By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will the PS3 and 360 gap grow or close in 2011?

Michael-5 said:
ethomaz said:

So PS3 tied Xbox360 sales in Xmas... now the GAP is roundly 2.8m... one more year...

What? No.... 360 outsold PS3 by about 35% last holidays and the gap is 4.2 million.

Not going to happen, it's been 1 more year, every year since 2007.

The GAP is lower than ever... and became one million lower than last year... VGC or Shipped.

Around the Network
ethomaz said:
Michael-5 said:
ethomaz said:

So PS3 tied Xbox360 sales in Xmas... now the GAP is roundly 2.8m... one more year...

What? No.... 360 outsold PS3 by about 35% last holidays and the gap is 4.2 million.

The GAP is lower than ever... and became one million lower than last year... VGC or Shipped.

VGC say 4.1 million, I'll stick with that. Shipped numbers mean nothing since MS is experiencing shortages.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Michael-5 said:
ethomaz said:
Michael-5 said:
ethomaz said:

VGC say 4.1 million, I'll stick with that. Shipped numbers mean nothing since MS is experiencing shortages.

Like I said... VGC numbers too... that's the lowest GAP ever... the previous was 5.5m... you can use any any data (VGC or Shipped) and the fact PS3 outsold 360 in 2010 didn't change... in fact the GAP drop 1.5m in VGC numbers and 2m in shipped numbers last year.

ethomaz said:
Michael-5 said:
ethomaz said:
Michael-5 said:
ethomaz said:

Like I said... VGC numbers too... that's the lowest GAP ever... the previous was 5.5m... you can use any any data (VGC or Shipped) and the fact PS3 outsold 360 in 2010 didn't change... in fact the GAP drop 1.5m in VGC numbers and 2m in shipped numbers last year.

Thats true, and the gap was the smallest between Sony and MS just before Kinect, but Kinect changed that, and not only has 360 seen stronger sales since, it's still outselling the PS3. Without any major difference in software, and redesigns already made, I don't see the gap changing that much more ever again in the future. PS3 is dying in Americas, 360 is dead in Japan, and hurt in EMEAA. 360 will loose popularity in EMEAA, but PS3 will loose popularity in Americas. They will both stay on par for a long while.

The HD vs Wii differences id more interesting. I expect PS3/360 to sell more units in the pre-holiday 2011 season.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database

First month... January... GAP now 3.9m and decreasing.

And PS3 was a bit undertracked in Australia for 2010 (about 200k).

Around the Network
SOLIDSNAKE08 said:

stay about the same if no ps3 price cut, if ps3 goes to $199 and price cut in europe aswell then it will outsell both the wii and 360 WORLDWIDE. quote me on that.

I doubt Sony will drop the PS3 $100 when it's just starting to make a profit now. If anything, it'll drop $50. If that happens (even if it doesn't", I'm support Microsoft will cut $50 off on all their hardware as well; including the Kinect. I think Microsoft will wait though and see what Sony does.

'gaming till I'm gone'

Michael-5 said:
ethomaz said:

Correct. No idea where ethomaz is getting his numbers from. He must be going by shipped humbers, which are irrelevant.

'gaming till I'm gone'

ethomaz said:

360 shortages took up to 400k off sales in January. It would have been the best selling system for 2011 YTD had there been no shortages.

Michael-5 said:
ethomaz said:

360 shortages took up to 400k off sales in January. It would have been the best selling system for 2011 YTD had there been no shortages.

Those shortages are clearly not in Japan or Europe. and its likely that the 360 will continue to slide into 2010 numbers in Europe before the launch of the slim and before Kinect was released. Europe seems to be following the Japanese trend we saw last year where the PS3 outsold the Wii for most weeks of the year.

not sure what will happen in the Americas, Wii is still strong there and Kinect is selling consoles, only time will tell if those numbers remain the same or go down.

ethomaz said:

No point in tracking every week. Many adjustments will likely happen throughout the year.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)