By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Donkey Kong Country Returns is astounding - Let's talk about it

1.) The Game and Watch cameo in 7-1 is awesome.

2.) This game's remix of Fear Factory is amazing.

3.) When does this game get hard because I'm only at World 7 and I don't think it's that hard.  In fact, I think it's easier than NSMBWii.

4.) The level design, while a bit scripted(especially the rocket and mine cart segments), is exquisite in my honest opinion.

5.) It feels leaner than RARE's outtings, no underwater levels, very few appearances by Rambi, few barrels, and enemies aren't as probamatic as the SNES games.

6.) I feel this game takes more cues from 2D Mario, I feel a bit of NSMBWii and a tad of SMB3, than other 2D DKC.games.

Now that I've gotten that off my chest, I love the game and I hope there are more of you other than have enjoyed DKCR as much as I have.

Pixel Art can be fun.

Around the Network

I really like it so far. Though I don't get all the threads about people whining its hard because it isn't. Some of the level shoving tons of stuff in your face is a thrill :)

I'm still on World 2.  I haven't been playing as much as I should.  But it really is a lovely game.  I'm going to have a marathon today and get pretty far.

Also, it might be taking me longer because I don't move on from a level until I get all the KONG letters and every puzzle piece.  I don't bother with time trials though... :/

I plan on getting this game eventually, but my Wii is currently 3 hours away-- I lent to my Mom so she could use Wii Fit.

Does anyone appreciate the co-op in this game?

Most anticipated games of 2011:

Uncharted 3,Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Rocksmith

Modern Warfare 3, Super Mario 3D

@Wagram The game isn't that hard but I think part of the mentality is that DKC really scolds stupid mistakes.  Couple that with a player base that probably hasn't played too many 2D platformers recently and you can see why they think it's so hard.  Also the bonus stages, though a bit monotonous after a while, are fun the first few times around.

@Kenology I like that this game gives you the freedom to get puzzle pieces and KONG pieces at your own discretion.  I probably would still be in World 2 or 3 if I was trying to get all the puzzle pieces but getting KONG at the end of a level is satsifying to me.  Doesn't mean I haven't gotten all the pieces in a few levels though

@Gojimaster I haven't played the co-op too much but pretty much anyone can play.  It's pretty NSMBWii-esque in a drop in and out and be a barrel instead of a bubble kind of way.  It pretty much requires teamwork as only Donkey Kong can pound on stuff and Diddy Kong is much speedier and has the pop-gun and barrel rockets.  Though you can play co-op with Diddy Kong on Donkey Kong's back which helps conserve lives or deplete them, depending on the Donkey Kong player's skill.

Pixel Art can be fun.

Around the Network

One question were you going for all the KONG letters first time through? Cause that can ramp things up quite a bit difficulty wise, I mean I'm really good at platformers, getting the KONG letters though made the levels a bit more challenging.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

The inclusion of Mirror Mode which excluded the Diddy Kong hover and only having one heart made this my GotY.  Time attack is challenging fun aswell.

I'm sorry.. I'm distracted.. can't talk... *stares*

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

I didn't like the game. I found it too frustrating and not enjoyable at all. Shame because DKC1 and 2 are easily 2 of my most favourite games ever.

I got up to world 3 (near the end). Don't think I will go back to it. 

However, I loved NSMB Wii (found it easier and more enjoyable). 

I absolutely love the game! My strategy for beating it completely is KONG first playthrough, puzzle second playthrough, and time attack third playthrough. 

Artistically the swinging vine-gripped platforms really caught me by surprise.  It seemed altogether epic yet practical.

My only gripe would be the motion rolls...9/10 it works fine, but every now and then it screws things up.