By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - THQ: Games will cost $100 on average next console generation

actually we pay 80-100 here in sweden now which is about 500-600 sek but if it goes up more we will pay like 1500 :O no fucking way!

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Around the Network

Can someone explain to me why the hell prices would go up that badly when current gen games already are running at insane resolution and graphic details at PC ? And you don't hear companies crying that PC port costed them zylions of dollars.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

Zlejedi said:

Can someone explain to me why the hell prices would go up that badly when current gen games already are running at insane resolution and graphic details at PC ? And you don't hear companies crying that PC port costed them zylions of dollars.

Its not the resolution, it is the work needed to create the detailed graphical assets (like 3D objects, textures, shader effects, etc.); and also the increase in work needed to create more of these objects in game to create detailed environments.

Lots of HD games are still have very low detailed objects and environments when you compare them to Pixar movies; and if you boost processing power, and developers take advantage of this processing power, we will (probably) be approaching objects and environments which are as detailed as pre-rendered movies and costs will increase.

RolStoppable said:

If we want gaming to be taken seriously, then we all have to pay the price. Gamers, publishers and console manufacturers alike. Gaming should not be held back by money concerns.

Technically new games (PS360) are 70€ here, rougly 95$, which is close enough. Of course, I buy from UK so even the most expensive games are 45€ tops. I usualy just wait few weeks and its already at 10-30€ range.

"And yet, I've realized that maybe living a "decent" life means you won't ever have a "good" life."

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

If we want gaming to be taken seriously, then we all have to pay the price. Gamers, publishers and console manufacturers alike. Gaming should not be held back by money concerns.

Or we could just stop buying games.

It makes perfect sense.

Well I don't nesecarily agree. Who says next gen systems will be all powerful? THQ is assuming they need to make more content better art etc...etc.. but what if the next gen is only 2x or 3x PS3?

Also if Nintendo launches its next gen machine with slightly better graphics then PS3/360 will it be drastically expensive to develop for?

I expect Nintendo to launch its next platform in 2012, by then technological advancements will make developing bigger and better games cheaper. Also I don't expect Nintendo to launch a console all that much more powerful then the PS3. If PS4/NexBox launch in 2012 like they might then I'm sure they will find a way to make selling games profitable!

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

PizzaFaceGamer said:

That’s a very interesting point, but it’s worth noting that in the 80s and early 90s, games already cost almost that much, and that’s without accounting for inflation. Games have been stuck at a price of roughly $50 or $60 for a couple decades now. Maybe it’s time for inflation to take its course?

I don't know if this has been mentioned in the thread, but there are only 2 systems to date that have seen a game retail for $100. The Genesis, with Phantasy Star 4, was mentioned, though some stores did at least drop the price to $90 to remove some of the sticker shock. And then there was the Neo-Geo, which, well... yeah. (Anyone else remember the Funcoland ads showing some games for $150 used?)

Regarding the games in the mentioned time, sorry, but there are no others that come in at $100. The NES capped out at $60/£50/¥7500, the Game Boy stopped at $40/£40/¥7000, Game Gear, Lynx, and NECs systems were at $60/£50/¥8000 (or less, of course). The SNES and N64 came closer, at $80/£60/¥11000, but exchange rates at the time still convert to under $100 ($96 and $87, rounded off). The PS1 ushered in disks, dropping prices considerably, and they've still not even gotten back to the end of the cartridge days! So I don't think $100 is even remotely reasonable for next gen. I'd not be surprised if next gen is $40-50/£40/€40/¥7000 (3DS), $50/£50/€50/¥8000 (PSP2), $60/£55/€55/¥8500 (Wii2), $70/£60/€65/¥9500 (PS4 & 720), but anything more than these prices will only spell trouble...

-dunno001

-On a quest for the truly perfect game; I don't think it exists...