By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will the PS3 and 360 gap grow or close in 2011?

Zappykins said:

The PS3 is dominating Europe this year and that's really helping them; however, Xbox has a trump card, Kinect.  And it will be a while before a massive PS3 exclusive like LBP2 comes out.

I think if Xbox markets Kinect well in Europe, when they add multi language support, it could really do well for them.  Really really well - especially if they made a great Kinect Football (Soccer) game, and Kinect is the only way to do it with full body tracking.  Multi language support is supposed to come in the Spring, as that's when Hulu Plus and Kinect Netflix support is added (but I'm not sure if Europe gets those.)  Where it works, the voice commands are nice, and my biggest frustration is they there isn't enough voice support yet. 

I see Kinect as an enhancement to the gaming experience, not necessarily replacing the controller, but giving the player yet another way to interact with the environment.  The option to give verbal commands, (including Xbox Pause) in a game opens up a whole bunch of future coolness fun yet to be added.  (Say, "Smokebomb" in Assassin’s Creed.)

French - Xbox Jeu!, German - Xbox Spiel!,  European Spanish - Xbox Juego!, Italian - Xbox Gioco!, Finnish - Xbox Leikki!, Russian - Xbox игра! etc. (Words might not be translated correctly, lol.)

Another big advantage is the PS3's Blu-ray.  Renting movies in Zune in 1080P with 5.1 is nice (almost as nice as a well made Blu-ray), but if they added a monthly fee and unlimited movie watching with a Zune movie pass then it things would really tilt to Xbox as the movie thing would be covered.

It's anyone’s game right now, and I see the consumer really benefiting as each company tries to out do the other.  I think it's MS opportunity to expand the gap if they want.

MS already used their trump card, and if Kinect didn't help push 360 sales over ps3s in a holiday quarter while it was getting the most attention and advertisement and ps3 had games being delayed it certainly isn't going to push them ahead the rest of the year, Kinect has already done pretty much everything it's going to do, sales aren't going up they are going down 

Around the Network

360: 50.9 million

PS3: 47.9 million

Kinect 500 million$ ad campaign 360 Slim Halo Reach didn't widen the gap at all.

Nothing can save Microsoft now, a pricecut will have little impact because Sony will also slash the price of the PS3.

Michael-5 said:
Squilliam said:

Sure, dip your leg into denial. It quenches the flames right?

It's really great mental acrobatics to miss the fact that inspite of the high price of the PS3, people still needed a reason to buy the Xbox 360. If both the Xbox 360 and PS3 sucked then people would have either bought neither or Wii or PC or they would have waited until one of them become compelling enough to actually buy.

I like you because your honest, and intelligent. Thank you! I don't know why I let myself get into these silly debates.

For 2011, both PS3 and 360 have good software. There is no significant imbalance, and we don't know what Fall 2011 will be like. Sony typicall announces all their games way in advance where MS keeps them secret until very close to launch.

So there is no point arguing OHH there is 1 more game on this console.

Big whoop.

Thanks, it gets a bit crazy seeing people arguing with absurdly wrong premises. Anyone who stats with 'X console sucks, I don't understand why it is selling' isn't someone who is worth dealing with unless you're bored!

Tease.

small44 said:

i think the gap will rest the same this year

We'll see, the gap didn't even widen by 100,000 since october. You would think that with all the NPD reports and MS announcements the gap wouldve been widened back to 5 million, but it isn't.  They were talking about North America as if it was the 2nd coming of Jesus.

But globally the gap is still 3 million, thats awful for 360: Kinect 500million$ ad campaign Halo Reach Slim model... didn't change anything.

360 sold in 4 years: 38.8 million

PS3 sold in 4 years NA, 3.5 years in Europe: 47.9 million

PS3 sold almost 9 million more in the same time period. Ouch.

Have you played both Alan Wake and Heavy Rain? I beat both of them. They are different games in the sense they are a different genre, but the level of quality between the two, the fun factor, and duration are all about the same. Insulting the 360 for games like Alan Wake, but ignore the PS3 for games like Heavy Rain is very one sided logic. Maybe you yourself didn't like Alan Wake, but the idea that you picked it out, and ignored Heavy Rain is just plain biased.

Yea, 360 is getting map pack ads, PS3 is getting LBP2 ads. A whole game versus a map pack..hmm..

PS3 has a ton of exclusives coming out the next month? Out of these exclusices which of them will boost PS3 hardware? Don't say Killzone 3 because Bulletstorm and Marvel vs. Capcom 3 are getting just as many pre-orders per individual console.

BTW this week, it looks like 360 will be above PS3 again, but a larger gap, but still likely under 10k (or 5%).

Yakuza is an 8/10, Prey 1 was a 9/10. You insult the 360 list because more of the 360 exclusives are niche. The only difference between lineup is 360 has more blockbuster titles, PS3 has more multi-million sellers, and 360 has a strong focus on Kinect where Sony is more core gamers.

As for those Bonus Content games, the 360 versions of them all get bonus content too. Only notable ones should be Mortal Kombat for Kratos, No More Heros/Dynasty Warriors 7 for Move, and Dead Space - I just found out about the Extraction Bonus content. Also Record of Argarest War 1 isn't even out yet, and from what I've read the sequel won't be exclusive to PS3. That doesn't even make sence to make a sequel exclusive, but the first one not.

Some Japanese Only 360 exclusives - Monster Hunter Frontier, Espgaluda 2, DeathSmiles IIX, DECCO, Ketsui: Kizuna Jigoku Tachi,and two exclusives I know nothing above are Voodoo Nights and Versus Tactical Action. PS3 has more, but I don't think these games make a difference in sales.

That Kinect list was a random list I found when I googled Kinect games. I did say about 5 of them were being released on the PS3, and I've never heard of Fantastic Pets, maybe it's not out in all region for Kinect?

Dynasty Warriors 7, a multiconsole game, will move PS3, when older Dynasty Warriors failed to move anything?

Killzone has the potential to be a good game, but it will most likely just satisfy current fans. If you look at NA pre-orders I beleive Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 on the PS3 is tracking higher, and BulletStorm for the 360 is about the same. Killzone 3 will be a great game, but it's just not that massive of a franchise. It won't push too many consoles since there is a pile of equally good multiplatforms comming at the same time.

I just pulled a Kinect list in 5 seconds of search. Your the one who found some crazy in depth PS3 blog, and still the number of exclusives is higher on 360. So :P

That Kinect game list had release dates, very few were TBA.

Anyway, what I said before, it's not just the number of games, it's the number of console pushers. PS3 really only has Uncharted 3, and maybe Agent this year as console pushers. 360 has Forza, Gears, and it's very likely that a new Halo will be released this year (as 343 Studios promised a new Halo every year), and the 360 Kinect exclusive lineup (plus Modern Warfare 3 being more MS associated) will almost certainly maintain 360 sales above PS3 for the fall, at least November onward.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Around the Network

stay about the same if no ps3 price cut, if ps3 goes to $199 and price cut in europe aswell then it will outsell both the wii and 360 WORLDWIDE. quote me on that.

Gap will shrink, ps3 has a ton of exclusives coming out this year and if either price cuts the other will too and ps3 would benefit more from a price cut, kinect is slowly losing momentum unless MS has been hiding 20 AAA games the gap is going to be less by the end of the year

Stay about the same until some new exclusives get released or the price cut is announced. I'm expecting a price cut to be announced by all 3 companies this year. Expect some announcements at the E3. Sony usually does better in the summer months how. So the gap might close a little. The Wii and 360 are beasts during the holidays and with a price cut on Wii, 360 and Kinect, the holidays could be even bigger this year for these guys in Oct, Nov & Dec.

'gaming till I'm gone'

So PS3 tied Xbox360 sales in Xmas... now the GAP is roundly 2.8m... one more year...

ethomaz said:

So PS3 tied Xbox360 sales in Xmas... now the GAP is roundly 2.8m... one more year...

What? No.... 360 outsold PS3 by about 35% last holidays and the gap is 4.2 million.

Not going to happen, it's been 1 more year, every year since 2007.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results