By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - THQ: Games will cost $100 on average next console generation

Degausser said:

This interview has been horribly misquoted and is just another example of what I assume is just another N4G controversial title hit grabbing no-name site. What he actually said was that if new consoles were introduced this year, or even next year, then he can't see the financials 'adding up' at a price below $100. No 'on average' figure OR that it doesn't matter when the next gen starts, reading the full interview there is much less of a story here.

It is interesting to figure out where the consoles are going price-wise next gen, but in truth I think we'll see a sort of 'tier' system of games. Sure enough your Call of Duty's, Assassins Creed, Mass Effect's - the really huge budget titles might go as high as $100 but I think it own't be rare to see what may be perceived as lower budget titles instead only charing $70 or $80, or less. Before the next gen on consoles hit I think we're going to see alot of price / revenue experimentation with regards to the best way of pricing a game and getting that money digitally via DLC, or subscription or something.

Doubt we'll see a new Xbox or PS3 until 2014 earliest imo, and I reckon personally it'll be as late as 2015. The numbers don't add up and neither Sony or Microsoft have any real reason to throw a new console into the fray yet - they're still waiting to see their money back from this generation. Nintendo are a hard one to call but I can't exactly see them pushing the graphics and hardware up beyond the PS3/360.

Finally someone gets it.  I was about to post the same thing.

Everyone is overreacting here.  He's talking about how much their budgets would go up (and with it the price they would need to sell the games at to recoup) if they had to step up to yet another level of production quality on new and more powerful consoles RIGHT NOW. 

Around the Network

they already cost 100 dollars in Australia

daroamer said:
Degausser said:

This interview has been horribly misquoted and is just another example of what I assume is just another N4G controversial title hit grabbing no-name site. What he actually said was that if new consoles were introduced this year, or even next year, then he can't see the financials 'adding up' at a price below $100. No 'on average' figure OR that it doesn't matter when the next gen starts, reading the full interview there is much less of a story here.

It is interesting to figure out where the consoles are going price-wise next gen, but in truth I think we'll see a sort of 'tier' system of games. Sure enough your Call of Duty's, Assassins Creed, Mass Effect's - the really huge budget titles might go as high as $100 but I think it own't be rare to see what may be perceived as lower budget titles instead only charing $70 or $80, or less. Before the next gen on consoles hit I think we're going to see alot of price / revenue experimentation with regards to the best way of pricing a game and getting that money digitally via DLC, or subscription or something.

Doubt we'll see a new Xbox or PS3 until 2014 earliest imo, and I reckon personally it'll be as late as 2015. The numbers don't add up and neither Sony or Microsoft have any real reason to throw a new console into the fray yet - they're still waiting to see their money back from this generation. Nintendo are a hard one to call but I can't exactly see them pushing the graphics and hardware up beyond the PS3/360.

Everyone is overreacting here.  He's talking about how much their budgets would go up (and with it the price they would need to sell the games at to recoup) if they had to step up to yet another level of production quality on new and more powerful consoles RIGHT NOW. 

That was kind of thrown out the window logically by the PC price comment. The games are cheaper than console titles.

-_- games are already at $90 in Mexico. No wonder why everyone here wants to pirate their console.

Try my new level at LittleBigPlanet: Amok's Cave ;D

Get your Portable ID!

Currently playing 
PS3: Uncharted 3, Resistance 3.
Wii: - 

Hyped for: The Last Guardian, Binary Domain.

THQ is mad, but atleast Nintendo will still only charge 60 next gen.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Around the Network

Haven't they learnt anything?

High prices will lose them buyers...

Look at the PS3 when it was 600$.

they can have 100 **** up their ***!!

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

lol if they cost a $100 in the US it will cost $200 a GAME in Australia. fucking great.

the way I read it, the guy doesn't say that games will cost 100$ next gen, he says that it would be the price if the next generation came out NOW

daroamer said:
Degausser said:

good to see other people understood what the THQ executive actually said