By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - do you love the hate nintendo gets?

DKHustlin said:
Doobie_wop said

You don't think having a decent online infrastructure, a lack of region locking, Third Party support, a decent patch and update system, consistent quality releases throughout the year, achievements and at least a slightly more powerful system at launch is important at all? Even we were just use the online and Third Party support as an example, those two alone are pretty big problems.

I have my settings to 10 posts per page, I should probably fix that, so thanks for reminding me.

if you want those things, go get an HD console:

online and regian locking are the only gripes on that list i can understand, really. third parties can keep failing and closing studiod, the more the merrier. achievements are the lamest thing ive seen come out of gaming in recent years, and graphical improvement in just not necessary. your pretty much saying the wii would have no problems if it was a clone of the hd consoles.

They are basic features, they should be standard at this point. Just because you don't care about them, it doesn't mean that the other 80 million Wii owners wouldn't mind some of those features. It also doesn't help that online is a feature on the Wii, but it's so below average and lacks consistent support that it pretty much tricks the consumer who thinks they'll be able to get an online gaming experience that can at least be compared to the I-Phone.

Also, the 'go get a HD console' line belongs to the HD fans, I've seen so many people use that line when Wii owners complain about Third Party support and the Wii fans seem to always reply with 'I shouldn't have to' and just continue to nag.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Doobie_wop said:

You don't think having a decent online infrastructure, a lack of region locking, Third Party support, a decent patch and update system, consistent quality releases throughout the year, achievements and at least a slightly more powerful system at launch is important at all? Even we were just use the online and Third Party support as an example, those two alone are pretty big problems.

I have my settings to 10 posts per page, I should probably fix that, so thanks for reminding me.

First off, you should know that if Nintendo was caught trafficking children for sex slavery, I'd still argue in their defense. Alright, here goes.

Online gaming is pretty low on my personal list, but I understand that others care much more for it. The issue with the DS and Wii online infrastructure is that it couldn't be changed posthum, so Nintendo and the owners of those systems were stuck with it. The 3DS clearly shows that Nintendo actually listened, acknowledged that there is a problem and offered a solution. One universal friend code per system and you can see which games your friends currently play. That's already a big step in the right direction, I don't think anyone sees this otherwise.

Region locking is an issue that shouldn't be an issue. It wouldn't matter if region locking is in place, if all semi-important games see worldwide releases. If Nintendo as well as third parties manage to speed things up in terms of localization, then region locking won't be a problem. We'll have to see how things go with the 3DS, but that system is already attempting to fix or lessen some other issues, so there are reasons to be hopeful.

Gaining third party support really wasn't easy for Nintendo considering their position before the 7th gen. Every analyst wrote them off and so did third parties. This has been a rough gen for Nintendo, but once again the 3DS shows that they actually do care to get third parties on board. The launch lineup and already announced titles include already more big third party franchises than the DS and Wii had combined.

Patching games is a double-edged sword. On one hand it allows developers to fix some bugs and glitches that they overlooked, but on the other hand it all too often encourages publishers to rush games to the market. Not everyone can or wants to take his gaming system online or knows about the existence of a particular patch, so these people would be left with broken games. For that reason I rather have no patches at all and those developers who deliver sloppy work deserve to be punished. Releasing unfinished games should not be encouraged.

Consistent quality releases throughout the year is directly linked with third party support as there's no single company who ever managed to do that alone throughout an entire generation. Yet another time where I have to point at the 3DS as proof that Nintendo does care.

Achievements are far from being essential to games, I think most gamers would prefer ingame challenges that unlock additional content instead of some overarching achievement system giving you points that have no further use than showing off.

I am not sure what exactly you mean with "a slightly more powerful system at launch", but I guess this is in reference to the Wii. Slightly more powerful wouldn't have cut it to get ports of HD games and making an equally powerful system would have increased the price tag dramatically. A powerful system is not of much use, if you have to wait for a price cut in order to be able to afford it and the PS3 showed that a lot of PlayStation fans were not happy about its price. But you should clarify this point, should the system be more powerful to get ports or is it about personal preferences like not being able to stand the sight of jaggies?

I think I've covered everything. Many of the things in question couldn't be changed within this generation, including the online infrastructure and third party support. Stuff like the Wii's storage problem was solved eventually and Nintendo also gave demos for WiiWare games a go (at least for some of them).

Whoa, I read it all. You made plenty of good points and I've decided that I agree with many of things you've said. I'll just say that after reading your post, I think Nintendo is just slow when it comes to certain things and they should probably try and take a few more risks when it comes to changing during a console life cycle, just like how they use to with the N64 and Gamecube and just like how Sony and Microsoft do it now.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

I think my contribution to this thread is, I am a Nintendo fan....NOT an industry fan. 

I could care less about the video game industry as a whole, but I absolutely love Nintendo. Because so much of my focus and attention is in the world of Nintendo, any hate that they may or may not get is kinda immaterial to me. 

Lol.

Wii U Nintendo Network ID, Borode

XBOX Live ID, Borode

annoying people exist to annoy people who love something that they hate. but what annoys the annoying people the most are people who ignore their annoying articles or crap that they write.

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Around the Network

I doesn't bother me one bit, haters are gonna hate no matter what it is.

Having
Anger
Towards
Everyone
Reaching
Success

i hate the love and and love the hate Nintendo gets as in mostly all cases they don't deserve to be hated or loved!

BoneArk said:

I doesn't bother me one bit, haters are gonna hate no matter what it is.

Having
Anger
Towards
Everyone
Reaching
Success

reported forhaving the perfect ending to the perfect post?

No because it really have got boring about three years ago. Yes because Nintendo needs to hear it to keep them on their toes.