By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - THQ: Games will cost $100 on average next console generation

I'm already hard pressed to want to spend money on full price games. Little Big Planet 2 and possibly Killzone 2 could be the first $60 games I've purchased.... well since Killzone 2. Though I have done a lot of renting.

What's worse is that not every game is worth the $60 asking price and now we're supposed to pay more while they also attack the used/rental market? No thanks.

I'd say if they have a problem with the used market, lower the price of their own games. Many people have sprung up and bought things from Steam because of the numerous sales. While it's a DRM (and I can agree with concerns about that), I don't feel like I'm being treated like a villian while using Steam and the sales have led to me buying games I might not have tried before or buying games I've wanted to buy for much cheaper. Left4Dead 2 or Bad Company 2 for $7? Heck yea!

Around the Network

When a game cost so much to make that they can sell several million copies and still not make profit developers should start asking themselves if it's worth it.

NotStan said:
Seece said:
NotStan said:
Seece said:
NotStan said:
Seece said:

Games will go up to $70 and £50 next gen, but that's 3 years off at this point. Actually the longer it is, the harder it is to even see a next gen ...

Isn't it technically £50 already? Just the retailers don't have the balls to charge 50, so they all compete with each other and effectively bring that price down to around ~£36-39

Hmm not sure, possibly. I know COD and AC are £45 in some shops

I think COD is the only game that I have seen that launched at over 40. I went to gamestation in vain hope that I can spend my gamestation gift card balance to get me some COD only to find them atrociously pricing that nugget at £45, I humphed, kicked the display Xbox and waltzed off.

Most games seem to have the RRP of 49.99, COD being exception at 54.99. But they still usually sell at like £37.99, so they can go "OMG LOOK ITS £12 OFF, WE'RE SO GENEROUS".

gamestation are truly awful for prices, I NEVER buy from there. Check out Tesco and Asda from time to time, they have some pretty good deals on.

Actually Gamestation is pretty awesome for used games, I never brought a new game from there as I usually purchase mine from the internet, Shopto, Amazon etc. I like their deals, got Bayonetta Darksiders for £20 like 3 months ago :p

Hmm I never look at used game prices, always buy new!

They are going to make the videogame industry crash if they do stuff like that.

By the way, if this does happen, I am curious how much "shill" stuff for games will end up in people's signatures on here.  I say shill here as in promotion.  If prices go there, will people feel like they are playing the role of marketing stooges by promoting certain games they may like, or are expecting, at $100 a pop.

Around the Network

Here in Sweden the price for a new game in GAMESTOP/GAME costs 699SEK meaning we actually already pay 100$ for a game

"Dear" THQ, 100$ is very expensive, 60$ is expensive too and $ << €.

hasonap said:

Here in Sweden the price for a new game in GAMESTOP/GAME costs 699SEK meaning we actually already pay 100$ for a game

OMG, here in Spain a game costs 70€, in SPAINNNNN. You are rich, don't complain.

1 euro =1,3598 dollars

70€ = 95,186 $

Seece said:
NotStan said:
[..]

Actually Gamestation is pretty awesome for used games, I never brought a new game from there as I usually purchase mine from the internet, Shopto, Amazon etc. I like their deals, got Bayonetta Darksiders for £20 like 3 months ago :p

Hmm I never look at used game prices, always buy new!

Supporting the little man eh, in which case I think internet shopping trumps everything! Except in instances of COD where the supermarkets actually have decent deals.

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

70€ Transfers into 699SEK to so no big difference between Sweden and Spain but comapring with the actual US price we here in europe are paying already 100$

1$ = 6,96SEK

699SEK = 100,40USD

1€ = 9,41EUR

699SEK = 74,29EUR

1£ = 11,13SEK

699SEK = 62,80GBP

There is the price for a game that cost 60$ in USA but 100$ across Europe