By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Time for Hollywood to dip into the anime/manga well?

It looks like Hollywood is working on a Deathnote movie. We all know all the creativity has gone from Hollywood (there is a movie based on the board game Battleship coming as well). 

The Dragonball movie was terrible. As was The Last Airbender. They are also making a Beyblade picture. So is this the time  for Hollywood to ruin anime?

What other ip do you think will be turned into a movie? And which if any do you think will actually work?

EDIT: Here is the link. http://collider.com/death-note-shane-black/70025/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Around the Network

It would be hard to make a bad movie adaptation of Deathnote I think.

But you never know what kind of twisted ideas some people have.

It's an amazing news if it's btw! It's one of the only anime I watched and it was great!

I wonder who should play L in the Hollywood world?

Honestly I am suprised Hollywood hasn't been aggressively going after video games?

I mean for example a Fast and the Furious type movie based on Need For Speed. It would sell shit loads and then they could do a cop movie based on Hot Pursuit in the same universe. They could then sell plenty of merchandise and make a fortune.

Or how about a Call of Duty movie series or a Medal Of Honour one? UbiSoft has siginalled that its franchises could soon be going Hollywood. What about Assasins Creed or any of the Tom Clancey liscenses, his books could be turned into movies easily enough.

The biggest one yet is why Nintendo hasn't been launching movies? Or even some of Microsoft's properties or what about a God Of War movie series?

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Boutros said:

It would be hard to make a bad movie adaptation of Deathnote I think.

But you never know what kind of twisted ideas some people have.

It's an amazing news if it's btw! It's one of the only anime I watched and it was great!

I wonder who should play L in the Hollywood world?

Michael Cera

BTW there have been 3 live action Japanese Death Note movies already. I saw the first one in theaters and it actually was pretty decent. It was dubbed by the English anime cast.

Around the Network
Joelcool7 said:

Honestly I am suprised Hollywood hasn't been aggressively going after video games?

I mean for example a Fast and the Furious type movie based on Need For Speed. It would sell shit loads and then they could do a cop movie based on Hot Pursuit in the same universe. They could then sell plenty of merchandise and make a fortune.

Or how about a Call of Duty movie series or a Medal Of Honour one? UbiSoft has siginalled that its franchises could soon be going Hollywood. What about Assasins Creed or any of the Tom Clancey liscenses, his books could be turned into movies easily enough.

The biggest one yet is why Nintendo hasn't been launching movies? Or even some of Microsoft's properties or what about a God Of War movie series?

Yeah honestly just make a generic war movie and label it Call of Duty and you would have a cash cow. Release a game alongside it and boom Activision's CEO's would die of happiness.

Hmmm... probably a live action Vampire Hunter D starring one of those kids from the vampire movies. I'd usually make a joke about my response to such an abomination, but not this week!

i really hope they stay away from evangelion

IMO, I feel that Hollywood would rather destroy Japan's franchise then to rather make it bigger.  America didnt feel right when majority of the kids prefered watching english dubbed anime over their own american cartoons.

(Side note: Funny, America is having the same issue with the majority of adults who are choosing to buy Japanese cars over their own cars)

Honestly, Dragonball was the biggest anime franchise, it was a great chance to make huge money due to its massive fanbase and its high demand so instead they decided to put a crappy team and cast behind it with a low budget.  And yet, there's been so much work and money put into small crappy comic-book movies and trying to make an acurate adaption as possible.

Anyways, I've read rumours of a Hollywood Bleach movie in the works.  I wonder how that'll work casting a bunch of white people as the role of their characters' names sounds completely Japanese....but it'll be ok cause they'll just add in a few asian people to blend in the minor roles so everything would feel all better *roll eyes.

Nooooooo dont let them kill DeathNote :( Its too good to be adapted by Hollywood!!!

Yeah i know my spelling sucks but im dysgraphic so live with it :3    

---------------------------------------------------Bets--------------------------------------------------

Conegamer - I say that the PS3 will beat the DS next week in Japan  (for hardware sales) Forfeit is control over others avatar for 1 week.