, my wrist needed a work out. Europe getting games late? Who cares about Europe?

The only recent issue that I've seen that's been universally attacked is the one that involves Japanese Wii games being kept within Japan without any sort of word on localization. Lots of Wii fans are pissed, but I'm not seeing many of them voicing their opinion to Nintendo that this issue is bothering them and that they want it fixed, they just seem to mumble about them on forums. The same can't be said for Sony fans who send out constant demands on a weekly basis directly to Sony and actually try and force info out of the community managers on the Sony sites. 

I don't hate people, I just hate when people are screwed out of things that they should have in this day and age of gaming. Most of the things I listed can be easily implemented into the Wii or any future Nintendo device, but a lot of them will go unnoticed or will be lacklustre because Nintendo thinks that creating Wii Science is more important than creating a decent online network. 

This was much longer than I wanted it to be, but I'm bored and I keep dying in Persona 4, so I'm also a little agitated. Once again, I don't intend to offend anyone and I may be wrong about some things, but I'd rather be educated on what I've said wrong and none of it was with intention to harm. 

^^This!

I Wholeheartedly agree, especially with the parts in bold. I will go out on a limb and say something borderline inflammatory, because I feel it needs to be said, and have felt so for a while now.

One of Nintendo's biggest assets, it's loyal and loving fan-base, is also one of it's biggest liabilities!  

As a relative newcomer to Nintendo gaming (you could say I'm one of those who never really got into gaming until fairly recently but was always interested) I find many of the points of view regarding Nintendo software, hardware and even business strategies to be extremist and unhealthy.

There is a consensus among many fans and even developers regarding a so called "Love-Hate" relationship with Nintendo, but it is very rare to see an honest attempt by a fan base to try to come up with anything resembling a coherent, realistic and constructive analysis of the company. Not just a critical one, mind you, but also one going into the company's many strengths and advantages in a manner that a manager within Nintendo itself can relate to.

Sometimes opinions about the company are so polarized, categorically narrow-minded or otherwise ill-explained that it's not surprising Nintendo often come to the conclusion that they're better off following their own instincts, as fans don't know what the hell they really want. This is of course not the case, but you would be hard pressed to gather a clear opinion from Nintendo followers by trying to sort through so many inconsistent, rampant and occasionally borderline-emo statements coming from the player-base.

Personally, I think a lot of this failure to communicate comes from the fact that a large portion of the "original" Nintendo fan-base is biased in one way or another. Having played Nintendo games during the defining years of their childhood, it's probable that they have formed an image of Nintendo that is strongly associated with their own personal, internal experiences growing up. This is in fact a well-known and documented phenomena in psychology and has also been discussed in the media in relation to the old star-wars films vs. the new ones, for example.(so please don't take this as a personal attack by myself on loyal Nintendo fans throughout the world, as I do not intend it to be as such by any means. Thank you for holding on to your pitchforks just a bit longer )

The main problem here, as far as I can understand is twofold:

1) Childhood experiences are personal, individual and extremely rigid!

This makes them both objective from a personal point of view on the one hand (they are what we take for granted as being obvious - the basis for our later experiences), and highly differing from a global point of view (each person has a different "mental image" of Nintendo, since everybody grows up differently and has a different perception of "the Nintendo experience").

Clearly there is no way a coherent criticism of the company can be extracted from such raw material, as it would seem to be impossible to even describe what Nintendo is, not to mention what it isn't, based on such wildly divergent and biased experiences.

2) Childhood experiences are inherently difficult to communicate!

This is also something that developmental psychology has explained, as many of our earlier life experiences are not processed through verbal channels, but rather through more abstract sensory and emotional ones, and therefor are appropriately more difficult to translate into words should the need arise.

Once again, this makes such experiences very bad candidates for forming the basis of any critical thinking since we can't even communicate them properly! Not even to ourselves, let alone to others!

*                                        *                                            *

The way I see it, in order to offer better, more coherent criticism to the company, we must first do a much better job of communicating our personal preferences and expectations within the fan community. Only after having reached a consensus (or at least something close to one) should we try to make our opinions heard by the company... Otherwise, why should they listen!?

I realize I have been rambling on for quite a while now.. This is,to me, an important subject and one which I would like to take the opportunity to further explore and develop in its own thread... which I will be starting now

Cheers!

Until you've played it, every game is a system seller!

the original trolls

Wii FC: 4810 9420 3131 7558
MHTri: name=BOo BoO/ID=BZBLEX/region=US

mini-games on consoles, cinematic games on handhelds, what's next? GameBoy IMAX?

Official Member of the Pikmin Fan Club

Nintendo thinks that creating Wii Science is more important than creating a decent online network. 

^^This!

I Wholeheartedly agree, especially with the parts in bold. I will go out on a limb and say something borderline inflammatory, because I feel it needs to be said, and have felt so for a while now.

One of Nintendo's biggest assets, it's loyal and loving fan-base, is also one of it's biggest liabilities!  

As a relative newcomer to Nintendo gaming (you could say I'm one of those who never really got into gaming until fairly recently but was always interested) I find many of the points of view regarding Nintendo software, hardware and even business strategies to be extremist and unhealthy.

There is a consensus among many fans and even developers regarding a so called "Love-Hate" relationship with Nintendo, but it is very rare to see an honest attempt by a fan base to try to come up with anything resembling a coherent, realistic and constructive analysis of the company. Not just a critical one, mind you, but also one going into the company's many strengths and advantages in a manner that a manager within Nintendo itself can relate to.

Sometimes opinions about the company are so polarized, categorically narrow-minded or otherwise ill-explained that it's not surprising Nintendo often come to the conclusion that they're better off following their own instincts, as fans don't know what the hell they really want. This is of course not the case, but you would be hard pressed to gather a clear opinion from Nintendo followers by trying to sort through so many inconsistent, rampant and occasionally borderline-emo statements coming from the player-base.

Personally, I think a lot of this failure to communicate comes from the fact that a large portion of the "original" Nintendo fan-base is biased in one way or another. Having played Nintendo games during the defining years of their childhood, it's probable that they have formed an image of Nintendo that is strongly associated with their own personal, internal experiences growing up. This is in fact a well-known and documented phenomena in psychology and has also been discussed in the media in relation to the old star-wars films vs. the new ones, for example.(so please don't take this as a personal attack by myself on loyal Nintendo fans throughout the world, as I do not intend it to be as such by any means. Thank you for holding on to your pitchforks just a bit longer )

The main problem here, as far as I can understand is twofold:

1) Childhood experiences are personal, individual and extremely rigid!

This makes them both objective from a personal point of view on the one hand (they are what we take for granted as being obvious - the basis for our later experiences), and highly differing from a global point of view (each person has a different "mental image" of Nintendo, since everybody grows up differently and has a different perception of "the Nintendo experience").

Clearly there is no way a coherent criticism of the company can be extracted from such raw material, as it would seem to be impossible to even describe what Nintendo is, not to mention what it isn't, based on such wildly divergent and biased experiences.

2) Childhood experiences are inherently difficult to communicate!

This is also something that developmental psychology has explained, as many of our earlier life experiences are not processed through verbal channels, but rather through more abstract sensory and emotional ones, and therefor are appropriately more difficult to translate into words should the need arise.

Once again, this makes such experiences very bad candidates for forming the basis of any critical thinking since we can't even communicate them properly! Not even to ourselves, let alone to others!

*                                        *                                            *

The way I see it, in order to offer better, more coherent criticism to the company, we must first do a much better job of communicating our personal preferences and expectations within the fan community. Only after having reached a consensus (or at least something close to one) should we try to make our opinions heard by the company... Otherwise, why should they listen!?

I realize I have been rambling on for quite a while now.. This is,to me, an important subject and one which I would like to take the opportunity to further explore and develop in its own thread... which I will be starting now

Cheers!

Whoa, you just went all Dr. Phil on us.

I agree with pretty much everything you've said and your whole analysis seems to be pretty damn good. 

Good job, hopefully we can get a few counter replies in this thread, because I've noticed that once Torillian, myself and now you have come into this thread, no one has been able to make a good counter argument as to why Nintendo and it's fans are the way they are.

The haters just have to wait about 4 years to have a portable with a 3D glassess-less screen. And by that time it won't give nauseas in 10 minutes and won't be unprecise on such a small screen. And definetelly won't be any novelty either...

Thats all about it right now.

I think the gaming industry in the last 25 years has been a dialectic relation between Nintendo and the response of others to what Nintendo offers. Therefore, I'm glad Nintendo is being criticized so pasionately. It means great things are happening.

I really don't care about the hate any company gets. If someone says something wrong about a company/console, I'll correct them.

But on the internet, it can be funny, or annoying if one is on a forum trying to have a reasonable discussion.

In the real world, I do have friends who blurt the usual crap that come from HD fanboys (key word: Fanboys), but I've yet to meet a true blind fanboy.

I've no allegiance to any company. They just make the games and hardware I want, and they get my money.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!