By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo has "no plans" to bring to The Last Story to the west

Am I the only one who instantly thought of Namco when I heard the words "No plans" in regards to localization? I sure hope Nintendo isn't going down the same route though as we need more JRPG's this gen and this one is looking promising.

Around the Network
Soriku said:
noname2200 said:
Soriku said:

Assuming they start the process shortly after release, It really shouldn't take like 10-11 plus months or something to translate this game. That's way too long for an RPG and TLS doesn't really seem super hugely gigantic for it to take that long really (average localization process for an RPG is like 6 months?). They could definitely get it out this year if they don't wait forever to start localizing it.

Didn't they give some large number for the lines of dialogue contained in the game?   I think you're underestimating the effort that would be required.

It was 12,000 lines...but I read on GAF that isn't actually as big as it sounds. Games like Mass Effect and the next Deus Ex have way more (Deus Ex has like 200k lines lol).

Actually, it's 18,000.  200k is about the number of words. 

200k lines would be approximately 250 hours of spoken dialogue.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Viper1 said:
Soriku said:
noname2200 said:
Soriku said:

Assuming they start the process shortly after release, It really shouldn't take like 10-11 plus months or something to translate this game. That's way too long for an RPG and TLS doesn't really seem super hugely gigantic for it to take that long really (average localization process for an RPG is like 6 months?). They could definitely get it out this year if they don't wait forever to start localizing it.

Didn't they give some large number for the lines of dialogue contained in the game?   I think you're underestimating the effort that would be required.

It was 12,000 lines...but I read on GAF that isn't actually as big as it sounds. Games like Mass Effect and the next Deus Ex have way more (Deus Ex has like 200k lines lol).

Actually, it's 18,000.  200k is about the number of words. 

200k lines would be approximately 250 hours of spoken dialogue.

So crunching the numbers, 18k comes out to roughly 22.5 hours, correct?  That's still pretty hefty!

Christian973 said:

I don't think Nintendo of America is that Stupid to not release their own IP worldwide.

Disaster: Day of Reckoning says hi.

The Carnival of Shadows - Folk Punk from Asbury Park, New Jersey

http://www.thecarnivalofshadows.com 

Raze said:
Christian973 said:

I don't think Nintendo of America is that Stupid to not release their own IP worldwide.

Yeah, but we got that in the UK, and it's nowhere near as hyped as this game has been with this much advertising and events behind it

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network
Conegamer said:
Raze said:
Christian973 said:

Yeah, but we got that in the UK, and it's nowhere near as hyped as this game has been with this much advertising and events behind it

Maybe true, I'm just saying a game that would best be suited for the american audience doesnt come to the US. Nintendo has made some dumb moves in lack of WW launches, I dont hold my breath here either

The Carnival of Shadows - Folk Punk from Asbury Park, New Jersey

http://www.thecarnivalofshadows.com 

Raze said:
Christian973 said:

Disaster was killed for quality reasons... and it still got fully localized, twice.

NOA has binned tons of planned projects over the years though, even officially announced titles (Kirby Super Star Stackers, Sin & Punishment, Giftpia, Custom Robo GX, Jam with the Band, DS Air, Disaster, etc) for a variety of reasons.  They've also secretly fully localized titles that never released, including several RPG and adventure games (Mother, Marvelous, Magical Vacation, ASH, etc).  As always, you never know, but that in itself isn't enough to discount Xenoblade or The Last Story imo.

forest-spirit said:

I could see XenoBlade getting released in late spring or summer and The Last Story in November.

This is sort of what I'm expecting honestly.  Xenoblade in Q2, Skyward Sword in Q3, The Last Story in Q4.  I also think we'll see Nintendo publish DQM Battle Road Victory this year for Square Enix.

Also, XSEED has told people they "have their eye on Earth Seeker".  Pretty sure we'll see them bring that game and Rune Factory Oceans before the year's over.  And there's the perpetual Tales of Graces rumors... this could really turn out to be the year of Wii RPGs, weirdly.