By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will the PS3 and 360 gap grow or close in 2011?

Michael-5 said:
osamanobama said:

i dont get it shipment figures say the gap is ~ 2.9 million

but VG chartz sales figures says the gap is ~ 3.9 million.

shouldn't sales and shipment difference be roughly the same or at max like ~ 3.4 million

360 has seen massive shortages in the last few months, but having trouble meeting demands.

You shouldn't base your opinions on the sales gap between consoles by units shipped as there are many factors that cause this value to be very very misleading.

well xbox is still raping in the US, and its always very close to ps3's numbers, so even if there were shortages. it just seems very odd that there would be more than a million more ps3's on selves than xbox's

Around the Network
Michael-5 said:
osamanobama said:

shouldn't sales and shipment difference be roughly the same or at max like ~ 3.4 million

360 has seen massive shortages in the last few months, but having trouble meeting demands.

You shouldn't base your opinions on the sales gap between consoles by units shipped as there are many factors that cause this value to be very very misleading.

I was under the impressioned shipped numbers are more accurate then VG chartz, since VG chartz adjusts it's sales after shipped numbers come out 

osamanobama said:
Michael-5 said:
osamanobama said:

well xbox is still raping in the US, and its always very close to ps3's numbers, so even if there were shortages. it just seems very odd that there would be more than a million more ps3's on selves than xbox's

MS is selling inventory as retailers receive shipments. They are temporarily unable to stock up to regular inventory levels. Retailers are stocked up with the appropriate number of PS3's.

Remember, the 360 shortages, just ended, there hasn't been time for retailers to stock up 360 consoles. 360 outsold the PS3 from Sept-December by about 1 million units, it doesn't make sence for the shipped difference to only change by 0.08 million units.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Edgeoflife said:
Michael-5 said:
osamanobama said:

I was under the impressioned shipped numbers are more accurate then VG chartz, since VG chartz adjusts it's sales after shipped numbers come out 

VGC adjustments never exceed 1 million units, and they tend to happen during unexpected changes in the market. PS3 saw an adjustment post Move launch because Move pushed consoles a lot more then expected, and the same happened for 360.

If you really want extremely accurate data, wait for MS, Sony and Nintendo's Quarterly Press conferences. Last one was in September/October, new one happened a couple weeks ago, hence the adjustment to VGC data.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Look at the difference in the number of 360 games over 5 million sold compared to ps3.  Then check the difference in 4 million games sold on both systems.  That's why the 360 leads, it has more games people want to play.  Last Gen ps2 had more great games, that's why it dominated.  If Sony wants to catch them they need better games, making great games that nobody buys doesn't help sales.  Don't get me wrong, I'm glad MS made Alan Wake even though it doesn't sell, because I like playing the game, but Alan Wake isn't what sells systems, Halo is.  Sony needs a Halo.  Uncharted may be an amazing game, but nobody knows who Nathan Drake is.  Link and Mario are household names, and Master Chief is very recognizable.  That's the difference this Gen.  Also, having a system cost 500-600 at launch is just retarded from a sales standpoint.

Around the Network
biggamejames79 said:

Look at the difference in the number of 360 games over 5 million sold compared to ps3.  Then check the difference in 4 million games sold on both systems.  That's why the 360 leads, it has more games people want to play.  Last Gen ps2 had more great games, that's why it dominated.  If Sony wants to catch them they need better games, making great games that nobody buys doesn't help sales.  Don't get me wrong, I'm glad MS made Alan Wake even though it doesn't sell, because I like playing the game, but Alan Wake isn't what sells systems, Halo is.  Sony needs a Halo.  Uncharted may be an amazing game, but nobody knows who Nathan Drake is.  Link and Mario are household names, and Master Chief is very recognizable.  That's the difference this Gen.  Also, having a system cost 500-600 at launch is just retarded from a sales standpoint.

You really think that? Really have you played any ps3 exclusives, ps3 has more exclusives that people want to play, it just has so many more they don't get around to buying them all, where with 360 theres like 4 exclusives anyone wants at all

I expect the gap to be anywhere around 2 million-6 million by the end of 2011.

Michael-5 said:
osamanobama said:
Michael-5 said:
osamanobama said:

MS is selling inventory as retailers receive shipments. They are temporarily unable to stock up to regular inventory levels. Retailers are stocked up with the appropriate number of PS3's.

Remember, the 360 shortages, just ended, there hasn't been time for retailers to stock up 360 consoles. 360 outsold the PS3 from Sept-December by about 1 million units, it doesn't make sence for the shipped difference to only change by 0.08 million units.

Keep in mind that there are several factors that play into the increased inventory gap.  The most important one being that Sony now ships to alot of countries the 360 doesn't, that increased base is always going to lead to a larger inventory gap, you can only be so streamlined.  Second, is the PS3 had lower than expected sales during the holiday season in the US, that lower sales figure should eventually result in lower shipment numbers in Sony's 4th quarter.  And finally, 360's sales surge in the US which resulted in a complete sell through of inventory for MS.  US retailers will be working to get that inventory back up this quarter so expect a larger than normal 1st quarter for MS shipments. 

So in the end a 1 million gap between the two is probably spot on, or atleast close enough for government work.

scat398 said:
Michael-5 said:
osamanobama said:
Michael-5 said:
osamanobama said:

Keep in mind that there are several factors that play into the increased inventory gap.  The most important one being that Sony now ships to alot of countries the 360 doesn't, that increased base is always going to lead to a larger inventory gap, you can only be so streamlined.  Second, is the PS3 had lower than expected sales during the holiday season in the US, that lower sales figure should eventually result in lower shipment numbers in Sony's 4th quarter.  And finally, 360's sales surge in the US which resulted in a complete sell through of inventory for MS.  US retailers will be working to get that inventory back up this quarter so expect a larger than normal 1st quarter for MS shipments.

So in the end a 1 million gap between the two is probably spot on, or atleast close enough for government work.

And if Sony shipped over 2.5m this quarter?

I will get slightly smaller... but not by much