By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - THQ: Games will cost $100 on average next console generation

yog-sothot said:
daroamer said:
Degausser said:

This interview has been horribly misquoted and is just another example of what I assume is just another N4G controversial title hit grabbing no-name site. What he actually said was that if new consoles were introduced this year, or even next year, then he can't see the financials 'adding up' at a price below $100. No 'on average' figure OR that it doesn't matter when the next gen starts, reading the full interview there is much less of a story here.

It is interesting to figure out where the consoles are going price-wise next gen, but in truth I think we'll see a sort of 'tier' system of games. Sure enough your Call of Duty's, Assassins Creed, Mass Effect's - the really huge budget titles might go as high as $100 but I think it own't be rare to see what may be perceived as lower budget titles instead only charing $70 or $80, or less. Before the next gen on consoles hit I think we're going to see alot of price / revenue experimentation with regards to the best way of pricing a game and getting that money digitally via DLC, or subscription or something.

Doubt we'll see a new Xbox or PS3 until 2014 earliest imo, and I reckon personally it'll be as late as 2015. The numbers don't add up and neither Sony or Microsoft have any real reason to throw a new console into the fray yet - they're still waiting to see their money back from this generation. Nintendo are a hard one to call but I can't exactly see them pushing the graphics and hardware up beyond the PS3/360.

Finally someone gets it.  I was about to post the same thing.

Everyone is overreacting here.  He's talking about how much their budgets would go up (and with it the price they would need to sell the games at to recoup) if they had to step up to yet another level of production quality on new and more powerful consoles RIGHT NOW. 

good to see other people understood what the THQ executive actually said

It's a shame cause Bilson is actually a pretty down to Earth guy who speaks alot of sense, and the interview is a pretty good read. He's doing a brilliant job at turning THQ around and they're actually becoming a publisher who have more to their catalogue then Nickolodean licensed titles, which is more then can be said of last gen.

Around the Network

Yaaaay graphics!!

Mummelmann said:

Lol, I've been paying that or more for my games for over twenty years!

Honestly ..What is so fun about it =p.?

Chrizum said:

Yaaaay graphics!!

Says the one with Grand Theft Auto IV in his Gamer Card =p.

I think it is far more likely that game devs will be taking pay cuts. They are pricing themselves out of the market and the work will just be done by others elseware for less cash and risk. Consumers will decide the price, not game devs. I do not see a demand in america for $100 games. They will just flop and devs will figure out they need to spend less when making games and make appropiate decisions regarding their budgets. I decided long ago that unless a game was worth it for multiplayer day one than I wait till I can get it for $40 or less. Not to mention DD services offering great value to gamers. $100 dollars a game is a joke. I see games going to a subscription based system before that. Either subscribe to a game for a period of time, or to a dev and have access to their catalogue while subscribed.

Around the Network

100 dollars is an insane amount...I don't think many people would pay that much and if they would then they are going to cut down on the number of purchases they make by about half

I started making videos for youtube; check them out.

Contra (No Deaths): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_OdnbGgupM

Super C (No Deaths): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHoJrHWATgU

Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! (Mike Tyson TKO): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4L7oDV79aw

Systems owned: Atari 2600, NES(3), Top loader NES, Yobo NES, SNES, Sega Genesis, Sega Gamegear, Sega Nomad, Sega Saturn, Nintendo 64, Gamecube, Playstation 2, Wii, PS3 (slim 120 GB), Wii U

You should congratulate me. I destroyed the vile red falcon and saved the universe. I consider myself a hero.

LOL no they won't...what a jackass.

look at all these americans complaining alot of countries around the world already pay that. they get everything so cheap just because there mass market

4k1x3r said:
IamAwsome said:

Who wants to pay 100$ for ONE game. That is why I like Nintendo's pricing strategy, no games go over $49.99 unless bundled. Sadly, if this is true, piracy will skyrocket, and I will join.

And thank god it's limited to 49.99 at most... it would hurt my ass (if I had a Wii) to buy a game that isn't even able to outdo PS2 graphics (generally) for more than that, when X360/PS3's game are available for 59.99 sometimes...

Har-dee-dar, nice stealth troll.  Considering that there are games on the Wii that are just as enjoyable AND highly rated AND popular (albeit less pretty), you are either a blind fanboy, a graphics whore or a flame-baiter.

Well, consider this, Mr. Troll, nature abhors a vacuum, and none so much as human nature.  Upon the release of next generation of systems, if Sony and MS push graphics fidelity even half as much as they did with the jump to this gen, then companies will (eventually) be obligated to push those new boundaries... and that takes money.  LOTS OF MONEY.  Lot's of money for shiny graphics to appease the trolls - hiding under their little troll bridges.

Then imagine that Nintendo cames along and releases their new system that is lower cost, and has DX10 class (not even 11) hardware that is only slightly more powerful than the PS360, but WITH MORE RAM to alleviate the biggest problem of PS360 - ability to push TrueHD with such limited memory.

In this scenario, companies spend LOTS OF MONEY on shiny graphics for the trolls on the other systems (and charge prices to match).  On the other hand, Nintendo would be able to deliver HD graphics (albeit lesser, but great nonetheless - look at GT5 or GoW3) and charge $50-60 for games rather than $80-100.

Short answer:  Nintendo wins.......  again. 

EDIT:  I might also add that I find your comment about Nintendo "hurting your @$$" both ironic and humourous considering the picture you have in your sig.

Crazymann said:
4k1x3r said:
IamAwsome said:

Who wants to pay 100$ for ONE game. That is why I like Nintendo's pricing strategy, no games go over $49.99 unless bundled. Sadly, if this is true, piracy will skyrocket, and I will join.

And thank god it's limited to 49.99 at most... it would hurt my ass (if I had a Wii) to buy a game that isn't even able to outdo PS2 graphics (generally) for more than that, when X360/PS3's game are available for 59.99 sometimes...

Har-dee-dar, nice stealth troll.  Considering that there are games on the Wii that are just as enjoyable AND highly rated AND popular (albeit less pretty), you are either a blind fanboy, a graphics whore or a flame-baiter.

Well, consider this, Mr. Troll, nature abhors a vacuum, and none so much as human nature.  Upon the release of next generation of systems, if Sony and MS push graphics fidelity even half as much as they did with the jump to this gen, then companies will (eventually) be obligated to push those new boundaries... and that takes money.  LOTS OF MONEY.  Lot's of money for shiny graphics to appease the trolls - hiding under their little troll bridges.

Then imagine that Nintendo cames along and releases their new system that is lower cost, and has DX10 class (not even 11) hardware that is only slightly more powerful than the PS360, but WITH MORE RAM to alleviate the biggest problem of PS360 - ability to push TrueHD with such limited memory.

In this scenario, companies spend LOTS OF MONEY on shiny graphics for the trolls on the other systems (and charge prices to match).  On the other hand, Nintendo would be able to deliver HD graphics (albeit lesser, but great nonetheless - look at GT5 or GoW3) and charge $50-60 for games rather than $80-100.

Short answer:  Nintendo wins.......  again. 

After a loss, and things repeat etc bla bla bla.