By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Time for Hollywood to dip into the anime/manga well?

Mr Khan said:
kopstudent89 said:
Mr Khan said:

Death Note could actually be done well, if they only adapted the concept and general plot, but then let the writers re-invision it. When Hollywood tries to seriously adapt the Japanese stuff, you get abominations like Dragonball.

Actually i think it would work perfectly if they retooled Ryuk (and all the Shinigami, both in terms of looks and removing their comedic quirks), and toned down Misa, but kept all the mindfucks and such. L can remain just as he was, too.

I'd like to see live action Bleach and Naruto, just so i could laugh at how terribad they would be, but anyone who touches One Piece is going to lose an arm

Stop hating on Naruto!!! 

ehm.. anyways would Slam Dunk work? i dont know though bball is better if you can actually use american players. and GTO! that i'd like to see

I watch Naruto and Bleach still (though i'm way behind the present of either the anime or the manga in both, Itachi's still alive for now in my Naruto run, and they just finished fighting over the pillars in Karakura Town in Bleach). But i would be amused to see how Hollywood would mangle them like they mangled Dragonball. One Piece i hold more sacred than that, and quite honestly would be extremely hard to do anything live action with that didn't look horribly goofy without retooling fundamental things (the Gum Gum Fruit would look downright odd done live, no matter how you slice it)

I get the whole one piece sacred thing, and it was hard transgressing from a narutard to Odaism. However i still love naruto and i hate when people attack it hence my defensive mechanism! :P

You're right i would hate to see live action, and i'd actually prefer it as a manga/anime no matter how u put it

Around the Network

Dear lord, as if the amount of shovelware movies that came out in 2010 wasn't enough. Movie industry is saturated beyon belief now, maybe anime will be the breath of fresh air it needs.

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

"You won't find Adobe here in Nairobi"

"Let's make DeathNote even more emo!"

The manga called Priest has been made into a live action movie and it's being released this year. It doesn't actually look that bad, but I guess anyone can make a trailer look decent. I don't mind live action adaptations, but it just seems like Western directors can never pull them off. I've watched plenty of Japanese Live Action movies based on manga or anime and they usually turn out to be really good and it's mainly because they keep them simple and they stick to the original lore. 

Speed Racer was the only Western adaptation that I've liked and with the seven or so that are being released over the next two years, I hope someone else can get one to stick.

Also, if anyone's interested in seeing the Priest trailer, here's a link:  http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi931961625/

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

Around the Network
V-r0cK said:

IMO, I feel that Hollywood would rather destroy Japan's franchise then to rather make it bigger.  America didnt feel right when majority of the kids prefered watching english dubbed anime over their own american cartoons.

(Side note: Funny, America is having the same issue with the majority of adults who are choosing to buy Japanese cars over their own cars)

Honestly, Dragonball was the biggest anime franchise, it was a great chance to make huge money due to its massive fanbase and its high demand so instead they decided to put a crappy team and cast behind it with a low budget.  And yet, there's been so much work and money put into small crappy comic-book movies and trying to make an acurate adaption as possible.

Anyways, I've read rumours of a Hollywood Bleach movie in the works.  I wonder how that'll work casting a bunch of white people as the role of their characters' names sounds completely Japanese....but it'll be ok cause they'll just add in a few asian people to blend in the minor roles so everything would feel all better *roll eyes.

Kinda funny but it was this mentality that turned Cartoon Network into complete trash.

Joelcool7 said:
V-r0cK said:

Anyways, I've read rumours of a Hollywood Bleach movie in the works.  I wonder how that'll work casting a bunch of white people as the role of their characters' names sounds completely Japanese....but it'll be ok cause they'll just add in a few asian people to blend in the minor roles so everything would feel all better *roll eyes.

Alittle hard to leave asians out as the plot setting is Japan. As for white actors playing the characters, doesn't anyone notice that the majority of Anime characters look white? I mean their hair colours statures and everything else looks white to me. Just look at Death Note as a perfect example or Bleach or Dragon Ball Z or Pokemon.

Japanese companies like to use white looking characters in their anime's. So using a white actor actually looks more like the anime then using an asian actor. The names is something else though I do know of two white people myself who came from Japan and have Japanese names.

In the end I don't mind seeing anime movies made by Hollywood as long as Hollywood puts some effort into the franchises. The Dragon Ball movie was horrible and any repeat of that situation should be boycotted.

Sorry but I find your statement to be wrong.  A problem with a lot of that people (mainly white people i find) would think that anime characters look "white" just because of what they're use to seeing.  In america, their cartoon characters are defaulted as caucasian.  In Japan it goes the same way and they default their characters as Japanese...just white people like to think otherwise?  Take the Simpsons cartoon for example; they're all yellow and Marge has blue hair but im sure everybody thought she was caucasian right?

I read an article about those that have the exact same mentality as what you've posted.  Japan actually draws different characteristics when they draw americans such as they say they'll draw them with bigger nosebridge and other things they listed except i forgot.  If Japan doesnt state a country where they're from then its by default they drew them as Japanese.  Ex. Metal Gear Solid, clearly they made Snake as an american and it shows.  Chad from Bleach, they told his background about him being Mexican etc.  So if an anime hasnt stated a character's nationality then they are by default Japanese.  Thats all there is to it, as Americans by default see their super heros and cartoon characters as caucasian unless stated.

Keep in mind that hair and eye color doesnt matter because many Asians dye their hair and wear colored contacts so it doesnt mean a character with a hair color thats not black and eye color thats not brown is a caucasian person.  You should google up the Japanese rock star Gackt as his apparence was heavily influenced and portrayed in many Final Fantasy characters such as Squall and Genesis (Tetsuya Nomura really likes using him for his character model).  Hope you didnt think they looked caucasian as well.

Death Note as a good example? What nationality did you think L was? Remember they clearly mentioned he worked with Americans and did you not see the difference in art style drawing between the americans and the main characters? I've also seen a number of Japanese that look similar to Yagami Light.

Bleach...hence the title 'bleach' Kurosaki Ichigo 'bleached' his hair.  Hope you didnt think he looked white and completely ignored that he dyed his hair.  His hair is orange too, nobody has orange hair but i guess if its a colored-hair then it automatically belongs to caucasians?  I wonder which character you felt look caucasian? Ishida? Rukia? Byakuya? 

Dragon Ball...hmm Goku doesnt look asian at all nor his family with their black hair?? Did you just completely ignore that and only thought about their Super Saiyan mode and simply by having blonde hair and blue eyes made you think they're totally caucasian?

Pokemon....seriously?? Ash is slightly tanned and has dark hair.  Brock with his small eyes? Nurse Joy has pink hair, officer Jenny has blue hair.

None of what you've mentioned are anywhere near 'perfect examples' and just makes me think that you're really are stuck on "caucasians" as your default.

To anybody that feels the same way you do, you just need to understand that anime characters' nationality are drawn as Japanese by default unless otherwise stated.  Maybe these people just have to hang around with more asians cause I've never once saw an anime character and simply thought the character looked caucasian.

I honestly hope you and others dont expect to see sterotyped-looking-characters in order to actually realize they're not caucasians such as chinky eyes and really short for an asian or an afro and really tall for a black person etc....seriously some people just really need to open their eyes.