By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Time for Hollywood to dip into the anime/manga well?

V-r0cK said:

Anyways, I've read rumours of a Hollywood Bleach movie in the works.  I wonder how that'll work casting a bunch of white people as the role of their characters' names sounds completely Japanese....but it'll be ok cause they'll just add in a few asian people to blend in the minor roles so everything would feel all better *roll eyes.

Alittle hard to leave asians out as the plot setting is Japan. As for white actors playing the characters, doesn't anyone notice that the majority of Anime characters look white? I mean their hair colours statures and everything else looks white to me. Just look at Death Note as a perfect example or Bleach or Dragon Ball Z or Pokemon.

Japanese companies like to use white looking characters in their anime's. So using a white actor actually looks more like the anime then using an asian actor. The names is something else though I do know of two white people myself who came from Japan and have Japanese names.

In the end I don't mind seeing anime movies made by Hollywood as long as Hollywood puts some effort into the franchises. The Dragon Ball movie was horrible and any repeat of that situation should be boycotted.

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Around the Network

God,I really,really hope they won't f*ck up with Death Note like they did with Dragon Ball.

If they don't,it will probably be my new favourite movie.

Probably won't be any worse than the existing live-action Death Note movies.  I'm looking forward to this.

Death Note could actually be done well, if they only adapted the concept and general plot, but then let the writers re-invision it. When Hollywood tries to seriously adapt the Japanese stuff, you get abominations like Dragonball.

Actually i think it would work perfectly if they retooled Ryuk (and all the Shinigami, both in terms of looks and removing their comedic quirks), and toned down Misa, but kept all the mindfucks and such. L can remain just as he was, too.

I'd like to see live action Bleach and Naruto, just so i could laugh at how terribad they would be, but anyone who touches One Piece is going to lose an arm

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Soriku said:
Boutros said:

It would be hard to make a bad movie adaptation of Deathnote I think.

But you never know what kind of twisted ideas some people have.

It's an amazing news if it's btw! It's one of the only anime I watched and it was great!

I wonder who should play L in the Hollywood world?

You do know that's not L but Kira/Light,right?lol

Around the Network
Mordred11 said:
Soriku said:
Boutros said:

It would be hard to make a bad movie adaptation of Deathnote I think.

But you never know what kind of twisted ideas some people have.

It's an amazing news if it's btw! It's one of the only anime I watched and it was great!

I wonder who should play L in the Hollywood world?

You do know that's not L but Kira/Light,right?lol

I think he just wanted to use that picture to be honest. 

Acevil said:

I think he just wanted to use that picture to be honest. 

Hmm..but seriously,WHO could play L?

Soriku said:

/reading fail

AHA!In your face,Acevil!!!..1..one..

I need a life .__.

Mr Khan said:

Death Note could actually be done well, if they only adapted the concept and general plot, but then let the writers re-invision it. When Hollywood tries to seriously adapt the Japanese stuff, you get abominations like Dragonball.

Actually i think it would work perfectly if they retooled Ryuk (and all the Shinigami, both in terms of looks and removing their comedic quirks), and toned down Misa, but kept all the mindfucks and such. L can remain just as he was, too.

I'd like to see live action Bleach and Naruto, just so i could laugh at how terribad they would be, but anyone who touches One Piece is going to lose an arm

Stop hating on Naruto!!! 

ehm.. anyways would Slam Dunk work? i dont know though bball is better if you can actually use american players. and GTO! that i'd like to see

kopstudent89 said:
Mr Khan said:

Stop hating on Naruto!!! 

ehm.. anyways would Slam Dunk work? i dont know though bball is better if you can actually use american players. and GTO! that i'd like to see

I watch Naruto and Bleach still (though i'm way behind the present of either the anime or the manga in both, Itachi's still alive for now in my Naruto run, and they just finished fighting over the pillars in Karakura Town in Bleach). But i would be amused to see how Hollywood would mangle them like they mangled Dragonball. One Piece i hold more sacred than that, and quite honestly would be extremely hard to do anything live action with that didn't look horribly goofy without retooling fundamental things (the Gum Gum Fruit would look downright odd done live, no matter how you slice it)

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.