By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Donkey Kong Country Returns is astounding - Let's talk about it

I lost interest in world 7, haven't gotten back to it since. NSMB wii had a more fun single player experience. Both suck in co-op. In NSMB wii you're in eachothers way, and in DKCR half the game only works with diddy on donkeys back unless you're masters in synchronized jumping. (still not as bad as super mario galaxy 2 joke co-op)

Why is nintendo so stuck on lives and so adverse to more check points? The game doesn't have to be easier, but having to start all the way from the beginning over and over and over again just isn't fun. Neither is farming for lives to play co-op without getting thrown out of the level every 2 deaths.

The game sure looks pretty though.

Around the Network
MaxwellGT2000 said:
Kyuubi Ricky SSJ2 said:

Did you see the Crocomire skull reference from Super Metroid on the Foggy Fumes level? 

Awesome reference.

That takes one hell of an eye to catch, I've been really interested in all the references made in DKCR

If there really are that many, we should possibly have a thread where people post all the references they come across so we can have them compiled somewhere.  The one above is a great. 

I'm gonna keep my eyes peeled from now on.

archbrix said:
pacman91 said:

I absolutely love the game! My strategy for beating it completely is KONG first playthrough, puzzle second playthrough, and time attack third playthrough. 

Artistically the swinging vine-gripped platforms really caught me by surprise.  It seemed altogether epic yet practical.

My only gripe would be the motion rolls...9/10 it works fine, but every now and then it screws things up.

So, so true... but for me it's more like only half the time it works fine.  I absolutely deplore this design choice.  IMO the roll move should have been a button, plain and simple.  I also HATE the fact that to bounce high off an enemy you must time your button press perfectly rather than just hold down the button via Mario.

You can hold the jump button with DK, but obviously you can't with Diddy because of his jet jack.

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:
archbrix said:
pacman91 said:

I absolutely love the game! My strategy for beating it completely is KONG first playthrough, puzzle second playthrough, and time attack third playthrough. 

Artistically the swinging vine-gripped platforms really caught me by surprise.  It seemed altogether epic yet practical.

My only gripe would be the motion rolls...9/10 it works fine, but every now and then it screws things up.

So, so true... but for me it's more like only half the time it works fine.  I absolutely deplore this design choice.  IMO the roll move should have been a button, plain and simple.  I also HATE the fact that to bounce high off an enemy you must time your button press perfectly rather than just hold down the button via Mario.

You can hold the jump button with DK, but obviously you can't with Diddy because of his jet jack.

What I mean is, in most Marios, for example, you can bounce from enemy to enemy and achieve high bounces off of each one each time by simply keeping the button held down.  In DKCR, holding down jump and bouncing from enemy to enemy only results in a regular bounce off each time.  In order to achieve high bounces off of each enemy, you must press jump again each time he lands on one with precise timing, and that's what I hate.  There's been plenty of times I needed the benefit of a high bounce off of an enemy to reach a high platform, and missed it because my timing was off and the regular bounce off of said enemy resulted in death.

Not really a big deal in the early levels, but later on it proved to be a very bad design choice, IMO.

Awesome game, still haven't gotten all the mirror mode medals yet (only two more worlds) and I only  have one shiny gold medal, but several golds.  (the game doesn't tell you that theres a shiny version of the gold medal to unlock with ridiculous times in time attack)

Around the Network
archbrix said:
TruckOSaurus said:
archbrix said:

What I mean is, in most Marios, for example, you can bounce from enemy to enemy and achieve high bounces off of each one each time by simply keeping the button held down.  In DKCR, holding down jump and bouncing from enemy to enemy only results in a regular bounce off each time.  In order to achieve high bounces off of each enemy, you must press jump again each time he lands on one with precise timing, and that's what I hate.  There's been plenty of times I needed the benefit of a high bounce off of an enemy to reach a high platform, and missed it because my timing was off and the regular bounce off of said enemy resulted in death.

Not really a big deal in the early levels, but later on it proved to be a very bad design choice, IMO.

I'll have to test it again but I'm pretty sure that if you've got DK alone you can hold the button for the whole jump and get the high bounce, that's what I was trying to say.

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:
archbrix said:
TruckOSaurus said:
archbrix said:

I'll have to test it again but I'm pretty sure that if you've got DK alone you can hold the button for the whole jump and get the high bounce, that's what I was trying to say.

Oh I know what you meant, and believe me, I wish you were right.  It would make the game far more enjoyable to me, but unfortunatley it's not the case.

1.) There are 2 more easter eggs in level 7-1.

2.)Is there a remix of Fear Factory? I didn't knew that.

3.)There are some hard parts but the in general the game is not hard, is challenging as any game should be (but I find it harder than NSMBW), however the difficult is quite different depending on how you play the game, you want just pass the level, is challenging, try to get KONG letters / Puzzle pieces and it gets more challenging, go for gold medals and*****(spoilers) then it gets difficult.

4.) Level design is top level, in Retro Studios tradition, even better than the originals imo.

5.)I agree, I think they concentrated their efforts into a few key gameplay mechanics trying to take the best out of em' but there is indeed less content and variety compared to old Rare games, that's why I would like a sequel in some time.

6.)I don't know but for sure there are many cues from mario, for example the bullet-bill like cuttlefishes, and in general bouncing on enemies got much more important in comparison to old games.

I'm really enjoying the game, I think it's the first present 2D platformer to be considered in the same league as the ones of the 16-bit era. NSMBW is good but not as much imo.

TruckOSaurus said:
archbrix said:
pacman91 said:

You can't just hold the button, you'll just do a little bounce. You do have to time it precisely to get a high bounce

On topic: This game killed my Wii. Probably not, but i'm willing to blame anything and everything for my loss. My experience was the difficulty on a bell curve, started out weird and then became positively infuriating in the Cave to the point where i just gave up and let Super Guide handle it. Then i was determined to perservere, and after that the game became manageable, and now that i'm going back for the Kong stuff and the K levels, downright easy.

Still waiting for my Wii to come back, though...

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

I loved the small references to Metroid in the game like some backgrounds, the music in tidal terror and the volcano level.

Is a great game full of small details. I haven't enjoyed a platformers in years like this one. Even more than NSMBWii that I did like a lot but DKCR has more content and old school fun in it.